GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Post Reply
JimBos Legacy
First Gear
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am

GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by JimBos Legacy »

Any body know if this is swappable? I have a power steering leak and I’m having to drop the steering rack anyways to fix the seals, so I though I might as well upgrade it if I can. I was looking into the 13:1 ratio steering rack the the GC8 since I can’t find any steering racks for my car. Appreciate the help!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 27609
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:37 am
Location: Houston, Tx
Contact:

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm sure it can be made to work, but I'm not sure if it's a direct bolt in or not.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm

JimBos Legacy
First Gear
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by JimBos Legacy »

Legacy777 wrote:I'm sure it can be made to work, but I'm not sure if it's a direct bolt in or not.
Damn, I was hoping someone had done it before. If you ever come across a rhd rack let me know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon

mike-tracy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4972
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Des Moines, Wa

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by mike-tracy »

The LHD GC8 rack swaps onto BC's (you reuse the BC's ball joint arms), so it seems likely the RHD ones would work.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am
Wait....I'm confused now.

JimBos Legacy
First Gear
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:The LHD GC8 rack swaps onto BC's (you reuse the BC's ball joint arms), so it seems likely the RHD ones would work.
Might just go for it and see if it works


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon

mike-tracy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4972
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Des Moines, Wa

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by mike-tracy »

Lhd to lhd works is what I meant. So rhd to rhd should also work
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am
Wait....I'm confused now.

mike-tracy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4972
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Des Moines, Wa

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by mike-tracy »

Did you try this yet?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am
Wait....I'm confused now.

JimBos Legacy
First Gear
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:58 am
Did you try this yet?
Nope I have not, still trying to find the rack again, really want to get this in because I’m tired of no power steering :/
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon

JimBos Legacy
First Gear
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by JimBos Legacy »

Well I ended up buying a 1993-2001 GC8 steering rack (34110-FE140) and the splines were different than my car. I cant return the rack so im kind of stuck at the moment.
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon

mike-tracy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4972
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Des Moines, Wa

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by mike-tracy »

You'll need to have a welder uh weld your legacy knuckle to a GC knuckle. This is SOP when swapping racks, unfortunately. I had one made when I put a GD STI rack in my GC. I believe I paid $40, plus the cost of the second knuckle.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am
Wait....I'm confused now.

JimBos Legacy
First Gear
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:You'll need to have a welder uh weld your legacy knuckle to a GC knuckle. This is SOP when swapping racks, unfortunately. I had one made when I put a GD STI rack in my GC. I believe I paid $40, plus the cost of the second knuckle.
Do you know of anywhere I could buy a Legacy knuckle that is a sure fit? I don’t want to take any chances. Thanks for the info though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon

mike-tracy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4972
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Des Moines, Wa

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by mike-tracy »

I'd reuse the one that came on your car, just to be sure. I have a feeling that a normal LHD 1st gen legacy one would be the same, but I've never tried that. If your JDM gc8 rack didn't come with one, I would try a junkyard GC/GM/GF lhd knuckle, but once again, I don't know if theres a difference between LHD and RHD ones.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am
Wait....I'm confused now.

mike-tracy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4972
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Des Moines, Wa

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by mike-tracy »

Lastly, the length of the Legacy knuckle may differ from the GC one, so the welder will need to ensure the developed length of the end result is correct.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am
Wait....I'm confused now.

JimBos Legacy
First Gear
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am

Re: GC8 Quick Turn Steering Rack in a JDM BF5

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:I'd reuse the one that came on your car, just to be sure. I have a feeling that a normal LHD 1st gen legacy one would be the same, but I've never tried that. If your JDM gc8 rack didn't come with one, I would try a junkyard GC/GM/GF lhd knuckle, but once again, I don't know if theres a difference between LHD and RHD ones.
Sadly around where I am there are no junkyards that would have any old GCs. I’ll probably try to find a cheap one online


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon

Post Reply