dropdfocus' 1992 Legacy SS (Part II)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Worth the $1,000 I'm paying for it?

Hell yeah!!!!
70%
I guess...
26%
Dude, you got ripped off!
4%

Total votes: 27

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

dropdfocus' 1992 Legacy SS (Part II)

Post by dropdfocus »

Well, it finally arrived at my house last night!!!! It's been several months in the making, but she's finally out of storage and at my house now...
Of course my neighbor Matt (legacy92ej22t) stopped by to check it out and was pretty stoked too.

Mods list that I'm aware of consists of:
- rear LSD from a '91 Legacy turbo
- '98 2.5 DOHC heads
- T04E (T3/T4) turbo
- HKS style BOV
- Spearco FMIC
- Apex'i style muffler (would prefer stock STi instead)
- Sprint lowering springs
- '99 Legacy GT stock seats
- 2 1/16" digital gauges for oil pressure, boost/vacuum, & air/fuel ratio
- and likely a few other things I'm not aware of just yet.

The story on the car is it belonged to a very good friend of mine who purchased it cheap as a project vehicle but ran out of money & time before he was shipped off to Army boot camp and then to Korea to be an MP. So I am in the process of purchasing it and finishing it up to show off to him when he gets back to the states in the spring of '08.

Link to album on Photobucket

Ok, I promised photos & here they are:
- Me getting photo artsy laying on the ground...

- The beginning of quick sleeper

- Yeah, it's dirty as hell from sitting in a beat down garage for many months

- Yep, still really freakin' dirty...

- Tons of room for a custom stealth stereo system!

- Seats have been updated (still want WRX seats though) & the dash and steering wheel are next
Last edited by dropdfocus on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Yep, definitely a lot of potential! I can't wait to help put the wrenches to it! :D

When all's said and done, it's going to be a beast! :twisted:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Oh, one thing to keep in mind Jason is that it's the 2.5 SOHC heads that are so sought after, not the DOHC.

I said something last night about it too but I'd throw EJ20G DOHC heads on it. Unless you can find the 2.5 RS SOHC heads that is, those things flow like crazy.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yeah, I'll take either Phase II heads or EJ30G heads. Doesn't matter to me. I just don't want to cut corners and have to redo something. I at least want to get a few passes down the track before snow flies this year. That's my only real goal.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Here she is after a well deserved bath today (during a 96* heat wave, cold water felt really good!). I couldn't leave it suffer looking like a dirty pig in the yard while it waited to be worked on. Gotta show some heart right? :cool:

Jason
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

thoes lights look pretty clean, got any closer pics of it? Would you think about trading them for some EDM ones?
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

My buddy began sanding the car down because he was going to shoot it in colored primer, and adversely scratched up the tops of the tail lights and the center section too. So they are 10' pretty, not 10" pretty.... Sorry.
Jason
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

same as my edms :P

tiny little cracks from me pushing on them in the install :P
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Wetsand the tails with 1500-200 sandpaper, then polish with Mothers metal polish with a buff ball. That should take out the scratches (as long as they are not tooo deep) & it also de-yellows headlights.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Hey thanks for the tip. I will try that on the lights this weekend.
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Well, it's official... The wife is extremely happy my focus has been swayed away from her GT and to the SS now. She grew tired of me tinkering with the daily driver all the time (Scotty, we need more power!).

So now it's all out custom stereo install time, and getting the T3/T4 situated so that everything will line up better. The A/C compressor was removed (weight reduction, just kidding!) since it was already unhooked at the firewall by my buddy when trying to install the upgraded turbo. I need to remove the aluminum core from the behind the radiator too. So if anyone needs A/C parts, take 'em...
Jason
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I stopped by yesterday to to look her over and I called too. Your phone was off and you didn't answer your door. You must have still been asleep.........at 10:30 am! :p
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yeah, late night over at Chris & Andrea McElroy's place. I was likely up, but in the shower at that point, so I didn't hear ya... My bad. :sad:
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Hmmm... Got a vote for "Dude, you got ripped off!" Sorry that person felt that way. Oh well.
Jason
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I voted in the middle, the value is in the engine for me....
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Ok, thanks much for voting either way. I put the ripped off one there for opinion, but didn't think anyone would actually vote that way... Freedom of speech I guess.

