1991 Legacy RS type RA

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

BC5RA
In Neutral

Post by BC5RA »

dropdfocus; It's a turbosmart gated manual boost controller, when i installed the eprom i found it over-boosted (and i didn't want to run the 16psi that the chip was capable of) so i plumbed the boost controller into the the factory inline restriction (not bypassing the factory boost control setup) and trimmed boost back to about 12psi.

This is mainly because i don't want to remove the factory setup in place of an electronic controller, it does the job.

The series one Legacy was in build from 89 until mid 91 at that time the series one was facelifted and revised, i've seen 1st generation legacys registered in 94 though i doubt they were manufactured in that year. In 94 was the introduction of the Twin-turbo the BD platform.

I've never seen the series 1 legacy sold in USDM or ADM markets as i'm fairly sure they were all JDM. All RAs are JDM.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

<<<VOS 16 bit eprom (switchable) >>>

Not sure what this is...chipped car? Electronic boost control?

Please explain for the US market and us 'slow' folks...

Thanks for sharing your most interesting perspective!

AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
BC5RA
In Neutral

Post by BC5RA »

Its known as a "VOS chip" made by Adrian Vos whom you can find on RSLibertyclub online.

Our ECUs have a chip bay, the series one RS had an 8 bit chip bay and the series two (facelifted legacys) had a 16 bit ecu that required two 8 bit chips put on an eprom board, i added a microswitch so that i could toggle between the standard RA ecu setup and the chip setup.

Heres a couple of links; the first an explanation of the chip, the second a dyno pull with it off and then on.

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/sho ... ge=1&pp=25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M39lvuPysY
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

this has got to be the nicest bc legacy ever!!!
2005 STi (500WHP with "SlowSTi" as the license plate lol (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Legacy ss JDM EJ20G swap with STi goodies (DD)
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Just want to keep this in circulation. :) I love this car.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

Those wheels are gorgeous! NICE CAR!
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

thats a beautiful car my friend!
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
Airgne
Second Gear

Re: 1991 Legacy RS type RA

Post by Airgne »

didnt the rs ra have to very distinct thing that you could tell it was a true rs ra(with out taking the engine apart) gold AWIC and gold vavle covers?
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Re: 1991 Legacy RS type RA

Post by impreza_GC8 »

Very nice, I can finally see the car that my turbo came from. I have a VF8 as well, one of very few in the US. In fact, I've never met anybody who even knows what it is. I looked up the Murch guy you mentioned who did your porting work, I'd be interested in having him work on mine as well. The VF8 is pretty potent for its size, I love mine. Nice car! Stick around and post often.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me