One hell of a weekend installing the WRX TMIC

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

One hell of a weekend installing the WRX TMIC

Post by gt2.5turbo »

SO its in.

I started on Friday after my classes after having the ic adorn my room for about 3 weeks. The first day not so bad pulled the intake box, all the essential hoses and fittings, did some minor pounding and a few test fits to see what else was keeping me from fitting the thing in there. The AC line was a differnet story however BUT what actually seems to be working really well is i rerouted it under the dog bone (stablization piece from engine to firewall) and it pulled it down enough outa the way that the IC still hit the top of the hood but just barely. (by the way I own a 93 wagon so i have a 4EAT) but by this time it was bout 630 and the bugs at my friends house were horrible so i called it a day.

Day two..... after a slow start (recovering from the night before) at 230 got the adapter plate (the one from the hardware store parts that Vrg3 suggested) all JBwelded up and reran new coolent lines and then the bbq started and didnt end till i couldnt see strait (got to love college).

Day three was the kicker. I got the thing to fit in nicely and after 3 trips to the autostore and a tour of the back room of NAPA resulted in having it all plumbed and kink free and i mean not a kink anywhere ( which was the happiest moment of the whole project). but the buggs got even worse from the other night and i had lost the two bolts to mount the bov adapter plate and stared dropping things through the engine bay so unhappily i called it a night.

So after a long day of classes today i finally got the DV plumbed, all the hoses reran, MBC put in, everything put back together and then decided i didnt like the DV plumbing so i took it out only to drop it and break off the nipple on the top..... SO it was back to the store for some superglue and about 2 hours later she was running and i cant tell you how much i loved that "I just finished victory beer."
* Pics soon*

There is one thing that concerns me however:

Before the ic i had the Coffee cup mod, and had taken out the snorkel. And with this set up when ever i was just getting outa boost and entering vaccum (2000-2500 rpms) i would hear a low growl coming from what sounded like my air box. Is this normal? because now when it approches this range or only sometimes when it "blows off" it make this sorta Farting / thump sound and i didnt mind the growl before but now its just horrible sounding and i dont know if maybe its because of the longer DV plumbing or if there is a diaphram in the DV that migh have busted pre or post drop? but it needs to be fixed cause its almost approching "ridiculous sounding"
mhrallyteam
First Gear

Post by mhrallyteam »

Like mine, you`re IC is touching the firewall when the engine is moving under power, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
92 l swapped to ej22T with 2.0T shortblock
4.111 manual 2.5RS tranny, sti eng mount, wrx I/C, MBC, WRX turboback exhaust, WRX front seats, STI rad cap, WRX specR1 struts, Eibach springs , leg turbo front brake, WRX rear brake.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I just got mine in (thanks Vikash and Phil!) and it's a lot louder now too. I also put the coffee cup mod in at the same time, so I have double the increased noise. Mine however isn't too loud, it's just right. The car sounds very aggressive now with a nice rumble, without being annoying. I love it.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

mhrallyteam wrote:Like mine, you`re IC is touching the firewall when the engine is moving under power, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
I think Gp. N engine and tranny mounts are the solution to this.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

but it is only when i back off the throttle not get on it and right when i keep the car right under 0psi on my gauge. So where i used to hear a wooooshhh i get a sorta farting / thump sound when backing off throttle and the same thing is happening when i hold it jsut outa boost 2k-2.5k.
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Just wondering where you guys moved your ignitor to?
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

mine is just to the drivers side under my ic in the maze of hoses that occupies the space as well.

oh another thought... when i routed my DV piping i actually came around to the drivers side and then under the ic up to the nipple, could the extra piping be affecting it?
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Mine is mounted to the side of the OEM location. The bracket is bent so that it sits down deep in the driverside.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Driver's side, eh? Mine's sitting on the passenger side of that little protrusion from the firewall, and I'm wondering if its too close to the turbo.

I may move it...
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Yeah, I'd think the other side (driverside) would be much better.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

yeah with the whole heat vs electical effieciency thing
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I made an extension harness and mounted mine on the rear of the passenger side strut tower.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I've been meaning to ask you about that Vikash. Did you just extend the existing wires, or is yours plug and play? If its the 2nd one, where'd you get the connectors?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Plug and play, of course.

I cut the harness connector off a junkyard car and then cannibalized an ignitor for the other side.

Actually, Matt (legacy92ej22t) has a broken ignitor in his carport that would be an ideal candidate for cannibalization.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I wouldn't expect any less from you :)

I may look into doing that then, as the driver's side of the pitch mount is horribly crowded already.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Wait, I thought we mounted yours to the engine block, Matt. Didn't we?
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

gt2.5turbo wrote:but it is only when i back off the throttle not get on it and right when i keep the car right under 0psi on my gauge. So where i used to hear a wooooshhh i get a sorta farting / thump sound when backing off throttle and the same thing is happening when i hold it jsut outa boost 2k-2.5k.
could this be turbo chatter!? "wastegate chatter" from when the boost goes back out the turbo like the WRC cars, it makes sort of a farting sound that sounds kinda cool(on WRC cars atleast), could be an unfuctional BOV since WRC cars dont run BOV or DV's which is the cause for the chatter. (it can damage the turbo though)
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

vrg3 wrote:Wait, I thought we mounted yours to the engine block, Matt. Didn't we?
No, we ended up using that diamond ignitor with the different bracket and I mounted it in the same spot as before, only it sits much lower now. Remember?
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, right. Cool.

That's where we ended up putting Sam's, too. I gotta get those pictures up...