broken bolts in caliper

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

TurboLegacy
First Gear

broken bolts in caliper

Post by TurboLegacy »

i was trying to replace my brakes. i broke the top of the bolt that holds the caliper on. its the bottom one. how do you suggest i get the rest of the bolt out?
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

PB Blaster and an easy-out.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Did it break clean off, or is it just rounded badly? If the head is still there in some form you may be able to use a bolt extractor (the kind with left-handed flutes that grip the head).

Is this the bolt holding the caliper to the bracket, or the bolt holding the bracket to the hub? If it's the former, you can remove the caliper-and-bracket assembly from the hub and worry about this in the comfort of your home with the caliper on a table.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

i assume its one of the two bolts holding the caliper onto the bracket
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels