Alex's 1993 Legacy L (PIC HEAVY)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Arbiter
First Gear

Re: Alex's 1993 Legacy L (PIC HEAVY)

Post by Arbiter »

Thanks!

At first glance, it looks like it'll fit great! The lines with this bumper and the Legacy one are actually very similar, so the headlights, grill, and corners appear to flow well with the bumper. Not to mention the fact that some of the bumper's mounting points are identical as well. We'll see though, going to clean her up a bit tomorrow with that supposed 80 or 90 degree weather we are supposed to be getting with our Subaru pressure washer :)

Got to find some Outback skirts or something similar, and a rear lip next... Still debating on a small spoiler or possibly a ducktail. The junkyards are filled with parts, but unfortunately I'm not legal to enter due to age.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Hey guys! Been a while without an update, and unfortunately, there really isn't any today.

Funds are still a little short so I've been unable to do any mods or anything. Some cool things coming soon though, going to be getting rid of a few things here at home to get some cash.

Come Friday, I'm dropping off the Legacy down at Jeff Mackin's to get it diagnosed, and hopefully, leaks and other stuff fixed - getting it roadworthy.
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Post by nortonjefferson »

Stoked you got ahold of jeff! Hope everything works out as planned, Im excited to see more updates!
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

I feel guilty for not posting any updates in awhile... awhile by my standards :)

So, since my fenders are off, I might as well remove the snorkus.
Also checked out my filter, it's pretty clean! It looks like Subaru took care of a fair amount of maintenance before it was sold to me. The timing belt also looks like it was done.

Aside from the dirty interior (Now clean), the oil leaks, and that odd accessory noise, the fact that it's running pretty strong, no body rust, and that sort of thing, it feels like I kind of found a little gem, despite the fact that it's only pushing 130hp of pure fury. N/A life. Plus, I'm the 2nd owner :).

Back to the snorkus; there seems to be some debate on what to keep, and what to discard. Are there any disadvantages to just leaving the whole thing off? I intend on going with a conical filter + heat shield soon, especially since I like the added space by removing the airbox if that makes any difference.

Edit: Put in the wrong photo for one. Fail.
Last edited by Arbiter on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You could take the snorkus off, but with a cone filter you are now pulling in hot engine bay air as opposed to cold air from the fender. So it would be a "hot air intake." Some people enlarge the fender hole and shove the cone filter in there which would be a better. I'm just not sure how much if any performance gain there would be. Consider this, the spiciest version 2 STI made 275 HP with the same airbox and snorkus as you have.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Well aware of turning it into a HAI :) - That's probably what I'll end up doing in the long run though, putting the filter in the fender. I'll probably buy some piping off Ebay or something and fabricate from the MAF into the fender. In reality, all I'm looking for is kind of a cleaner engine bay, so the fact that I have the big airbox out of there helps a bit.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Since I also own an n/a 2.2, I highly recommend grabbing the plastic intake piping off an ej25d (96-99 LGT's, some 96 and all 97-99 outbacks, 96 only legacy LSI, 98 RS & Forester). It has a large chamber (plenum) right before the throttle body, so when you step on it, it has a larger volume of air to ingest before pulling air through the filter. Real world it means it feels like your car has more bottom end. I'm sure there's no actual HP or TQ benefit, but you can really feel it down low.

You can run the whole system in your car if you grab everything including the airbox top and bottoms and connected PCV hoses. Or just grab the main plenum and tube all the way up to the maf if you go with the cone filter (plus the PCV hoses again). Same maf as your car incidentally.

You sure NW Recycling off Machias won't let you in? I'm certain i've seen a couple <10 year olds in there with their dad.
nortonjefferson
First Gear

mike-tracy wrote:You sure NW Recycling off Machias won't let you in? I'm certain i've seen a couple <10 year olds in there with their dad.
This. or even 360 auto recycling next to NW, i have been there a few times and have never seen dudes get ID'd. just sign in and youre good to go! also i know for a fact that all about auto wrecking in snohomish by the baseball fields definitely doesnt ID. i went there a few times when i was 16 and 17.
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

I'll check those places out! I forget if I mentioned it before, but Lynnwood's P&P actually let me in no problem. Headed up to Arlington and I got ID Checked, and even with the parental supervision, was still rejected.

I'll also keep an eye out for those parts, Mike!

Thanks!
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Hey guys!

Some funds might be coming in soon, let's see if what I'm selling sells...

Wanting to upgrade the brakes on the Legacy...
Just want to make sure before I order everything, I'm ordering everything I need.

* Front Brakes:
03 WRX Calipers 2-Pot, Rotors, Pads + Front/Right Caliper Brackets (If I read another thread correctly, the brackets should bolt up to my current front backing plates?

* Rear Brakes
H6 Rear Rotors, the H6 Caliper Bracket 26625AE000, and matching Pads. No Calipers, right?

To compensate for the extra brake pedal travel I'd end up getting, I'll need an SVX MBC, right? 26410PA001. AFAIK, there aren't really too much FWD Non-ABS SVX OEM MBCs laying around anymore, so would this work here? Is the reservoir also needed?The part numbers match.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Master-Cy ... M7&vxp=mtr

One last thing, I'll need SS brake lines for an 03 WRX and an 00 - 04 Outback/Legacy for the respective rotors and such, correct?

Appreciate the help!
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I believe i have the 2 pots you need. The 03 WRX ones should be the same as the 04 XT ones, which i have a spare set of. And rotors too i believe, but i'm not sure what kind of shape they're in.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Just realized my school prevented a bunch of my posts from going through. Sigh.
I'll keep that in mind when I get some more funds!

Garage is empty for now though... she's in Jeff's hands for the time being as of 4/29.
Can't wait to see her again.

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

No problem! Make me an offer when you're ready (if you want). You're nearby, and the idea of shipping them is not appealing, so I'm pretty open to offers.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Tried those junkyards except All About in Snohomish… 18+ only. I guess they all just started cracking down on age and stuff since the Lynnwood incident.

Looks like Pick n Pull will be my place when I'm 16…

No update on the Legacy yet, got a few more parts incoming though… Swarovski crystals anyone?
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Just got an update from Jeff...

So, here are the issues:

I previously mentioned a ticking noise - I never got around to it, Jeff did. Someone said something related to the Injectors earlier in the thread, and sure enough, there was a short in the injector so whenever the car would have the key turned over, gas would flood in and cause the gas smell in the garage. So that's getting fixed.

The power steering boot and axle shafts are being replaced along with the timing belt and components. The alternator is being replaced with a NAPA one instead.

Nearly all the gaskets, if not all, are being replaced as well.

Unfortunately, this calls for the engine being pulled... at least Mom will get her garage again. Will try to get some photos of that process!
Still blurry on the pricing. Jeff's going to give a call tomorrow on that.

Luckily, he says the engine is still running strong and should last a good while. Plus, no rust, nothing on the body.

So basically, I'll have a pretty fresh engine to start off with. After all of the maintenance is done, I intend on working on it myself as stuff starts falling apart individually haha. Would rather work on one issue at once, rather than 30.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Playing "search and destroy" is always fun
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:Playing "search and destroy" is always fun
Totally looking forward to it someday haha. Maybe when finals testing isn't around the corner... and maybe when I actually get a job... running out of crap in my room to sell.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Hey guys.

So even though the Legacy is down for the moment, a constant flow of parts is still active...

My car has a 2.2l EJ22E and is SOHC. Will EJ22T Headers fit? Car's in shop at the moment, so I can't exactly go look at it.
These cheap-ass headers on Ebay say they'll fit EJ22T SOHCs, so these should fit a 22E unless the header ports are different, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-EJ22T-Ex ... B~&vxp=mtr
nortonjefferson
First Gear

The header ports are the same; dual port. I peeped the link and it seems youd be better off buying a one piece header. They may be a little more expensive but if you shop around you can usually find one for 120 with free shipping. Do you plan on boosting your car? Because from what i can tell that header is kinda funky, it says its for a turbo motor and has downpipe in the description. i mean im sure you could make it work but youd have to figure out the exhaust portion out a little differently than if you just went with one piece N/A headers. Try ej25 headers, make sure theyre dual port (two ports off the head instead of one). i bought a set, never used them but they bolted right up to my buddys 22e without incident.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Didn't know EJ25 headers worked with our models... I read somewhere that all Phase 1 engines had dual ports, so thanks for clearing that up for me. Makes the search for headers a lot easier.

Eventually I plan on boosting my car, but since the motor is going to be pulled for the maintenance, a bunch of money just got dumped. I'll be finishing off basic engine stuff first, already got all the stuff on the way.. making it look a bit nicer and getting a couple more horses out of it, then I'll finish up the interior including the audio system, move onto suspension and braking, and if I'm still in the U.S. at the time (possible going international for college), then I'll throw a turbo on. Somewhere in there I'll also be fixing up the body.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

So I got an update on the Legacy from Jeff...

First off, I'll just start by saying the pricing he gave me was not what I expected... what I got made me really happy! Plus, knowing that the cash is going to a local independent makes me feel a bit better as well. He said to keep prices down, he'll look around his shop for parts that are in better condition. My dad who's been in contact with him lately told me that it'll probably be another week, and that he'll also be checking the clutch plate/transmission and a few other extra things as well. I was also told that if time allows, a little "surprise" might be thrown in as well. Anxious to see what it is!

Meanwhile, got a heat shield for the conical intake until I can stick it in the fender, some cheap super cool JDM $W4G washers, a few other gold stuff to match the color scheme, a GC strut bar, and a few other things for the engine. That'll pretty much wrap that up for now until I get it turboed, everything else I'll be doing will probably involve paint or powder.

Also got a few things coming in for the interior... Will post pictures soon!
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Onr comment, any headers you go with wont line up with your cats. You'll need a welder to sort it out
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Okay, that's fine, but they'll line of with the actual heads? Just clarifying.

Going to a local muffler shop once the Legacy is back in my hands to likely have something built back to the cat...
that said, any preferred welders or shops you guys happen to like? Not looking for something fancy, but something cheap to replace my current "setup."
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I had pretty good luck with Pro Muffler And Brakes on Wall Street in Everett (2129 Wall St. Everett, WA 98201). That was quite a while ago, so who knows if they're still good.

Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Randy's 4x4 in Smokey Point did a good job on my exhaust, and didn't charge an arm and a leg either