ABS Fault Code 16

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chrisshara
First Gear

Re: ABS Fault Code 16

Post by chrisshara »

I did end up ohming out all my wheel speed sensor and they are all within spec. I am oficially giving up on this issue.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

I am giving up on this issue for the following reasons. A used ABS computer didn't resolve my issue. A used G-sensor didn't resolve my issue. A new G-sesnor can't be had because it is no longer available. A new ABS computer is $1000 and by now is probably no longer available. And I'm not willing to replace all (4) wheel speed sensors and hope for the best. And based on my test results, I honestly don't know where to go from here.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I fought with mine for years and finally fixed it when I replaced both of my rusted in speed sensors with second gen speed sensors. Both my 90 and 92 have abs and was able to swap parts back and forth until I found the issue. I don't know why the computer points to the G-sensor.

Also used second gen speed sensors are plastic and don't rust in as easy so getting them off at a junk yard is not as hard, and should be only 10-15$ each.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Chris,

Did you check the resistance of the ABS wiring from the various sensors to the ABS ECU? The sensors and ECU could be fine, but if the wiring is bad that will cause your issues.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

It could. But I don't even have a wheel speed sensor fault at all. Fault code 16 has to do with the G-sensor and the G-sensor circuit. Anyway, I sold the car to kid in dire need. I will most likely buy the car back from him when he saves some money for something a little nicer (in terms of a family car). If and when I get the car back, I will check resistances at the ABS computer.

Charles,

So the second gen speed sensors will work with first gen. Interesting! Any modification needed ? Were you able to ohm out your wheel speed sensors and find restance out of spec ? Or did you just replace them ? My wheel speed sensors have resistance readings that are within spec.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

The plug that goes in to car harness is almost the same, the ears to line the plug up are on the wrong side. I was going to put my old ends on it but it was easier to file the ears off and it plugged right in.

I replaced one because the wire was broke off and just dangling, but the other side I had a feeling it was bad but the only code it ever had was 16. I swapped the g-sensor from my wife's car but still had the code. I also swapped the abs computer and still code 16.

I didn't ohm it out but I knew it was damaged from me removing it to replace the wheel bearing. It physically looked ok but from the built up rust in side the bore where it fits in had dented the metal casing.

Since changing my front two sensors I've never had the code come back. I'd bet if I ohm it out it was bad, but never had a code for a bad wheel sensor.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Charles,

I see what you are getting at. Even though I don't have ABS sensor codes, you have been in a situation where replacing ABS sensors 'does' resolve code 16. Not to say this will prove true for all cases. But when rust is involved, all bets are off. When the diagnostic flow charts were created, they weren't taking into consideration rust or other elements. If I am able to buy my car back from my friend down the road, since you have found success with resolving fault code 16 by replacing ABS sensors, I'd feel more optimistic in throwing wheel speed sensors at my car. Anytime I have ever encounted an ABS light on an older vehicle, it has ALWAYS been the ABS sensors that malfunction. But I have never been in a situation where an ABS control unit stores a completely misleading code, either.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S