Terrible grinding noise from passenger rear.

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

antslegggy
First Gear

Terrible grinding noise from passenger rear.

Post by antslegggy »

Hey guys , so I searched the forum for awhile and I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. But when I went out to my car this morning started it , let her war up. Aaaand when I put it in gear, let off the breaks and the un goddly groan that took place from my passenger side rear brake. :shock: ya I believe that the best way to describe this over the Internet would be " eeerrrrrreeeeerrrrrrrrrreeeeeerrrreeerrrrrrrr" almost like the pad is stuck against the rotar. I didn't have enough time to take apart the brakes apart today. Hopefully I can get to all my tools, ( they are at my fathers house I didn't have room in my apartment ) tomorrow . You guys have any ideas on what it might be?
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Re: Terrible grinding noise from passenger rear.

Post by kleinkid »

My guess is parking brake pads were stuck, then broke loose. That will happen if you wash the car and those parts are wet, then park it with the hand brake set.
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

Well I drove to work this morning, the car creaked and groaned as I was leaving my apartment complex, once I got up to speed it didn't seem to be making the noise even stopping at lights. Then when I got to work and backed into my parking spot the wretched noise came back? Confused
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Brake noise typically comes from the brake pads vibrating in the caliper. You should make sure the brake clip shims that attach to the caliper are still there, and you can try and use to disc brake quieter material on the back of the brake pads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

Ok so at lunch I took the tire pressure of all the tires, the rears were terrible :/ partly my fault for not checking them more often , any way the wheel that had been making the terrible noise was at 15 psi. The other at 20. So I ran to the gas station and put everybody back up to 44psi where they should be. The noise wasn't there until I backed into my spot. Not sure why it only makes the noise when im in reverse ...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That pressure is a little high. Depending on the size tire, you should be around 36-32 in the front and 30-33 in the rear. The pressure on the tire is the MAX pressure it can handle and is really too much for daily driving.

It makes the noise in reverse because the pads have worn in a certain direction. When you go the opposite direction and the pads are not "snug" fitting in the caliper bracket they will vibrate, which is essentially what noise is.

You can buy little packets of caliper grease and disc brake quieter at the autoparts store. Put the grease on the part of the caliper where the pad slides, and put the quieter on the back of the brake pad where it touches the caliper or piston.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm