How I bought my Legacy, 1989 (kind of long)

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacypusher
First Gear

How I bought my Legacy, 1989 (kind of long)

Post by Legacypusher »

When I lived in Atlanta, I had a very wealthy friend who bought several cars a year. They were one of his hobbies; BMW’s, Mercedes, Porsches, Nissan Z’s, VW campers, etc. He just loved cars, and he had to have the latest new ride. I was lucky enough to get to accompany him on quite a few of his purchases, (and to get to drive the cars from time to time) and I learned a lot about buying cars from him. Most of us buy a new car every few years, if that often, and the salesmen/women and sales managers do their thing every day, so we buyers are at a distinct disadvantage. Brad, my friend, loved nothing more than a good deal, and was a tough negotiator. Like so many wealthy people, he pinched every penny. I watched, listened, and learned.

I had seen the new Legacy wagon at the Atlanta Auto Show in April, 1989, and decided that it would work for me--I needed the cargo capacity, thought that it looked really good, so I started shopping in November. At the time, I was driving an ’83 VW GTI, which I loved, and was a real “pocket rocket” for those days, but it just wouldn’t haul enough of my art work when I had to drive to shows. I went to a VW/Subaru dealer and started the negotiations. My approach from the first minute was an “out the door” price. I stressed to the salesman that my offer was for “out the door, taxes included” no bullshit extra charges, and he agreed.

He played the “I’ll have to run this by my sales manager” game with me, hoping to keep me sitting in his little cubicle/office for an hour or more while he had coffee and chatted about sports and the weather with his boss, but I just went outside and strolled among the new and used cars, checking out the inventory. I had researched the dealer invoice, so I knew what the car cost them, and I offered them a small profit (hey, they have to make a little money to stay in business, but not a lot from me) and we went around and around. I kept stressing that I would write a check for an “out the door” price. He made an offer on my trade, which I approved, but I kept low-balling him, telling him I knew what the car cost him, and I wasn’t going to pay a premium.

Another “I’ll have to run this by my sales manager,” and another trip to the lot for me to look at the inventory while he again tried to make me cool my jets in his little cubicle. I liked the fresh air and looking at cars I couldn’t afford. He finally came back and said, “You are one lucky guy. My boss really wants to win some Super Bowl tickets by moving some cars, so we will take your offer.” Cool. Deal done.

Well, not quite. When I pulled out my checkbook, his total and mine did not agree. Seems he was adding about $200 for “dealer service and filing fees” and “title and registration fees.” I said, “What is this bullshit?“ He said, “It’s pre-printed on the form, you have to pay it.“ Yeah, right! I told him that I would be happy to type up the papers myself for $200, and that ALL of my negotiations had been based on the “out the door” price, NO add-ons. He could not argue, and was really pissed. In short, I paid $13,102 for a $14,907 MSRP Legacy L. The salesman had to up the credit for my trade to make up the $200 or so on the paperwork, and was really glad to get me out the door. With the wagon. He did say, as I left, “Man, you are really, really good.” I replied that I had been fortunate enough to have had a little experience in buying cars.

I have since bought several new cars for friends, and I have saved them a lot of money. I really enjoy the experience. When you are just an observer/agent, you can really be objective and enjoy pushing the deal. When you have no personal stake in the transaction, other than saving a friend some serious cash, and you are not in love with the car, it really is fun to deal with these guys and watch’em squirm when you go in there prepared with invoice prices and holdback numbers. They hate informed consumers. I had one saleswoman ask me if we were going to be “friends” when I shopped for another friend‘s Toyota 4-Runner. I replied, “I have plenty of friends. I’m here for a great deal on a car.” I was handed off to a male salesman in about a minute. Hmm. And I got my friend a great deal on the car.

In 2003, I helped a friend buy a new VW Beetle for his daughter, and the dealer had over $3,000 of “dealer prep, extra dealer markup, etc.”, and other crap tacked on over the MSRP, and I told the salesman that I wouldn’t even pay attention to that crap, it was just telling your customers how much you are screwing them. He said, “No problem, our sales manger tells us to put that on. Some people pay it.” Damned fools. Then I offered him $750 over invoice and he took it. Buyers beware out there. My friend, an orthopedic surgeon who is used to getting the “doctor’s discount” was very pleased. They had quoted him over $2000 more for the same car when he looked at it in person. He bought me a nice steak dinner after that deal.

The easiest deal I have ever done was with a BMW dealer when I helped my sweetie buy her new 2000 323i. The salesman was great, offered me a price under MSRP up front when we first negotiated over the phone. No BS dealer charges, and I talked him down to around $1000 over invoice. And that is still one sweet driving car, 5MT, over 70,000 miles and it still feels like is was machined out of a single billet of steel. Solid cars, those BMW’s.

Anyway, that’s my story, and I’m still driving the Subaru. Best car I’ve ever owned, and it still looks good.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Oops. I did not include the sales taxes with $13,102 figure. Out the door was $13,669.49. I still have the sales contract.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

I bought both of mine from people on ebay.
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

How did the ebay deals go? Did you get good deals and good cars? I have surfed around and watched some auctions, but never have bid on a vehicle. Most are located way too far from me. Just curious.
Don

subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

The first legacy I ever bought I got from the Salvation army for $700 and it was a great car.

The second legacy (90 black 5MT BJ) I bought from a guy in the new england area for $120.00. I flew from FL to Allen town, PA where he picked me up at the airport and drove me to the car. I went to give him the money and he said to just give him $100. I slapped my tag on and I was off. Got gas in PA and made it pretty far. I arrived home that saturday night with not a single problem.

The 3rd legacy (93 winestone 4EAT sedan) I bought from a guy in AL for $200.00. He said the tranny made a funny noise so I had it transported to my home for $368.00 and it took 2 days to get here once I placed the order to have it delivered. Once here I took it for a drive and realized the tranny was shot. Found one with less than 100K on it localy for $400 and paid $300 to have it installed.

I am selling the BLack BJ in the parts shed. I have put some work into it so I am selling it for more than I payed.

I will also be buying more legacys from ebay when I get the chance.