She'll be changed to 5sp (currently 4sp due to no 2nd gear) soon thanks in great part to Matt (legacy92ej22t) for donating his old stock SS tranny to me. Sometimes it pays off when a wife makes someone clean out all the stuff laying around the house (not always though). :twisted:
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Well, Matt & I debated over many different ideas with the car and it's current set up. After much thought between him & I, I've decided that I will end up parting with the T3/T4 turbo and going TD04 or 16g ( <--prefer that one if at all possible).

This will allow for a much easier time of mating up exhaust components and plumbing out to the FMIC. All & all, I'm looking for reliability over high HP at this point. Once I know the wife's car has a solid EJ25 motor again, then maybe I'll tinker around with it some more...
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Ok, sent off the other car to a friend who needed to use it for a parts car and picked up this one to replace it ($950):

Much cleaner & in WAY better shape. Should have her on the road in the next few weeks or so. I'm so damn excited!!!!!!

I'll also be adding '06 WRX TR Edition front & rear seats very soon too!
Jason
SubOnno
First Gear

Post by SubOnno »

Hey nice one !! :D
Subaru Legacy MY94 2.0 AWD
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Thanks. I definitely like it. 8)
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Here's my grocery list of parts for the car:

Performance & Cosmetic
Deadbolt TD005H-Super 16g turbo
Spearco front mount intercooler
Subaru Impreza WRX by-pass valve
Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 DOHC Phase 1 heads
Subaru Impreza JDM EJ20G DOHC intake manifold
Subaru STi 550cc injectors
Custom mandrel bent 3" catless exhaust
Invidia catless up-pipe
Invidia catless bellmouth down-pipe
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
TurboXS DTEC stand alone fuel controller
TurboXS fuel cut defender
TurboXS manual boost controller
Subaru STi springs
Cusco lower front H-brace
Cusco rear strut tower bar

Stereo/Interior
Custom install coming soon!
Products by: Boston Acoustics, Tsunami, Raptor, Rockford Fosgate, Eclipse, & Optima
Subaru rubber all weather floor mats
'06 WRX TR Edition front & rear seats

Future mods
'00-'01 Impreza RS 6-spoke wheels powder coated bronze
Impreza WRX 5sp transmission conversion
STi front & rear brake calipers and rotors
Larger front & rear sway bars
Perfect Power 6 stand alone engine management in place of the TurboXS Dtec
Jason
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Very nice my friend, very nice. Can't wait to dig into it! :twisted:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

This weekend Matt it happens!!!!!!!

I will need your expertise for sure bro.
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Oh and BTW, I only paid $950 for the replacement car... :shock: :twisted: 8)

The interior is being gutted out this weekend to prepare for laying out the 1/0 AWG power wire (battery relocation) and the high-end Rockford Fosgate RCA's from the high-end Eclipse copper chassis CD player (8v. balanced/50 ohm resistance RCA signal output - for those car audio junkies like me, who understand those specs) which does not have any internal amplifier. Then signal will be sent to mid '90s Rockford Fosgate amps (Power 500m & Punch 200dsm) which were heavily under rated by the factory and were considered "cheater" amps by many who competed in car audio competitions. I also have two rare items for those amps which I've been holding on to for about 6-7 years, the Punch Status Display & the Punch amplifier body links. The status display shows your RCA signal input level and if it gets near a signal clipping level, and also if the amplifier goes into thermal protection mode. These are almost non-existant any more. The amp links allow you to have two amps look like one HUGE amp. Sound will come from Boston Acoustic Pro Series Pro6.5 component speakers (front & rear) and one 10" Pro Series Pro10.5 subwoofer.

I will be taking pictures as I go to document the work and my ability to be very picky about how things look which you'll never see... :mrgreen:
Jason