Added another to the collection. (updates,SIDESWIPED!)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Nope!

That was what was actually drained out of the old fuel filter from the engine bay.

Nasty indeed. After seeing that I wished I had tested the fuel pressure before changing the filter.. Just to see how much was lost in it, if any.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Coming soon

My biggest experiment yet.

Image[/u]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

sweet...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Um, why?? For fun factor or are you intending it for handling?
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

This is so sick! I can't wait to hear and see some final results!!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

dropdfocus wrote:Um, why?? For fun factor or are you intending it for handling?
Well, I've always admired the system and was sorely dissappointed that it was discontinued before I could afford one for my '02 WRX. Actually I still couldn't afford a new one, but I got a screaming deal on this used one.

I've read all the "bad" reviews, and the good ones. Most of the negativity seems to regurgitate the comments in the old SCC article. But, once you really get into the research, you realize that everyone who actually bought it for it's intended purpose has given it a huge thumbs up. It's intended purpose being a very well rounded DAILY DRIVER, that can still be used for weekend fun. It's not a competion suspension. I don't want a competition suspension. But I do like having fun.

It's a challange. Look back to my PowerFC install on a stock wasted spark Legacy SS.

I do carry stuff in the trunk, and the self leveling would be sweet.

It would certainly be unique. I also see a hint of Subaru legacy (the past, not the car) in having a really good air suspension. While no means pioneers in the area, Subaru did stick with it longer and more often than most other makes. (Early and late 80's wagons, the XT, and the Legacy all had them as options, possibly others too)

And possibly most importantly, It was a screaming deal.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

The reason I ask is because I had a Air Lift Tech. bag kit on my '01 Ford Focus ZX3 a few years ago for the fun of it vs. any type of function. The Ground Control / Koni setup I had prior was great & I should never have gotten rid of it. :(

I'm also avid "mini trucker", so airbags systems are all too familiar to me. I know that Air Ride Tech. has done some great things with airbag kits on old muscle cars and made them handle very well because of it.

Best of luck to ya in your on going project. 8)
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Ah, well if you've never looked into the Praxis, yes, it was designed to be a handling suspension. It's claim to fame was the ability to properly increase springrate as the car dropped, all from a dash mounted switch. The downfall was you had to manually go and adjust the shocks to match the new springrate using a knob on the bottom of the shock.

So, 3 settings. "Touring"- close to stock height and springrates. "Sport"-1 inch drop, extra fun on the street 250ish springrate. "Track"- 2 inch drop, track use only, 350ish springrate.

With proper alignment, it worked well. The sole engineering exception is that Subaru designed the rear suspension to toe-in under compression (drop). This makes the starting alignment very critcal and even at that a noticable comprimise.

I think most of the "bad press" comes from people thinking it could be a true hardcore track suspension AND a stockish daily driver. That's asking for built in dissapointment. I also think that having to leave the car and get on the ground to adjust shock valving turned a lot of people off. I'll bet they had visions of "dropping to race mode and pulling that freeway cloverleaf on-ramp", then going back to cruise mode. You can do that, but without changing the shocks to match (because your already rolling away from the light) your "now low and stiff" springs are woefully underdamped because your shocks are still set at "stock and high". Can you say "bouncy and bottoming-out POS"?

If you can't tell, I'm still talking myself into it, even though "the checks in the mail" :lol:
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

PhyrraM wrote:If you can't tell, I'm still talking myself into it, even though "the checks in the mail" :lol:
LOLZ!!!!!!! Been there done that many times! :mrgreen:
Jason
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

nice write up on the swap! I just put an ej20g in mine. how does yours run off of a stop?
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

91legacyawdturbo wrote:nice write up on the swap! I just put an ej20g in mine. how does yours run off of a stop?
Thanks. For the most it feels like my stock WRX. A little boggy until about 3000 RPM then comes on strong. I don't launch it, not my style, but I do run it to redline (currently 7K) often.

I'm currently fighting an occasional hiccup/misfire that I believe is a weak ignition. It is becoming more common the last 300 miles. But other than that, no issues.
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

nice, I had the same issue I found that I didnt have the vac lines for the fuel pressure regulator right. It was causing a low stumble off of the line (like you would regularly drive). when I first tried to start mine up the coil packs where really weak. I know mine is running alot better no more miss and it doesnt stumble any more.
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I've got a few updates, nothing major but I figure it's easier on me to make small updates rather than larger ones.

I've got the misfires figured out. Spark plugs. When I installed the EJ20G the local parts store didn't have the NGKs I had originally asked for, so I accepted the Autolite cross-reference. They woked fine for a few weeks, but soon the misfires started. Out they came. I ordered what the 'net told me was the OEM EJ20G plug.

The Autolites after removal. They don't look bad, but the NGKs have had zero misfires since they were installed.
The NGKs in the background are OEM 100,000+ miles '02 WRX plugs.

More parts arrived for the built motor. '05 STI 550s. I already have the EJ25D rails needed to drop them into one of my EJ20G intake manifolds.

The last item I recently got in preperation for my built motor is a replacement cell phone. A 16gig iPhone 3G, to be exact. To be even more to the point, I got it to use an app called Dynoliscious. Basically it uses the iPhone's internal accelerometer to estimate acceration data. Kind of like the old G-techs used to do. I'm not looking for 100% accuracy. I'm more looking for repeatablity. It should turn into a valuable tool for tuning.

It outputs charts like these, and can even save them as pics to be exported. The yellow "horsepower" line is simply derived from the acceleration rate and the weight of the car, which is user defined. I put 3300 pounds for now.

The iPhone itself will give you estimated timeslips. It's been tested to be resonably accurate, but very repeatable with a solid, stable cradle in the car.

All the above "runs" were done very impromptu, with very transmission safe launches and shifts. I'm pretty satisfied with the "times", even if they are estimated. Once I get more experience using it, I'm sure it will become a great companion to the wideband, the laptop, and the PFC itself.
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Wow that's cool! LOL I had no idea you could do that. Those are some pretty good numbers too.
-Doug Wilson
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Awesome. I have the same program, but my numbers seemed a bit skewed. I think my phone kept sliding around. Do you have a mount for it?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Did it show any performance difference between the Autolites and the NGKs?
90 L+ wgn
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Personally, Bosch and NGK are some of the best plugs out on the market. NEVER use Champion on anything you care about, and Autolites are ok in a pinch. I've worked in garages & seen the end results of these plugs! Don't go cheap if you can avoid it.
Jason
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I was trying to wait untill I cleaned up the dash to post my cradle, but oh well....You asked. :lol:

I went with Pro-Clip. As far as I can tell they are the only ones to still be making a custom fit cradle mount for the BC/BF. It clips between the vent and the dash trim, but it's very secure and rigid. You can use any cradle on the mount, but I chose a slightly oversized, adjustable one because I'm very rough on phones and am going to need a fairly tough, oversized case. (Like this)

As far as the plugs go, I never noticed a difference in the feel between the Autolites (untill the misfires) and the NGKs. I didn't get the phone untill after the NGKs, sorry. I wasn't too happy about having to buy the Autolites, but the parts store and I have a good relationship and I trust them to make a reccomendation occasionally. This time they were wrong, but that's the exception.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I used to have something exactly like that in my Focus ZX3 years ago. It was real nice for hands free speaker phone.

I'll have to look them up on the Internet.
Jason
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

VERY cool phone mount...I may have to get one of those. Too bad there's no app like that for my Tilt.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

:shock: Wow, the mount and the phone holder came out to be $69.xx plus $8.xx in shipping... Kinda salty even though it's very usefull!
Jason
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Mine was more because I got the pass-through cradle. I'm considering it as part of the engine management. It's cheap if you think of it that way! :-D :lol:

When my 'ol school Sony stuff goes in, I'll have to add an iPod adapter for that. Even more $$. :( , oh well. Somebody has to pull this ecomomy out of the dumpers, might as well do my part. :P
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

It's Heerrreeee!

After a delay in shipping from Canada my "new" suspension setup has arrived. I'm not normally the excitable type, but for some reason I am for this.

Of course I'll be documenting the install, but I'm doing it in a seperate thread in the suspension forum found here : http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40335
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I was finally able to take care of something that has bugging me since I upgraded to '06 WRX 4pot/2pot brakes. My spare.

I threw a '01 2.5RS wheel and tire in the back because I knew it would clear the brakes, but I lost the utility tray in the process.

After posting no less than 3 other times with zero responses, I tried again last night. Within 1 hour I had a reply. From somebody in town! Stoked!

It was a '06 WRX spare, so it's designed to work perfectly with the 4pot brakes. You can see the difference in the "bulge" needed to clear.

It's a little taller than the original spare, but so are the tires I currently have on the car. With all the spare wheels I have, I never roll on a spare longer than it takes to get home. I'm not at all concerned about the size difference.

Perfect

and ....almost perfect. The tray sits up about 1/8 inch now. I'm hoping a really hot day will make it "settle". :lol:

Now for four days of camping with the boys.........later all.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Had to say Thank-You for the spare tire info...I just upgraded to WRX brakes and this reminded me -DOH!- that I may have an issue come flat tire time (knocking on wood that I don't!).
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T