92ColoradoTurbo's build/help

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

alexandermf
Third Gear

Re: 92ColoradoTurbo's build/help

Post by alexandermf »

Legacy777 wrote:
The master mechanic then realized i was using all stock pulleys, which i thought was normal, but he said i had to get a timing kit and replace it all.
What do you mean by this?

Josh: chris's pulleys/idlers were toast. My friend recommended he replace those with new ones after going through all the trouble/work/money Chris put into the car. He used an example of another friends 05 fxt idler seizing and almost messing up his interference engine. Anywho I've always just bought the entire timing kits with water pump cuz I've never had problems and its a good price :)
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

cj91legss wrote:It's a really easy task. I cant remember which user bought some, but he/she bought a set and then installed them and had the clunk. ended up buying some tein coil overs to fix the problem instead of taking the couple hours to fix the sti struts like i gave advice to. Honestly it's worth the couple hours of work to re-grease them to make sure they are good pre-install.

Said user went against my advice and just installed his/her sti struts and experienced the "clunk" and was un-happy they did not do the procedure.

So just a heads up, or word of advice, you should re-grease the sti struts.
Cj:as much as I agree with you to regrease these struts, these babies were pristine, def the nicest set/lowest mileage I've ever come across, absolutely no clunks when pulled off, but hey while they are off the car it wouldn't hurt Chris.
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Post by 92ColoradoTurbo »

cj91legss wrote:Those struts are awesome tho. I have them on my 92
Can you post a picture of how it sits?? I'm really curious lol. I want mine to sit so that line/bend along the doors and rear fender is practically parallel to the ground. I'm wondering if these will do that :|
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

If you look thru my build you will find the answer to that quastion.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

alexandermf wrote:Josh: chris's pulleys/idlers were toast. My friend recommended he replace those with new ones after going through all the trouble/work/money Chris put into the car. He used an example of another friends 05 fxt idler seizing and almost messing up his interference engine. Anywho I've always just bought the entire timing kits with water pump cuz I've never had problems and its a good price :)
Ok, yeah I would agree with that....no sense in putting stuff back on you know may cause issues in the future.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Yea and since its all already off, why not? But thanks for double checking my progress haha :) Hopefully they come in today or tomorrow! Wanna get this thing on the road!!
A side note, we might have a new member on here soon. I've convinced my neighbor of the awesomeness these legacy's have and he's gunna try and pick up a 93 whinestone turbo wagon awd auto with 220k for $1500 woo! I want a wagon :(
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

The red one in Denver on cl listed for 1800 and the newer wrx in garage in the background? If thats the one your thinking about its been sold for about 3 weeks. Tried to get my buddy into it
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

IT RUNS!!! I cant believe i put it back together right... well for the most part.

DO NOT SKIMP OUT ON HOSE CLAMPS!

that should be a famous quote haha.

So here's the catch. I didnt put a hose clamp on the coolant-to-turbo hose (yea yea yea i know) and that sprayed coolant everywhere causing the car to overheat pretty quick. So i put a clamp on and that gave it a huge air bubble(thats probly still in there). We then we're burping the system but that air bubble made it overheat to red line! The CEL turned on and then after some burping, it went away and the heat dropped a little.

Now my upper radiator hose is hot to touch but my lower radiator hose is just luke warm... My friends say thats cause it needs a new thermostat.
Im guessing that when it heated to redline, it busted my thermostat??? maybe.

But other than that, it runs and is supperrr loud cause im running just the DP hahaha
Chris
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Someone else can correct me im i am wrong but i dont think the lower hose ever gets too hot. I think the top hose is the inlet and the bottom hose is the outlet, so all the coolant has to go thru both fans before it geta back into the engine.

As stated, i could be completely wrong.

93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Chris's lower rad hose was cold, wouldnt even call it lukewarm lol, either a thermostat or air bubble so big that we haven't burped out... Sooo frustrating lol
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Sooo should I continue to release the air bubble first or go get a new thermo?

On another note, hopefully I can get the car in tomorrow to get the rest of the exhaust on! woo
Chris
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

At 20 something bucks for a thermo and 10 for coolant, i would just replace it anyways and re bleed the system to remove air. As far as what i stated, im not fully up to par on how our cooling system flows. I hope someone chimes in soon.

93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Btw. Only run a thermo from subaru. The "other" stores have a much more shallow thermo and have been known to go bad sooner than they should.

93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Well after running a downpipe all last night for 4 hours, I got tired of everything plastic rattling inside my cab! So this morning, bright n early, I got it to the exhaust shop and put the rest of the exhaust on. It's not as loud as i thought it would be which is good and it doesnt drone all that much when you cruise as long as you keep the rpm's steady, and it gets LOUD when you get on it :D . But anyway, I think it turned out quite alright!

Haters gunna hate :P
Chris
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Looks just like my setup lol!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Well I hope you dont have your boost gauge attached to your dash by a piece of duct tape and double-sided sticky foam pads lol xD but is yours white? I think I have a few pictures of it lol, Alex and I were at Slodrive and I was like, 3 leggies in a row?!? F this, I'm taking some pics! haha

You still down for one of the meets dude? Would like to meet ya and see your car run!
Chris
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

I never really showed how I did my wheels and I'm bored right now so I guess I'll throw a "how to/what I did" kinda deal :D

So I fist took off all the wheels and sanded them with sand paper. The grit wasn't too high because it would scratch the factory white powder-coating. I just sanded down so the old paint was flush with the powder-coat and the flaking of the original paint was sanded back so it didnt flake!
Then I gave it a good rubbing of paint-thinner or whatever it was to get rid of all the sanded off paint!

Then I taped the inside of the lug holes and exacto-knifed them so they were somewhat circular. Taped the wheel weights too. I put index cards and think paper squares and shoved em in the bead of the tire and it worked great, except when a huge gust of wind came :?

After 4 coats of primer on each rim, I let them all dry overnight just to be sure the paint was dry!

Woke up the next morning and my car was right where I left it!! :-D

I didn't know there was a such thing as "Satin" black which is like semi-gloss. And I had already bought flat black... So I just went back to the store and just picked up a couple cans of satin clear coat and worked the same! :wink:

Here they are being painted!

After using 6 coats of paint + 3 coats of clear coat + painted red valve stem covers + tire shine = what they look like on the ground! I don't mean to brag but they look pretty clean 8)

And here they are back on the car! :P

If I were to give any after thoughts, it'd be.... Take your time and sand off ALL the original paint down to the white powder-coating. You can kinda see where to old paint was flaking in some of the rims. Good thing black rims make that quite unnoticeable! :D

Well there ya are! Have a good one!! :mrgreen:
Chris
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Nice work on the wheels! I need to do that to my wheels. Black car with dark wheels looks good and my wife even agrees.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Yea I'm thinking about painting/plasti-dipping the hood black too. I need to repaint the black trim though cause it has so many scuffs on it :/
But yea, the wheels cost my all of what, $30? you could probly do it cheaper since I'm not a very thrifty person lol. But yea, One nice weekend, a couple hours each day, and there ya go! Black on black is sick though! :D
Chris
DD50
First Gear

Post by DD50 »

That sound from just the downpipe was pretty kick ass. You did get a lot of looks. lol
Proud Owner of a 1992 Winestone Mica Subaru Legacy LSi non turbo with 198,000 miles. Soon to be turboed
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Lookin good
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think I know where that rock outcrop is.

BTW, the wheels look good!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Haha yea, Garden of the Gods! I love that place. Too bad the Waldo Canyon fire made Rampart Range Road (an awesome red dirt road that's conencted to GotG and is 17mi long with tons of wheelin spots) closed :/

But the car isn't perfect...
-I need new fuel hoses from my fuel filter to my rails cause it's leaking gas and I can smell it in the cab.
-The bov makes it run rich at idle and in between shifts and it also makes it idle like shit...
-The struts or plastic in the back squeak and rattle alot when I hit bumps on the road
-Worst of all... I'm leaking about 2qts or oil a day. I, and a few others, have suspected it to be my rear main that's toast.... woo more money I don't have to be spent.
Chris
DD50
First Gear

Post by DD50 »

92ColoradoTurbo wrote:Haha yea, Garden of the Gods! I love that place. Too bad the Waldo Canyon fire made Rampart Range Road (an awesome red dirt road that's conencted to GotG and is 17mi long with tons of wheelin spots) closed :/

But the car isn't perfect...
-I need new fuel hoses from my fuel filter to my rails cause it's leaking gas and I can smell it in the cab.
-The bov makes it run rich at idle and in between shifts and it also makes it idle like shit...
-The struts or plastic in the back squeak and rattle alot when I hit bumps on the road
-Worst of all... I'm leaking about 2qts or oil a day. I, and a few others, have suspected it to be my rear main that's toast.... woo more money I don't have to be spent.
Damn that sucks. You need help fixing this stuff you let me know. I've had plenty of practice on my own car
Proud Owner of a 1992 Winestone Mica Subaru Legacy LSi non turbo with 198,000 miles. Soon to be turboed
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Ok more bad news...

Tried starting it this morning (about 25 degrees) and it barely turned on and was idling low so it died. I started it again and gave it a couple revs which were really slow and it was smoking blue out the tail pipe for a little till it got a little warm. Then I started to head to work and after it got past 15mph, it started whinning/fluttering kind like if something was rubbing in the fender-well but it was coming from under the hood. Opened it up to find gas everywhere! It was coming from the fuel filter outlet so I tightened it (even though the hose clamp was biting through the rubber already) and it still made the weird noise.

I don't know if the gas leak is making that noise or maybe my clutch cause it's going out and it was making noise cause it was cold or what?

It whined when I was above 15mph-ish and it got louder the faster I went but only when I was in gear. It would stop in between shifts when the clutch was in.

With this and the massive oil leak, I've declared that driving my car is not a wise choice until I get these things fixed lol
Chris