Power Steering pump seal kit install

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MrTodd
First Gear

Power Steering pump seal kit install

Post by MrTodd »

So a little while ago I decided to replace all of the seals in my power steering pump, seeing as how there is a nice collection of sticky fluid greased all around the pump, onto the block/alternator/etc. Despite the leaks, I've never really had a problem with the pump or steering - no squeaks, smooth turning..

Anyway, if you haven't done this before it's really not all that difficult to get to the P/S pump itself. The first thing I did was drain the fluid from the reservoir tank (used a universal fluid pump), take off the two bolts, and remove it. Next, I removed the pulley. I kind of wedged a socket wrench in there to keep it from moving, while breaking loose the nut on the frontside of the pulley. After that, you can easily remove the 3 bolts holding the pump onto the mounting bracket - this is what you're left with.

As you can see above, I've got a hose connected to the return line. I did this to drain the extra fluid, it's not really necessary. If you want to do it, just spin the pump pulley clockwise by hand and most of the remaining fluid will come out from the lines.

This is that filthy little pump removed from the mounting bracket.

The housing is held on by 4 bolts. Before getting into it, I cleaned it up a bit. The pump itself is relatively simple, but there are some small bits you want to keep exceptionally clean.

Now, notice that the pump shaft is still installed in the housing. This is pressed in via the bearing on the front of the housing. It can be removed simply by using a small amount of heat. I used a cheap propane torch you can buy at WalMart for like 5 bucks. Apply a SMALL amount of heat around the exterior of the housing, around the front where the bearing is. It shouldn't take any more than a minute of heat - afterwords, use a hammer and gently tap out the shaft from the front/bearing side. Here it is, removed. Note that the bearing is still pressed onto the shaft - I wanted to keep it there. The second picture shows the shaft oil seal removed along with everything mostly cleaned up.

I got my pump seal kit from rockauto.com, and it comes with everything you need - EXCEPT for 1 o-ring that is the wrong size. Seems to be the same with wherever you get the seal kit. *shrug* Anyway, installation is reverse of removal. Simply press in the shaft oil seal with your hands, you may need a large socket to help get it in all the way. Next up, don't forget to put a small amount of grease along the inner lip of the seal. This is what I used.

To get the shaft back in, do what you did to remove it. Heat up the outside of the housing around where the bearing presses in, when it's nice and warm GENTLY tap in the shaft with your hammer. It really doesn't need much. If it's not moving with gentle hammering, you may need to warm it up again.

Everything is stacked in the opposite way you took it out. In with the new seals!

(make sure these dowel holes/divots are lined up, or else you won't be able to fit it together, also the metal tabs/fins should be pushed in all the way)

And here it is, back on the mounting bracket, almost ready to flush/replace the fluid.

Now, since the kit comes with the wrong sized O-ring, I bought one of these from Autozone. It's got one that fits (roughly) the seal around the reservoir tank.

Now, I decided to keep the return line connected to my hose + drain bucket. I wanted to flush the system with new fluid. It was very tedious to install the reservoir tank while having the return hose plugged into this tube, but it's doable if you loosen the fuel rail on the passenger side bank. Also, I used an old fuel hose to plug into the reservoir tank return fitting to prevent the new fluid from escaping each time I refilled the tank.

Next up, reinstall the pulley. Did what I did to remove it, just opposite.

With the belt installed, I'm ready to start cranking the pump with the engine. HOWEVER, I don't want the engine to idle/run, as it will be too fast. In order to keep the pump spinning nice and slowly, I disconnected the fuel injector clips so they wouldn't spray, THEN cranked it. (Make sure the fluid reservoir is constantly full!)

(You can see the ATF fluid running through the line)

I cranked it for a few seconds at a time, a couple times I turned the steering wheel while cranking it. When the fluid coming out was clear (didn't take long) I did it just a couple more times then called it good.

Reinstalled everything back to normal, and started her up.

I made sure the fluid in the tank was full, let it idle for a few minutes, then went to turning the steering wheel slowly back and forth. I did that for a few cycles, turned it off, then re-checked the fluid level. Perfect. I then took it for a test drive and I actually noticed a difference! It turns a little bit smoother now, and it's even quieter than before (it wasn't loud to begin with) - I attribute this to the new ATF fluid. I double checked for leaks while it was running, and it looks bone dry now. Very nice!

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is looking to do the same thing. :)
Last edited by MrTodd on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Power Steering pump seal kit install

Post by kimokalihi »

Great writeup. Does the kit replace those flat metal tabs that got in the slots?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
MrTodd
First Gear

Post by MrTodd »

Thanks for the props!

Nope, the kit just has the gaskets, seal, and o-rings.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

This is a very good write up! I got a factory seal kit and never got around to installing it (PS pump from my swap doesn't leak). But its good to know it doesn't require any special tools or anything.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I'll be doing this for 3 pumps soon. Thanks for the detailed process!
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Does it come with a new bearing too?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
MrTodd
First Gear

Post by MrTodd »

kimokalihi wrote:Does it come with a new bearing too?

Unfortunately the kit that I bought didn't come with the bearing. In fact, I was reading through Josh's posts about rebuilding his P/S pump, and it looks like the bearing is REALLY hard to come by. Someone on this forum even went to the bearing manufacturer to see if they could get it, but it seems it isn't made anymore (IIRC). I don't know if Subaru considers the shaft/bearing assembly serviceable... Lucky for me, my bearing is still in good shape (ie no side to side play, rolled smooth and quiet, etc). In my opinion, if your pump's bearing is toast, I'd probably just head to the nearest junkyard and pull out the shaft/bearing assembly from a donor, instead of buying the entire pump. Just my $0.02.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thats stupid. What good is a kit that doesnt include the bearing. Well i guess it seals but i bet my bearing is bad after 200k miles.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Probably is kimo.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
MrTodd
First Gear

Post by MrTodd »

kimokalihi wrote:Thats stupid. What good is a kit that doesnt include the bearing. Well i guess it seals but i bet my bearing is bad after 200k miles.

I'm right there with ya, I don't know why these kits don't include the bearing! Again, I consider myself very lucky that my bearing was still good. But, who knows how much longer it will last? *shrugs* Let me know if you are able to track down a new replacement bearing, for future reference!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice pictures and write-up.

The o-ring between the reservoir and pump is not included in the factory seal kit. It's purchased separately. The part # along with the kit part #'s can be found in this post.

The kits are "seal" kits, not "rebuild" kits and that is why the bearing is not included. Subaru sells the shaft with bearing already installed (not sure if there are any left though).

This post has a link to the bearing, it's $11.41. And if you have the larger 6203 bearing it's $12.24
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks Josh that's good to know and it's cheap.