Need a favor from all you NON-ABS equipped legacy owners

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need a favor from all you NON-ABS equipped legacy owners

Post by Legacy777 »

I would like to know what model year your car is(manufacture date if you can get it, it's on the plate at the bottom of the driver's door sill), trim level, AWD/FWD, and what size the master cylinder is.

It will have a number on it in the same place as this one.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... p_1808.jpg

Thanks guys
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
paf
First Gear

Post by paf »

still looking for that master cylinder?
is yours broken?
why not put in a 1inch?
1990 FWD Legacy Wagon Base
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Josh, mine is a 1991 manufactured in July of 1990, it's a 4WD, and the master cylinder is 1" bore, it says "1" where your pic designates...

I have a 1990 Legacy brochure, the closest I could get, and it even says in there that a 1" bore master cylinder is standard...

Your factory one is most likely a 1" bore...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

My 1992-1993 factory service manual claims all non-ABS models got 1" master cylinders (ABS models got 1 1/16"). My car (with ABS) has a 1/16".

Do you need a new master cylinder, or are you considering changing yours?

I got a single stage brake booster and the matching 15/16" master cylinder but I'm kind of wary about replacing my 1/16" cylinder with such a small one. I don't want to end up with excessive pedal travel. I don't know if my stock cylinder will fit the single stage booster.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The reason I want the larger bore MC is because of the increased pedal travel after swapping WRX front calipers on & turbo legacy rear calipers/rotors.

This thread will give you all the info you need to know about what sizes changed and by how much http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... did=256730

I would highly recommend you not put on the 15/16" MC. The info in that thread for the caliper piston diameter for the turbo legacy is incorrect. It's actually the same size as the turbo legacy.

Your MC is the older style MC, and should work fine with the single diaphragm booster.

I don't trust the manuals or the parts catalogue. I have a friend that has a 92 legacy L wagon. He has non-abs & the 1 1/16" MC. However the info from the dealer and everything else says the MC is the same for all the legacies. So I'm not sure if he got an oddity.....

The SVX also has the 1 1/16" MC. Buddy in memphis has a FWD 94 with non-abs and it has the 1 1/16" MC. So I may have to try and cross-reference the svx ones against the legacy ones.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Huh. That's so weird.

I did notice that most parts catalogs list a number for the master cylinder but also say to order by specific application or by VIN. I do know of at least 3 part numbers that are claimed to be Legacy master cylinders: 26401AA40x, 26401AA41x, and 26401AC04x. The master cylinders themselves don't appear to actually have any part numbers on them; just "NABCO" (the manufacturer) and the bore diameter in inches.

That's good news that my stock cylinder should work with the single stage booster. I think I'll go ahead with that swap then.

So your car came with a 1" master cylinder and you're looking for a 1 1/16" replacement?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

vrg3 wrote: So your car came with a 1" master cylinder and you're looking for a 1 1/16" replacement?
You are correct sir. It needs to be from a non-abs vehicle.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The reason it needs to come from a non-ABS vehicle is that you need four lines coming off it instead of two, right?

I thought all Subaru master cylinders had four lines coming off, but ABS cars had two of them plugged.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yah I need four lines since I don't have abs.

The abs equipped cars have MC's that have blanks there to put the other two lines. They are just not drilled, tapped and have the compression fitting. I don't feel like doing that or having it done......
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT