Who's running 18" on their car ?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chrisshara
First Gear

Re: Who's running 18" on their car ?

Post by chrisshara »

Thanks James, I'll do that. I have not bought springs or struts yet and its either going to be '94 Legacy BC Racing coilovers or some form of WRX springs and struts.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

you need to remember that sidewall size is subjective to the width of the tire. a 35 sidewall on a 225 will be alot smaller then a 35 sidewall on a 275. so that while some cars come with 30 series tires, the width might be wider and in turn the sidewall isnt as small as it would be on a narrow tire. the sidewall number is the% of the width. so a 205-50 will have the same sidewall height as say a 235-40. im just not a fan of a tire that looks like a rubber band. more sidewall equals more grip and forgiveness over bumps and potholes to prevent wheel damage. its all subject to opinion though. i have a lexus gs300 that i run 18's on and i think they fit the car very well, ive seen the same model car with 20's and even with the correct size tire to maintain the original overall diameter they just look too "big" IMO.
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

chrisshara wrote:Thanks James, I'll do that. I have not bought springs or struts yet and its either going to be '94 Legacy BC Racing coilovers or some form of WRX springs and struts.
If you go for coilovers, it will help with wheel clearance significantly. In fact it may be a requirement, as people have rubbing issues on much smaller wheels/tires on struts.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Thanks James. I'll go the coilover route then.

Yes, mike I appreciate the reminder. I'm aware of how tire sizing works.

Maybe I need to clear some things up. In my title heading I said "Who's running 18's ?" and then in my first post I asked if anyone was running 18" x 8" ~or~ 8.5" Well, I can answer that question myself. People ARE running that size. Because I'm confident that it will fit. What I'm not sure of is if any of those people who are running this size on a first generation legacy are members on this forum. I'll make some edits to my first post. I'm sorry if I failed to include some information in my first post. It was kinda just thrown out there to start a general conversation. I didn't want to make my first post overwhelming. My girlfriend tells me all the time that my emails are too long and that no one has the time or desire to read all of that. And my emails are shorter than my first post. So, pardon me if I left any information out.

The entire purpose of this topic was for some to come forward and say, "Yeah I roll with 18's. Now what ?" and I'd ask, "Can you please post pics ?" That's the long and the short of it. But I do appreciate to the small tid bits of info. I'm not sure what wheels are out there, and still available that look good on a our cars, as they are nearing on 20 years old. So, I'm trying to gain a visual for myself and others. Although I may be alone on this one. And I'm quite ok with that.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
05-BROCKY-05
In Neutral

Post by 05-BROCKY-05 »

Im running 18x7 on my sedan. But this wagon Image is running front; 5zigen Pro racer GN+ 18x 7.5 +48

Rear; 5zigen Pro racer GN+ 18x 8.5 +48

tyres: Nankang NS2 215 / 35 R18 all round (stretched on rear)

Another aussie car running 18's, unsure of width though.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good looking cars!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Yes, they are good looking. And personally, I don't think the 18's look too big or awkward. I do think the profile of the tire is quite thin. I would not be incline to run 18" wheels year round in a four season climate where roads become littered with potholes. But for those who live in areas with well maintained roads, or areas that just are not prone to potholes, and for those who have 16" or 17" wheels as their winter wheels, 18" wheels should be fine. IMO

@ 05 BROCKY: Lets see pics of your sedan.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
05-BROCKY-05
In Neutral

Post by 05-BROCKY-05 »

This used to, and will soon be my daily again, im looking at new wheels currently and will be going 18's again, possibly x8.5. Hopefully no issues since i have lipped and pulled my arches a bit and run tein super streets. May need some more arch work though. I completely agree they are not too big.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

Sharp looking car. Are those OEM wheels from something ? Those wheels look familiar. Nissan ?
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
05-BROCKY-05
In Neutral

Post by 05-BROCKY-05 »

They are from 06 WRX CS9 (Club Spec Evo 9)
I purchased them in Gold, but i have never seen them in gold otherwise. I've even had these repaired and re painted, but they were not previously silver.
DuckyAus
In Neutral

Post by DuckyAus »

Bit late, but im running 18x8 on my wagon with +45 offset, but I use 5mm spacers all round brings them to +40
and the car is low. have about 4 mm of clearance between tyres and guard.. dont get much scrub at all, a tad when cornering hard.

My fronts have a hard roll and slight pump
Rears are shaved and pulled to a flare

On coilovers