Brake pedal and ABS issue

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

karol1001
In Neutral

Brake pedal and ABS issue

Post by karol1001 »

Hi! So I have a new issue with my car. The roads are slippery and a few days ago I had a chance to test out my ABS when stopping on a wet road. Everything was fine - the ABS worked and I drove home happy with myself.

The next day I noticed that my brake pedal is a little more squishy than usual. The brakes work ok but I have to press the pedal a lot deeper than before and there is less feel to it.

I drove like that for a few days thinking that maybe I'm going crazy but the problem is getting worse. When I start the car the pedal is hard like before, but then after a few meters it goes all soft again. Pumping it while driving doesn't do much.

What is more - now my ABS light is on. The LED on the ABS module flashes 8 times so it indicates a faulty sensor in the rear wheel.

My question is this - can a sensor cause the soft pedal issue? I'm not loosing any brake fluid so I don't think there is a leak, but there is DEFINITELY low pressure in the system.

I'd be grateful for some help, because I don't really know what to do now.

Best,
Karol.
karol1001
In Neutral

Re: Brake pedal and ABS issue

Post by karol1001 »

Och, and the car is a 1991 Legacy N/A sedan :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brake pedal and ABS issue

Post by Legacy777 »

The soft pedal could be caused by air or just old fluid in the ABS module that worked itself out once you engaged the ABS. I'm not sure why you're now getting a code for a wheel sensor.

Have you bled the brakes recently? I might suggest that to see if that helps the soft pedal.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm