Frozenrotors.com/diversified cryogenics...excellent!

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

czo79
Second Gear

Frozenrotors.com/diversified cryogenics...excellent!

Post by czo79 »

Hello all...
I just have to rave about frozenrotors.com! They are so awesome! I just got some of their cryo rotors for my 97GT. They kick ass, look great, perform great, and I expect them to last a long time. I ordered online, and their appeared to be a little website problem, and the site quoted me a shipping price for 2 day that was cheaper (barely) then 3 day and not much more than ground. Anyways, I got a confirm email that said I was getting ground shipping. I was in a real hurry cause I needed brakes on my daily driver now...and had made a tough choice to purchase there instead of paul eklund/primitive enterprises, largely based on the cheap quick shipping. So I sent a email off explaining this and asking if I could get the 3 day instead of the really expensive 2 day. I couldn't get the website to give me the cheap quote again, the problem seemed solved. Anyways...to cut a long story short, the next morning I return home, I hadn't even recieved an email reply yet, and I find the box of rotors on my doorstep, delivered overnight from halfway across the country by DHL. Based on my email, and my word about the website price, since it couldn't be duplicated, and my hurry, they overnighted the rotors for the basic ground shipping price. I think that was a kick ass way to make good, above and beyond. I guess its just rare to see good service like that these days. So I highly recomend them!
I need to write them a thank you note.
Micum

PS: On another note, I ordered wires from magnecor today. Custom made to fit 01rs engine and 97 legacy GT diamond coilpack, and they will be shipped within a day or two, no increase in price over stock. Very nice.
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

how much were the rotors?
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Expensive...
216$ for a pair. 236$ shipped ground. They slot rotors for 45$ and nickel plate for 35$ each. I'm glad I didn't learn that till now, it would have been a temptation.
At primitive, the slotted cryo treated brembos were 259$ shipped ground.
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I have cryo rotors on my front, too, and they are incredible! Four years and no problems as opposed to the 6 mos. I was lucky to make on standard rotors. The centers didn't even rust as quickly. I never expected that big a difference. Acn't remember for the life of me where I got them from, though I think it was frozenrotors.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

cyro'd rotors are simply awesome.....i've been nothing but happy with mine.

Some tool on nabisco said that cryo treating doesn't do much to gray cast iron, and it's been discussed a lot.......I can't say I've researched it thoroughly, but I do know how I drive, and I do know from first hand experience my rotors are in excellent shape for the way I drive and the pads I have......I'll stick to cryo-treated.

if i have time....I'll find the research to back up my claims....if not....screw him.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

They're not cheap, but in the long run they more than pay for themselves by outlasting several regular pairs, plus there's the labor to consider and brakes that aren't as trustworthy to factor in.

2 geek thumbs up!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There really not that more expensive if you know where to go. In my case, the costly part was the shipping. I sent my rotors to www.onecryo.com $20 or $25 to do each rotor......which was the cheapest place I found anywhere.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

If I had the luxury of time, I would have gone with onecryo, and picked my own rotors of choice and sent them over...but I was in a real hurry, which led to another big factor in my decision, shipping time and price.
I just was really impressed with frozenrotors service, I imagine they took a decent hit to overnight the rotors to me...

So guys, speaking of cryo treating, I noticed some of these companys that do custom cryo treating have prepared price lists of absolutely every automotive part and they cryo treat them all. I'm wondering how much good it would do in many applications. For instance, might cryo treating a subaru 5mt tranny casing, potentially help somewhat in preventing case flex, which some say contributes a lot to killing the 5mt. Maybe the input shaft too...and what about engine blocks, and other engine internals?
thanks
Micum

:P
If you mods want to jump on me, this might not be the most appropriate forum for these questions, but it kinda just came up for me...sorry.
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cryo-treating does really work....it helps if you have an understanding of the material structure.....There were some links I posted in that thread on nabisco

http://www.metal-wear.com/Brakes.htm
http://www.gearsolutionsonline.com/arti ... w0503.html
http://www.ductile.org/magazine/2000_1/cryogenic.htm

orig thread
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... id=5729042
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

