Loose Caliper

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Loose Caliper

Post by 92ColoradoTurbo »

After using the search engine, sounds like most people have problems with their caliper pistons sticking. I have the opposite problem, my front driver caliper, after I tighten all the bolts down, moves in and out along the guide pin which makes my rotor all wobbley and it makes terrible screeching and grinding sounds as I turn right. We thought it might be my wheel bearing going out but once I take the caliper and rotor off and shake the hub, its sturdy as can be just like my passenger side.

Could it be that my brake needs to be bled so the pistons are tighter on the pads? Cause it stops normal, doesn't pull to either side when I brake.

Also, when I'm driving, sometimes the steering wheel will shake until I start to brake, then the shaking subsides until I stop applying the brakes. When I corner right (weight is on front left wheel) and accelerate through the turn, the wheel will screech the whole way till I straighten out or turn left. But it won't screech if I'm off the gas and letting momentum propel me through the turn. Also, if I'm gassing it through the turn, if I give it enough gas it will feel like I'm on ice and start sliding outwards like I'm under steering but the tires don't skid.
I know the best thing to do is replace all of it but funds haven't been on my side this winter so I'd like to only replace one part if I can lol the spare hub already cost me $80 and the parts store sells a reman'd dual piston caliper for $90 :/
A
Any ideas on what's up with my car would be great!
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Loose Caliper

Post by James614 »

We have sliding calipers, they're supposed to move freely on the guide pins. What you're describing with the tire screeching and wondering sounds more like a shot tie rod or some other suspension component (probably several). Did you lift the car and shake the entire wheel? From side to side and in and out? You need the leverage of the tire on there when you do it.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

So is the caliper hitting the wheel or is it hitting the rotor itself? Could you take a video showing the movement you're talking about on the caliper?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

I believe it's hitting the rotor cause they are brand new, passenger side looks great but drivers side is super scratched on the outer 2 inches of the disc. Here's a video of me driving around the neighborhood at ~20mph in second gear, each corner I go around, I'm on the accelerator. It usually doesn't do it when I turn left, only right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8f81Yo ... GEKwSCXM3w
I'll go take a pic of the rotor (they're brand new with the new brake pads all with grease in the correct place but still squeaks when i brake -.-)
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Driver

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Chris
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You have the video listed as private and we can't see it. You need to change it to public or just those with the direct link can access it.

From what I can tell in the picture the outer edge of the rotor looks ok. I really don't see anything abnormal in that picture.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Yea it wasnt a very good pic cause i was off to work lol. But I believe its gotten worse can now i feel the tire wobbling when i corner right and the weight is on it, and now its screeching when im driving straight and turning, with and without brakes/accelerating. I can shake the steering wheel and play with the throttle and it seems to straighten itself out for a bit..
Chris
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Chris
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Oh, and as for the wheel in the air and you shake it with hands on the sides, nothing rattles/clicks. Same for putting your hands top/bottom, nothing rattles. The rotor wobbles a lot more on the drivers side than it does on the passenger side too, even with the caliper and pads all put on
Chris
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Chris, take a video of what you showed me how your caliper and rotor have sooo much play on driver side vs passenger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Alright, I got a video of the caliper being super loose on its track or whatever its called. Sorry for the shaky image, being such a little guy, I have to put my weight into moving car parts therefore I kinda shake the camera, but you'll get the idea! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKvWREDZQMI
Chris
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

The rotors will move with nothing holding it to the hub, that's the wheels job. Maybe if you put the lug nuts on you can get a better idea. The sliders on the drivers side do seam worn but I don't think that your problem, it shouldn't sound like that it should only rattle when hitting bumps. My 2 cents thinks its a wheel bearing, but if you checked that and it's tight I'm not sure what else there is.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
scoobydoo94turbo
First Gear

Post by scoobydoo94turbo »

I agree, check the front end properly, with the wheel on grab the wheel at 9 and 3 (clock) and give it a tiny wiggle feeling for any play, clunking etc, any movement could be a wheel bearing or an inner or outer tie rod, these cars are pretty good for lower control arms not to confuse things, I also had my buddy with his 91 have an issue were his rotors were smaller in diameter then the brake pads they sold him, lead to some noise on turns, and some play in the caliper, brake pad wear was funny as contact pattern was way off on the outer edge. there are a few other factors we have not spoke about, im really thinking this is a wheel bearing issue tho, inspect everything one last time and report back..
05 Forester XT 2.5L Turbo DD 250,000km R.I.P
94 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon 412,000km ) R.I.P
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 136,017km (parts car) R.I.P
04 Impreza TS Wagon 230,000km timing idler failed, being rebuilt!
94 Legacy Turbo Sedan 285,000km Mint DD
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L5X_uGL9p8k
Pretty sure you guys are right about the bearing, about to put it back together, I'll let you know how it rides.

Chris
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

That is most definitely a bad bearing, and make sure the torque is correct and the nut is staked those are the two most common things I've seen on these bearing failures.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Check and check. Took it through the neighborhood and it rides like a dream! Thanks guys for the input.

Chris