subaru 4pot/2pot brake upgrade

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

martimus919
First Gear

Re: subaru 4pot/2pot brake upgrade

Post by martimus919 »

I made brackets that don't need any modifying to run 2 pods. Getting ready to sell them soon hopefully, just sourcing some bushings then should be good to sell.

07 Outback XT VF52
94 Legacy Sport, VF23, 550 RobTune, various other things
93 Legacy Touring Wagon EJ205 management and dash swap (in progress)
90 Loyale Turbo, EJ Turbo Swap, 2" lift
82 Brat, EJ22 swap, RX AWD trans w/ LSD rear, 5 lug 4 wheel disc.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Looks good martimus! I went with 02 wrx brakes for my legacy cause i didn't have wheels that would clear 4/2. I'm trying to figure out the fitment because i'm working with an 04 forester right now as well though.

If I'm not mistaken all that needs to be swapped on the rear is the backing plate, at least that's it on the second gen legacy, for the 2 pots to bolt on.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

86bratman wrote: If I'm not mistaken all that needs to be swapped on the rear is the backing plate, at least that's it on the second gen legacy, for the 2 pots to bolt on.
That would be really handy if that were the case bratman. I'll see what else I can find out about the backing plate! Thanks for the info!
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
martimus919
First Gear

Post by martimus919 »

I'm currently running 02 WRX wheels, the rear clear great while the front need a 5mm spacer to clear.

I've heard the the same about the backing plates, I just don't care to go through that much work to put these brakes on yet. I'm going to try it when I put my Brembos on so I can run the larger shoes.
07 Outback XT VF52
94 Legacy Sport, VF23, 550 RobTune, various other things
93 Legacy Touring Wagon EJ205 management and dash swap (in progress)
90 Loyale Turbo, EJ Turbo Swap, 2" lift
82 Brat, EJ22 swap, RX AWD trans w/ LSD rear, 5 lug 4 wheel disc.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As long as you bend back or cut off the dust shield on the rears they'll fit fine with the bracket.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

originalcyn wrote: If I'm not mistaken all that needs to be swapped on the rear is the backing plate, at least that's it on the second gen legacy, for the 2 pots to bolt on.
True, but swapping the backing plate means taking all the parking brake stuff apart and pulling out the hub. And when you pull out the hub you might as well change the bearings and things add up. Brackets let you just bolt them on.

Going to the H6 rear brakes gets you about 80% of the way there. You don't get a vented rotor and you don't get a fixed caliper but you do get a benefit in brake torque and bias. Personally I would rather just do the front 4-pots and save a few hundred bucks.