Time to get some new tires for the WRX rims. Suggestions?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SWRT
Third Gear

Re: Time to get some new tires for the WRX rims. Suggestions

Post by SWRT »

I had emailed him yesterday morning, but haven't gotten anything
back yet. The assurance tires are a little out of my price range since
it'd cost about $500 to throw them on, even with the rebate. I guess
I'll keep looking for now and see if Luke emails me back.
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

+1 for the Continental DWS. Not the sportiest tire, but the rain/snow traction is amazing. I've had mine on for 1 year and have been pleased with the tread-life.

Update: second winter season with the conti's on and I am thoroughly impressed. 15+ trips to the mountain with close to 25k miles on these bad boys and my friends still ask if they are snow tires or all-seasons. Never got stuck once in the snow, and had no issue motoring at 40+ in sketchy conditions. Tread is at 8-9/32nds all around. Noise is up there, and they lack dry handling performance, but for a cheap all purpose beater I don't think you can look anywhere else.
Last edited by conrAWD on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
83 GL Wagon "Mountain Goat" - Sold
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

This has been a very good thread so far. Think we need to try and keep it going.
Kumho Ecsta AST
My very first "performance tire" I put them on my 90 FWD LS with 05 GTs and loved them. Drove them to Seattle from GA and back with no problems. Also took these same tires up to Snoqualmie with not to much of a problem, just had to pay attention. Actually quite impressive it made it that far in the snow. It wasn't to bad of snow going up but still impressive. Still have them after 4 years though they have been driven on in about maybe 2 years total. Had lots of fun with the tires, good grip in the dry and never had much of problem in the rain. Could break traction of course if you wanted to in the front.

I am currently putting the SS back together and starting to look at tires. Orginally came across a thread started by Kimo Which of these tires is best for performance and rain?. I now currently live in Mobile, AL so all season is not necessary but traction in the wet is very important concidering this is the wettest city in the US. I will not skimp on tires for this car. Tires are expensive regardless so I'll spend the extra for quality. I keep hearing about the General Exclaim UHP so I mya give those a chance if they are still in production. The Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread sound like a good bet too.

Also it seems to be hard to find 215/45/16 so I might have to go with 205/45/16 these will be ran on snowflakes.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost