Alex's 1993 Legacy L (PIC HEAVY)

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Arbiter
First Gear

Alex's 1993 Legacy L (PIC HEAVY)

Post by Arbiter »

Hey everyone!
Been gone for awhile, but I've been lurking about the forums for quite some time getting information on my car.
Decided I should start my car's own thread so both you guys and I can keep track of my progress.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time or money to work on this, so it'll be slow, but I'm pretty satisfied with what a 15 year old kid has done in 2 months time.

But enough of that crap, onto the car!

She's a 1993 Subaru Legacy L, the base model of everything. Only "upgrade" she has are disc brakes. No ABS, no sunroof, etc. It does have AWD though :D
The goal for this car is to turn it into a reliable, comfortable, turbocharged, good looking, daily driver. She'll be lowered, VTEC stickers will go on, I plan on dipping it (Not rattlecan though, I do want it to look nice, but I can't afford a paintjob), etc. Maybe not the VTEC stickers, but you catch my drift ;)

The first thing I wanted to do was, mainly since I can't do anything else, is clean that interior!

Okay, so unfortunately I didn't take a lot of photos before I disassembled it :/ You can see the coffee stains, mystery sticky liquid on the sound deadening and other plastics, even coffee on the headliner like srsly Nancy (Prev. owner, I'm the second)?

Center console beginning to come out!
More crap coming out
Hey, look what I did :P

This car was nasty. Cigar ashes were friggen everywhere. I cleaned the door panels and dash and every other little piece. You'll notice that I removed some of the deadening on the floor. Well... I went further than that lol.

I removed every single piece of deadening with the exception of the area surrounding the shifter, since it was relatively clean and a PITA to get off. The reason for doing so is to put new Butyl based deadening, CCF foam, and a MLV layer. I used Noico deadening for 75 - 100% coverage along with the CCF Layer they sell. I also used Home Depot DB3 Acoustical Barrier for the floor and spare wheel well... speaking of the spare wheel well...

What you see there is the deadening layer. This went all over the car, on the inner and outer shell with near 100% to 75% coverage on most areas.

Deadening was placed in the outer shell of the door as well.

Here you can see that acoustical barrier on the passenger side floor and rear seat. Underneath is also the CCF foam. CCF was also placed behind plastic areas like my AC ducting to prevent rattles.

While doing the deadening process, I broke my AC ducting..

I decided to fix it the ghetto way. Aluminum tape FTW!

So by now, the car was completely sound deadened. I intend on putting a new audio system in and 2 12" subs are gonna shake this car without the deadening. Now, it feels amazingly sturdy and feels like a Mercedes when you close the doors. Very happy with the result.

Meanwhile, I was also painting the plastic pieces and dyeing door panels, dash, and carpets.

I used Plastidip for all plastics with the exception of the dash pieces and door trims, where I used metallic silver spray paint and some sort of VHT black vinyl dye for the vinyls.

That's the lower dash piece, I had to remove the harness and separate the two pieces as one part was plastic and the other was vinyl.

Before and after. Guys, if you're removing your door fabric inserts, be ready for some work. I went to the junkyard and got a few more door cards since I really screwed up my inserts during removal. The original plan was to remove the inserts and wrap it in suede. Not even an upholstery shop would do it. I re-dyed the new door cards black and kept the door inserts on this time.

Dyed carpet! Dipped the rear light as well. The carpet looks dirty, but it's pure black in real life. Eventually, I got to the point to where I could put the dashboard back in. So now, it was dyed and cleaned. Every little plastic piece was dipped. The headliner handles were dyed black, etc.

After screwing up on the headliner trying to wrap it myself, I took the headliner and rear seats to an upholstery shop to get professionally done.

As of now (4/10/16), I got the headliner back. It was foambacked and wrapped in suede, the original material was removed.

Bad photo, but you can see how well the plastidip turned out on the trim pieces. Note the suede headliner. Also wrapped the center console armrest piece in suede myself. Again, every little plastic piece is black now. They were blue grey originally.

So, stuff was getting put back together.

Here's how it looks right now:

Not bad huh? I also put a suede shift boot as well as an NRG Ebrake handle on. More photos later. I have an NRG shift knob, but it was meant for a Honda, so I need to get it rethreaded to our shift knob threading. I also attached an NRG wheel with an EBay quick release. Just so you know, these Ebay quick releases SUCK. Save up for the real thing. Had to remove the clock spring as well. No more cruise control.

Before I put the cluster in, I also replaced every single halogen bulb with LEDS. Made sure they were 360 degree LEDS as well for exterior bulbs. Going to retrofit projectors into the headlights later on.

Turned out okay, going to solder in LED strips later on.

Got some new wheels too:

So that's where I'm at right now. I cleaned the interior, put some fancy stuff in, that's it. Wheels aren't mounted yet, need to get rubber.

I'm currently trying to get it running better now. Still need my seats as well.

The plan is to send it off to a builder, get the engine built with ACL bearings and STI Rods for now, along with a full rebuild with gaskets and other stuff that needs replacing. Has 195k miles.

Right now I have a few issues with the engine such as, when it's on ACC mode, the sound of a relay clicking is going off on the relay box, and in the engine, a loud ticking noise is going off as well. When the relay clicks, the sound is slightly quieter in the engine bay. The engine bay sound comes on 5 seconds after I turn the car to ACC mode. Not sure what it is. Most people are directing me to the Evaporation Flow Control Solenoid, but I have no clue where that is on these older cars... Not too sure what it is, here's a link to the video of the sound though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwW5naD1TeQ

Any ideas?
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Re: Alex's 1993 Legacy L (PIC HEAVY)

Post by originalcyn »

It's nice to have members in the north again. Congrats! Looks very nice. I was hoping to do some sound deadening on my forester as well, so the pictures are a nice inspiration.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Thanks! Go for it, the results are great. Glad to see someone local as well. Now, unfortunately, I actually haven't tested it on the road, but inside, well, it's difficult to hear people yelling at me from the inside. The only issue now is the common wind noise issue from the mirrors.

In an effort to keep costs down, I went with 100sqft of the Noico 50mil deadening and 70sqft of the CCF Liner they sell. Add on a roll of DB3 (Home Depot) Acoustical Barrier (4x8ft), and the cost should be around $270. I did order too much liner and DB3 though, you only need 1 roll of each if you're just doing the floor, trunk, and spare wheel well. Get 100sqft for good coverage with the actual deadening though. So you should be looking at $185 IIRC. Ofc, you also have a Forester... But that should give you a general direction if you decide to use a similarly priced material.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Like Kijan said, glad to see ppl up north! We'll probably see each other if your in snohomish, I drive through there almost everyday.
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Yeh, I'm in Snohomish! Go to school up at Glacier Peak actually. Hopefully once the Legacy is roadworthy I can start spotting you guys!
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Nice work! Keep on coming!
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Hey guys! Small update.
Took advantage of the sun today...

Got new rear seats custom upholstered, re-foamed, 5W4G.
Also cleaned the hood and engine bay.

Sorry about the crap photos. Facebook downsized them a bit - too lazy to email them to myself on my phone.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I like those seats. Where did you have them upholstered at?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Glacier Peak huh? I live down the road from there. Over by Silver Lake sorta.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Mike,
I got the seats and headliner upholstered at Hoglund's Top Shop down in Everett. Pretty heavy tag came with them too, just so you know. But, they feel sooooooo amazing! Same for that headliner. Makes me want to burn my front seats.

Awesome hearing that there are more 1st gens nearby too!

Meanwhile... put some rice onto my car for an afterschool project :) Should have got +10chp. Package took a month to get here since USPS lost it during shipment. Seller was cool enough to send a new one out with some extra stickers too.
Messed up on the windshield banner since it turns out it was designed for a 2015 WRX, so fitment was off and I had to do each letter manually. The picture makes it look better than it actually is... oh well. First attempt haha.

Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

That's at least 30+hp there!! Now just throw a giant wing and a coffee can muffler, and your set
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Awww man.... this rebuild was going good, digging it, then the stickers. :(
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

What can I say… it's hard to steer away from these things when your a 15 yr. old kid and all the Honda/Acura boys at school have giant Teriyaki Boyz banners all over their cars haha. Coffee can muffler later until I cam afford a real exhaust for the turbo
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Yeah those Honda teriyaki boys are my favorite to distroy playing around with. You would think having a giant frt mnt would be a dead giveaway.
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Post by nortonjefferson »

#demyakiboiz hahahah
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Just remember, opinions are like assholes. You are making one of the nicest 1st gens I've seen in a long time. I feel the stickers detract from the cleanness and classiness of the car. At the end of the day, your happiness with the end result is what counts.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
nortonjefferson
First Gear

mike-tracy wrote: You are making one of the nicest 1st gens I've seen in a long time.
This^^ for real though youre putting in the hard work and doing it right from the beginning. I wish i would have went through my interior when i first got my car and had the time to work on it. Also i have an 02 wrx TMIC and y pipe for your turbo conversion if you need :wink: haha. Still stoked to have another enthusiast up north here, cant wait till you can cruise that thing around! Subbed.
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Yeh, I see how stickers do remove the cleanliness, although, it really isnt too clean with all of the dents and stuff haha. No rust though and 1 owner. This is not neccessarily a rebuild project, but rather… well, tbh, I have no clue. I like hearing opinions or suggestions as long as its kept civil and what not. I'll tell y'all what won't be happening: 4ft spoiler, DeLorean camber (maybe some, nothing that detracts from drivability, no more than 2 degrees, still researching), Spinners, rattlecan paintjob (I will be investing in a gun and plastidipping the car white and applying a glass coat over it), etc.

Not going to lie, its going to look a lot different in the end. Being my first car, I'm kind of experimenting with different things to see what I like. Probably going to remove some of the stickers later on :)

I'm buying an Impreza L bumper tomorrow for $10, just to hint at what I mean by "different." Afterwards, its going into shop to get it diagnosed, leaks fixed, and that ACC mode issue analyzed. I'll probably finish off the interior with WRX seats and an audio system, make the engine a little nicer and start getting her looking nice on the exterior and working on suspension and braking. On that note, anyone have any recommendations for a shop that does good diagnoses, leak fixing, etc?
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Arbiter wrote: On that note, anyone have any recommendations for a shop that does good diagnoses, leak fixing, etc?
Jeff is a local guy who does very good work. i actually bought my car from him and he was super upfront and reasonable with me. He does quality work, all oem parts and backs his work up with a solid warranty. on top of all that he's a really nice guy and super easy to get along with. If youre interested i can PM you his work number when i get home from work. he works out of his house like five minutes out of town (id be more specific but im not trying to give his info to the interwebs haha) and he is a certified and trained by subaru technician. been in the game for over 25 years. let me know
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

If your still young and trying new things out, try fixing the leaks and stuff yourself. Knowledge is a priceless thing to have, and there's only one way to learn.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

If I could get a PM of Jeff's info, that'd be great! He on RCS (Facebook) by any chance?

Also, being young, I love to learn about these cars. I'm kind of wanting the Legacy to be diagnosed and leaks fixed right now just so I can get it up and running and to have a clean slate to start with. Anything that happens afterwards I want to do myself. I'll be taking auto body and engine classes Junior (next) year (hopefully, let's see how bad they can screw up my schedule) down at Sno Isle, so that should help a bit.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Hey again folks!

Little project for the day - cleaned out the rest of the rain gutters. Should have a lot less leaks, if any. Also cleaned out the trunk area. Before, it was covered in dirt and sticky pine needles. Cleaned underneath the weather stripping as well. Looking pretty good! Can't wait to get the surface rust fixed and all of the scratches and dings out!

Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Looks good! Auto body is what I do for a living, school is a good starting point, teaches the basics. There's always Lake Wa Tech in Kirkland that's not bad as well, but like I said, teaches the BASICS
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

I did a thing.

It's not completely back together, obviously. The bumper is just floating at the moment, but it lines up pretty well up front. Actually quite surprised. Looks kind of wide in the photo because my corners kept on falling off when I'd move the bumper, but it looks like it should be pretty easy to fit it to the fenders.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Good luck with that! It'll look nice if it fits.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227