From my meager understanding of metallurgy, I have to say that most of the explanations of cryo treatment that I read don't seem to actually say anything. Most read just like any generic description of heat treatment of steel. But I guess that's what cryo treatment really is -- just a very thorough heat treatment. Basically, the metal is hardened much more intensely before annealing than usual. ...Right? :)

In my experience I have found that cryo-treated brake rotors work very well. I'm very happy with mine. The ceramic pads that are supposed to eat through rotors seem to be just performing very well. I can't say whether the treatment improved, hurt, or didn't affect the performance of the rotors, but by comparing them to others with similar setups I can definitely say they seem to be wearing more slowly. Of course I'm wary of the placebo effect and the "I just spend $120 on this so it must be good" effect, but it really does seem to have helped.

I had Alpine Cryogenics in Moosic, PA do my rotors. They charged me $30 per rotor if I remember correctly. I dropped them off in person and they shipped them back to me in NY (shipping was actually less than sales tax plus fuel would have been to pick them up).

Incidentally, I did also exchange some emails with Bill Bryson, author of Cryogenics (http://www.book.nu/1569902747) and owner of Advisor in Metals (http://www.worldpath.net/~hisaim/), a metal treatment facility in New Hampshire. He actually told me he wouldn't treat brake rotors no matter how much a customer wanted it done. One of the effects of the cryogenic treatment is a smoothing of the surfaces of the treated object. This reduces abrasive friction. Apparently he's been called as an expert witness in some court cases which ended in big settlements against cryo treatment companies. He did mention a potential way of counteracting the smoothing might be to turn the rotors on a lathe after treatment, but it hasn't been proven.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I didn't notice a difference with mine as far as stopping, only resiliancy. The brakes do seem to fade at high speeds more than I'd expect with the EBC pads (which bite amazingly in when cold). It's likely I could really just use the brakes bled. Good resource, though, vrg3. I can maybe drop a transmission off to this guy when the time comes.

Steve
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah cryo-treating is really just a quenching process that affects the grain boundary and type of metal crystalline structure.

I was aware of the smoothing affect when I had mine done. I sort of can feel it compared to some of my past rotors, however my brakes work very well. Plus most performance pads put down a layer of pad material on the rotor which improves friction coefficients. Cutting the rotor might work....it may rough it up, but still may not be as rough in comparison to a non-treated rotor that is cut.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

yeah cryo-treating is really just a quenching process that affects the grain boundary and type of metal crystalline structure.
See, now you're doing it! :) Most all heat treatment includes a quenching process, and the point of heat treatment is the change grain size and lattice structure.

I would think the effect of the smoothing would depend a lot on the pad you use. If your pad relies more on abrasive friction than on adherent friction. And, like you say, most performance pads are meant to provide adherent friction.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

See, now you're doing it! Most all heat treatment includes a quenching process, and the point of heat treatment is the change grain size and lattice structure.
If you want to get technical, cryotreating is the opposite.....quenching, and then an anealing process follows to put ductility and toughness back into the rotor.

I really didn't mind my Material science course in college. it wasn't the greatest, but I did learn stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

TheShocker
Vendor
Vendor

Post by TheShocker »

Frozen Rotors / Diversified Cryogenics is RIGHT by me...
05 Jeep Liberty CRD turbo diesel
91 Mazda Miata
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 5MT
89 Honda CRX Si turbo
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

cryo-treating - thumbs up

I warped the rotors on 4 different Subarus. Every time I ever had the rotors turned, the warping came back. Then I got frozen rotors on my RS, and they've been awesome for over a year. It's so nice to get smooth, unwarped breaking performance.

I would definitely make the investment the next time your rotors need replacing.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com