ABS question

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyLover
In Neutral

ABS question

Post by LegacyLover »

I need some advice about my ABS system.
I haven't been able to find an answer on the internet thus far, and even my mechanically savvy friends are at a loss.

My ABS light is on. Most of the time when I start my car, it is off, but as soon as I go over a bump or hit a pot hole, it will come on. When it does come on, I often hear a faint hissing noise, and then when I go to apply my breaks...it sounds like my car is making a terrible farting noise. The farting noise only happens when the hissing is present. This happens especially on colder mornings, but it has gotten to the point where it might happen anytime. The brake pedal feels a little weird and vibrating when the noises happen, but it feels like it still engages, and it stops fine, it just makes the terrible noise.

I did take it into the Subaru dealership to have it checked out once, about a year ago (because this has been happening for a long time and I kept ignoring it) but of course it didn't make the noise for them, just the ABS light on, and they said that their equipment was not able to communicate with the car to figure out why the ABS light was on and that it would require a significantly further investigation into the cause.

Any thoughts on what might be going on? I really appreciate any input.
Thanks!
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Re: ABS question

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

When I broke my rear ABS sensor it did the same thing, vibrating peddle, light on ext. I found u can look at the flashing light on the abs module itself and it will tell u (kinda) what's wrong. Mine blinked Lt rear sensor, replaced sensor with used ones (3 times) and light still come on, and peddle feels weird at first, and light will come and go as it pleases. So really I'm no help to u, just saying I have kinda the same problem. Lol
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

What year and model Legacy do you have?

If it's a 90-94 take a look at this scan.

https://main.experiencetherave.com/suba ... bsdiag.jpg

The ABS computer is under the front passenger seat and there is a little flap in the carpet to lift up so you can see the flashing light.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Josh, is there a way to "reset" the module after you've replaced what it was blinking what was wrong?
Mine has blinked saying Lt rear wheel sensor, I've replaced it 3 times now with junk yard ones (which is possible I guess to get 3 bad ones in a row, but not probable) I have access to the FSM and I've never found anything about a reset, just drive and it will take care of its self.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack someone else's post......
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

It reset it self every time you turn the car off. Are you using first gen sensors or second gen sensors? Are the used ones that you replaced where they rusted in? I found that the rust will crush the sensor and short it out internally, that's why I've been using second gen sensors because they are plastic and work just fine.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

All of them have been the plastic second gen ones.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

You probably have a wiring issue instead, the ABS ECU is reset and self checks on every key cycle.
LegacyLover
In Neutral

Post by LegacyLover »

Thank you guys! I appreciate the advice! I finally have a chance today to check out the ABS computer, and I hope that gives that answers I need.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Keep us posted what you find out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I have the same issue. My abs light turns on sometimes, usually during a left hand turn, hitting regular bumps in the road. I'll have to check it out now based on the info given here. I'll keep an eye on this post.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog