My 1st Legacy story. (Pics)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

1QuickLegacy
In Neutral

My 1st Legacy story. (Pics)

Post by 1QuickLegacy »

Hey everyone just wanted to post up my new ride i acquired upon trade.
This is my first legacy well actually my fist Subaru EVER!!!

I have been a VW enthusiast since i was 16 (23 now) owning various Rabbits GTIs and Jettas and have never even thought of owning a 1st gen legacy or a Subaru at all for that matter. I am from Oregon and occasionally over the years have caught a glimpse of Devan's STi/WRX Swapped 91 SS cruising by around the area, stopped at a local parts store or at the pir race track, I thought it was the coolest older Subaru i had ever seen, but I had no idea what it was or a thing about it but i knew one day i would figure it out and would love to own one. THE DAY HAS COME!!!!!

Heres my trade trail to how i got my legacy.

First i purchased a 1995 2.0 Jetta for $800 installed lowering springs, leathers added some spray paint, then sadly slammed into a raised manhole cover causing significant damage. Time to trade. Craigslist she gos. I kept the wheels ;)

Traded The Jetta straight across for this 1983 Kawasaki kz 440 rat bike

Decided hanging on for dear life is just not my thing. Time to Craigslist again in search of another car.

I received a text message from kid with pics of a 91 legacy it appeared to be lowered and had a funny orange wheel.. :lol: It dawned on me that's the same kind of car as that cool grey metallic one i see driving around. I had to have it!!!

Upon meeting he wanted the bike so bad he didnt even ride it before he said ok ill trade. I noticed shiny orange camber adjustment on the struts and got excited. KSPORTS COILOVERS!! :shock:

I drove the car it idles a little rough, the radiator starts to leak a little bit when it gets warm, and transmission grinds in second (unless i shift slow)
It was such a joy to drive i didnt care.

The car:

1991 pearl white N/A ej22 awd

Mods:
Ksport Coilovers dampening adjust w/ front camber adjust
5x100 to 5x114 spacer adapters
17x8 RS-GT Aero speed Wheels
205 50 17 tires
Turbo Hood
Tinted tail lights
Looks to be wrx Muffler w/resonator delete

Plans

New Radiator
Paint wheels. Open to suggestion! Im thinking all white or maybe bronz Photo shop help! :)
Upgrade to 16 inch bbs style wheels.
black roof
lip kit (still researching)
New ineterior. What fits and looks best?
1991 EJ22 AWD Legacy
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Re: My 1st Legacy story. (Pics)

Post by HomeSlice »

nice trades! good find there. turbo clone. got the bumper and spoiler too. if you were closer id have some seats for sale for you. i do have a nice honey comb grill with red emblem and oem painted white door handles for sale.

on interior
93-05? impreza seats fit. 02 up u will sit higher in the front. rear seats 93-05? fit in the rear with minor mods. make sure to get sedan. best bet is finding some nice sti lhd seats. jdmgary on rs got some nice seats for 380 that fit our cars but rhd. pick up only too

MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
1QuickLegacy
In Neutral

Post by 1QuickLegacy »

Turbo clone you say? So is the whole front end on the car from a turbo car or just the hood?

Did any n/a cars come with that bumper and headlight set up?

Those seats would be amazing! i would love to have those. Are the ones pictured from an impreza?

Any pictures of the grille? also i AM looking for white door handles. Im a little scared to paint over chrome.

Also has anyone had troubles with there trunk not opening? the lock just spins and the trunk popper dose nothing..
1991 EJ22 AWD Legacy
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

yup the bumper and spoiler are off a turbo.
the seats are ver 4 5 wrx seats. gary is in pittsburgh pa.
on the pics jus posted some in my fs thread.
the cable might of poped off at the trunk latch. same with the key hole prob linkage disconnected. if your seats fold down jus reach back there and pop it open and fix the linkages. or take seats out. hope there aint a dead body back there.
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

Yeah the hood, front bumper, & rear spoiler are off a turbo model.

Just a note about the seats. I found that on my 90 Legacy L, the 02 WRX seats did not sit any higher than the stock seats. Others have reported the seats sit higher in their turbo legacy, and my theory is because the turbo has a sunroof, the turbo legacy seats sit lower. So the WRX seats shouldn't sit any higher in your Legacy....assuming it doesn't have a sunroof.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
1QuickLegacy
In Neutral

Post by 1QuickLegacy »

Awesome info about the seats. And you are correct i do not have a sunroof. i guess i will get into my trunk when i find some new seats to buy.

Had a brand new steering wheel and shift boot laying around for years in the garage so i decided to purchase a sparco hub adapter from PRE performance and install it today. The interior feels so much less cramped and driving with the new wheel is a blast!
Some will not be a fan but i don't care i like it ;)

1991 EJ22 AWD Legacy
1QuickLegacy
In Neutral

Post by 1QuickLegacy »

Oh and one more thing THE WHEELS WILL BE PAINTED SOON!!! ew i know..
1991 EJ22 AWD Legacy
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'm not a fan of the steering wheel's color, but an aftermarket wheel like that definitely makes it much better to drive. It's like taking off the 2 condoms and the Romney endorsed chastity pajamas you'd been having to wear until then.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
1QuickLegacy
In Neutral

Post by 1QuickLegacy »

I'm not a huge fan of the color either, iv had this wheel brand new in the box for almost five years. But the way it feels and makes the car feel makes it all worth it to me.

Also today i installed a brand new radiator and re tuned the ksport coil over suspension.
It was riding terrible, bouncing like a honda, sliding, skipping and rubbing like crazy.
The previous owner had the dampers set at full stiff and the ride heights adjusted with the spring perches so there was hardly any suspension travel.
WTF? How is this beneficial at all... why spend 1000 dollars on suspension if you don't even know how to set it up properly. Im no expert as this is my first set of "real" coilovers, but based on all i have read i was able to re tune and greatly improve the handling

Preloaded the suspension 5mm in the front and 8mm in the rear
Raised and lowered ride heights all evenly to as low as i could be without any rubbing
Set damping in front 18 clicks back from full stiff and rear 15 clicks back from full stiff.

My goal with this set up was to make it daily drivable yet fun comfort/performance.
Slightly stiffer in the rear to help with rear rubbing issue at low height settings. this should also promote over steer in return help the understeer of the vehicle correct?
1991 EJ22 AWD Legacy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, stiffer setting in the rear will promote oversteer. Be careful though as I had a setup like that on my Legacy and the tail would come out when the car was pushed. It was somewhat predictable, but usually occurred at not-so-great times and scared the crap out of you.

So if you can find a parking lot or somewhere to test the handling, I'd suggest that. I prefer a neutrally balanced car. That way if I want the tail to come out I can usually make it come out with more power.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
1QuickLegacy
In Neutral

Post by 1QuickLegacy »

well the setup was promoting oversteer and riding a little too rough still. The spring rates are so stiff alone i went ahead and tried all four corners on full soft. Its amazing!
very well balanced through corners and rides more like stock. I also threw the stock wheels and tires back on because rubbing on every corner is just plain stupid and shaking at 60mph+ is not ok.

Installed 2 new front axles aswell the og ones were clicky and spilling grease.
1991 EJ22 AWD Legacy