hydralic hand brake

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Falken-18c
Second Gear

hydralic hand brake

Post by Falken-18c »

has any body used a hydralic hand brake (e-brake) just woundering what the pros and cons are probly. i never use my e brake only on a hill i think its just to mainley drift. was looking at one says drift and rally
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Re: hydralic hand brake

Post by bmxkelowna »

little bit more work on a subaru then say a 240. since legacy's have abs there are two lines going from the front going to the back brakes so you would have to T them together just before the hydro then T them back into two lines to the wheels again. you would also lose abs
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just a comment regarding that modification....if you do that, you will lose the redundent brake circuits that the factory system provides. On the stock setup, you can lose brakes on one wheel, LF for example, and still have brakes on the RF & LR. I wouldn't recommend this mod on a street car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

yea i probly wont i was just looking at parts and came across it
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

josh is right, a proper hydro set up uses a second caliper on both sides of the rear so that if it fails the rest of the brakes still work
fasterthanyou
In Neutral

Post by fasterthanyou »

hmmm, i am looking into building my own setup with an extra clutch master cylinder. i was thinking about just running 2 lines off of the clutch cylinder and tying them in right before the brakes. i dont know if i would need separate calipers, or a one way valve??? on the existing lines, something like that.

Input??
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You would need separate clalipers to do what you're doing. One way valves would not allow the brakes to release fully, and just wouldn't work.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

fasterthanyou
In Neutral

Post by fasterthanyou »

or if you delete the abs, you could probably tie your hydraulic e brake line into the rear brake line right off the brake master cylinder, make sense?. you would have to split it into left and right, though, probably where the ABS used to be.

whadayou think?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That wouldn't really work. On the ABS cars, you've got two lines coming from the MC, a primary & secondary circuit. They go into the ABS unit and then are split into the diagonal primary & secondary lines coming out. Whatever you did with the ABS would be kind of messy and likely would not result in the redundant brake setup.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

fasterthanyou
In Neutral

Post by fasterthanyou »

hmmm, it seems that the second calipers may make the most sense and be easier. how do people delete their ABS then? because that may also be an option that i want to look into
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The easiest way is to simply remove the ABS fuse from the fuse box. This will keep the ABS pump from engaging. The other option would be to get a non-abs master cylinder brake lines, and proportioning valve. It's easier just to take the fuse out and if the ABS light bothers you, unplug the ABS computer.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT