4EAT no power mode?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Manarius
Fourth Gear

4EAT no power mode?

Post by Manarius »

Tristan and I were discussing my '91's AT. I said it has a power mode, he said it doesn't. I'm going to quote my owner's manual and we can discuss this.
Vehicles with an electronically controlled fully-automatic transmission automatically choose one of the two drive modes when the selector is in "D", "3", and "2" position, depending on how quickly accelerator pedal is depressed. These modes are the "normal" mode for regular driving and the "power" mode for driving up hill or rapid acceleration. When in the "power" mode, the power indicator light will come on. It will go off when the vehicle automatically returns to the "normal" mode.
Another quick question: Is there some way to make my shifts smoother? The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are awfully rocky. But, it's random though.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Tristan doesn't know what he's talking about.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Re: 4EAT no power mode?

Post by Tleg93 »

Manarius wrote:Tristan and I were discussing my '91's AT. I said it has a power mode, he said it doesn't. I'm going to quote my owner's manual and we can discuss this.
Vehicles with an electronically controlled fully-automatic transmission automatically choose one of the two drive modes when the selector is in "D", "3", and "2" position, depending on how quickly accelerator pedal is depressed. These modes are the "normal" mode for regular driving and the "power" mode for driving up hill or rapid acceleration. When in the "power" mode, the power indicator light will come on. It will go off when the vehicle automatically returns to the "normal" mode.
Another quick question: Is there some way to make my shifts smoother? The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are awfully rocky. But, it's random though.
I have that problem sometimes too. Have you changed your filter and fluid every 30k?
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Re: 4EAT no power mode?

Post by Manarius »

creel wrote:I have that problem sometimes too. Have you changed your filter and fluid every 30k?
I don't know if the filter was changed, and I know that the fluid hasn't been out for a while. I would do that, except that it's random. Sometimes the shifts are rocky, other times they aren't. If it were a fluid or filter problem, I think it would be more regular.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I see, but it wouldn't hurt to change it anyway if it's due.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Do all gen1 4EAT legacys have the power mode?
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I believe so.

my '91 SS has it, and my old '94 L had it, too.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

subawhatsubawho wrote:Do all gen1 4EAT legacys have the power mode?
yes
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Saskatchewan Subie
In Neutral

power mode

Post by Saskatchewan Subie »

Hey guys...just wondering if anyone knows if there's a way to manually override the computer so that the car is always in power mode?
93 Legacy Turbo 4AT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Not really.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

What if you grounded the TCU's TPS input? That ought to make the TCU think you floored the pedal as soon as the car turned on, and that you never ever let go.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

vrg3 wrote:What if you grounded the TCU's TPS input? That ought to make the TCU think you floored the pedal as soon as the car turned on, and that you never ever let go.
Wouldn't that screw with how it mixes the air and fuel for combustion? You'd have power all the time, but the gas mileage would be..umm..well...not worth mentioning.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You have to do it at the TCU's TPS signal, not the ECU.

However, I would gander to say that would probably be equivalent to just unplugging the dropping resistor.....and having done that for a while, I don't recommend it. The tranny was never the same afterwards.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jimmai
In Neutral

Post by jimmai »

Hey there,i have a BG legacy and wondered if its the same trans as your older models. mine has a power button on the shifter like an OD button. it locks the trans in power mode until you turn if off.
makes the auto almost tolerable!

just thought i'd add my 2 cents
2.2 BG Wagon, Mighty Hiace Van, Even Mightier KX250
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

On the 4eat I drive, the power light means nothing more than
that the computer has dropped the tranny down a gear. It
is programmed to do it when it wants to, not when you want
to have it shift. On the shifter there is a button that when pushed it goes into "manual" as the dash light indicates. This
as the owners manual states holds 2nd when starting from
a stop on ice or snow when you might not want to break
traction.

Etcetera when the shifter is in 3rd.
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
jimmai
In Neutral

Post by jimmai »

The power button on the shifter makes the power light on the dash come on and stay on and this causes the trans to hold gears much longer and kickdown much easier. makes it feel much more resposive.

The manual button on the shifter you refer to is the snow hold button on my centre console, marked with a snowflake, when on it lights a snow flake on my dash and starts the trans in second regardless of shifter position.

I forgot to add that my car is a JDM model, BG7 or brighton model, but from what ive seen its the common setup for the JDM 94+ models.

Funny how my BG is a 1994, yet you guys in the US seem to still have the older shape in 94.
2.2 BG Wagon, Mighty Hiace Van, Even Mightier KX250