Added another to the collection. (updates,SIDESWIPED!)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Ok, I just too the $13 plunge and purchased the Dynolicious app for my new iPhone (32gb 3G-S) based upon your results with using it. I also have one of the 1st Gen G-Tech modules as well, so I'll likely compare them both and see how it turns out. In the next week or so I'll take some runs with my '85 C-10 and the wife's '98 LGT & let you know what I came up with.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's cool, I want to hear about how it works. I've got an ipod touch 2nd gen.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Finally found some time to change out the rear taillight panel that got scratched when I used to cheap bike carrier.

The "SUBARU" and "AWD Turbo" emblems are starting to wear, but they still look OK for now.

Interesting fact.....

Both the badges and the recesses on the rear panel can be carefully cleaned and re-painted for almost any effect your willing to try. I'm thinking blue (or white) lettering on a red background to match the early WRX (and my calipers) style. Even subtle backlighting is possible with some creativity.

'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Hmmmm... Very interesting! 8)
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

So I've been having a problem lately where, on occasion, the motor falls flat on it's face. When this happens it will idle and maintain whatever speed I might be at, but it will not accept any throttle input without a severe lack of power almost like fuel cut.

I checked the most common items and all the service/tune-up parts without success. The main problem is that it happens so infrequently that it is hard to nail down. To top things off, my laptop has been on the fritz lately so I couldn't even datalog the PFC to help troubleshoot.

Well, luck was with me at the right moment yesterday. I happened to glance at the Commander while it was happening and I saw the coolant temp voltage up around 4 volts. ~1.5 volts is normal for a warmed up motor. 4 volts is the equivalent of about -10 celsius. It wasn't fuel cut, it was fuel dump! The ECU thought the motor was stone cold and was dumping fuel to compensate. So much fuel it must not have been igniting very well, or not at all.

On an EJ20G the temp sensors are located on the opposite side of the coolant crossover, sort of behind the turbo. I wasn't particularly looking forward to the job, but it turns out that if you pull the intake and all the close PCV lines you can just barely get a wrench and your hand down in there to make the swap.

I'll let you all know tomorrow if the problem is gone.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

I started on page 8 of your thread, then 7, then 6, and the rest of the way down.
backwards, but after reading page 8, i wanted a litlle more so i checked out 7 and so on. very impressive, tons of pics, lots of great info, and just very interesting.

i'll be tuned in, cant wait to see the bags hooked up.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Really nothing else to report other than the milage.

I'm still working on the air compressor install for the Praxis.
The machine shop still has the shortblock.
My EJ20K heads are still inbound from Japan.
Had a line on some EDM headlights, but that's in stasis for now.

I am fighting a knock threshold that keeps lowering itself on the EJ20G. I keep pulling timing and even added a bit more fuel, but it keeps getting worse. I suspect the motor has a problem of some type because it's very audible, but barely registers on the knock sensor. I'll do some diagnostics later, but it's low on the priority list with a new motor coming together. If it goes Kaboom, I'll just have to drive the WRX for a while.....poor me. :lol:
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I finally recieved my EJ20K heads. Straight from Japan!

Shim over bucket:

Needs a cleanup but no signs of damage:

Anybody know if these have the hollow intakes and/or the sodium filled exhausts?

I finally have all the "hard"parts for the motor. Only need to purchase replaceables, mainly pumps and gaskets.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Are those the same heads I have?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Not sure, the EJ20K is supposedly very close to the EJ20R Twin turbo heads.

I believe you have the EJ20H, which would be like the EJ20G HLA underbucket heads.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yeah, the 20G heads have the metal cam gears but other than that they are very similar to the 20H heads & much more common to find.
Jason
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

PhyrraM wrote:Image

Really nothing else to report other than the milage.

I'm still working on the air compressor install for the Praxis.
The machine shop still has the shortblock.
My EJ20K heads are still inbound from Japan.
Had a line on some EDM headlights, but that's in stasis for now.

I am fighting a knock threshold that keeps lowering itself on the EJ20G. I keep pulling timing and even added a bit more fuel, but it keeps getting worse. I suspect the motor has a problem of some type because it's very audible, but barely registers on the knock sensor. I'll do some diagnostics later, but it's low on the priority list with a new motor coming together. If it goes Kaboom, I'll just have to drive the WRX for a while.....poor me. :lol:

LMFAO RIGHT NOW!!!
PhyrraM wrote:I'm really trying hard not to play big brother and tell you to keep the................................. :smt018

Well I hadnt seen this when I posted in you Brainstorming thread...

And those heads look strikingly similar to my ej25 heads. Only differences being that my combustion chambers are bigger, for a 2.5L and you have the turbo oil and coolant ports already.

And thank god you have Shim/Bucket heads... the Shimless Buckets are damn near impossible (or HELLA expensive) to replace and adjust.

Seriously though... just build the motor, dont bother with an STi swap.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Spencer, why do you think I cut myself short in your thread. :P We all have our moments. :smt109 I was just trying to get a clear shot at my odometer......................... :smt083

I'm not seroiusly inverstigating swapping to a STI motor, but always gotta keep options open.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

PhyrraM wrote: We all have our moments. :smt109
That we do!!
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Made some time to work on the car.

I modified the brackets from the OEM air compressor to work with the Praxis compressor. I slightly modified the OEM airtank to see if it will work with the Praxis system. It should have enough volume, but we'll see.....

Considering a strange "lowered knock limit" on the EJ20G, I temporaily took it out of daily driver service. I'm going to take this time to fix the front nose that has been slightly damaged since I bought the car.

So I pulled the front fender to install the compressor. The factory brackets allowed me to mount it using all factory locations.

After it was installed, I pulled off the rest of the front to assess the damage.

cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

Always great to see progress being made on this car! BTW, my SS is back up and running now, still needs a little body work but she drives again. And thanks for the new taillight haha.
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Good to hear your car is back on the road.

I'l be hitting the junkyards soon to look for a straight core support and bumper beam. I'll try to keep an eye out ofr some '92 tails. Were you able to get some cash out of the SVX?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Wow, that must have been a decent hit. My bumper is bent down about 1/2 inch under the front of the marker lights from ramming huge snow balls pushed off by highway plows at high speed and I thought I could fix it, but there's not a sign of a damn thing being bent on the beam, the cover, or the chassis.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

It was supposedly a truck tire tread in the road. It deployed the airbag, and on page 1 you can see he oilpan.
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

The SVX is actually turning into a project again... a guy on the SVX forums and I are transporting the good bits of my SVX into his, which is lacking a powertrain. Should be an interesting project, and I'm glad to be able to save one car out of the whole deal.

Any advice on sealing the taillights up once they're installed? The factory black rubber cement stuff rips out when you remove the old housing, and now when I wash my car my taillight fills with moisture.
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

What's being used by Subaru is black window trim adhesive. You can find it at most auto parts stores in strips or a squeeze tube.
Jason
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

sweet build!

jealous!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I know, I know.....It's been a while. Work has been terrible.

I finally made it out to the junkyard and picked up a core support. Tried to find a white car, but unless you live in Washington or the East coast you gotta take what you can get.

Started by cleaning and marking all the spotwelds.

Centerpunch

Spotweld cutter from Napa. If you've never done this before, get 2 cutters and a pack of extra saws. It takes a bit of practice to get it down, and the saws shear teeth when out of alignment.

Have at it!

If the saw starts walking on you, drill small pilot holes.

Try to saw through just one sheet of metal, leaving the second layer intact. The scond layer will have the spotweld still attatched to be ground down flush after the panel is removed.

If you've found all the spotwelds and you've cut them properly, the panel should come off with only a minimal amount of prying and a touch of jiggling/shifting.

Junkyard panel clamped up to test-fit.

I still have a little work to do before final welding, but it's breaktime for now.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Fenders and lights bolted up to check alignment before welding. The front edge of the hood was bent into a very shallow "u" or smile in the orginal incident so disregard the gaps above the headlights.

Looks good enough to start tacking the core support in. What do you think?

smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Looks good... De yellow your head lights though...
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8