Moderator: Moderators

LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Once and For all

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Here's how the models of cars go.
In 1990:
STD: The Standard legacy was a stripped down car, came with black(unpainted bumpers), no trim panels on the wagon(like the strip that goes across the back of the wagons), a black trim panel on the trunklid of the sedan, had power nothing, no ac, a crappy, less attractive dash and was dirt cheap. Options included Power steering, power brakes, a rear window defroster, and 14" steelies. I'm not sure the STD wagon even had a rear wiper. It seems that this car didn't even come with a radio, or with optional awd. Interesting
L: next step from base. Came with power accessories, but I think never had sunroofs or anything cool. Had very comfortable velour seats(at least the grey interior ones)
L+: I know very little about these, but I believe it's very similar to the L package, just a tad nicer... L+ package meant that cruise, 80w radio, and A/C as standard instead of optional
LS:A step up from the L and the top model of the year, I believe this one had a moonroof. IIRC, the 90 LS had a power antenna, mounted on the right quarter panel, instead of one coming out of the a-pillar. There was an optional air ride suspension available for this model if it came with a 4eat(4 speed electronic automatic transmission... the only automatic available in the legacy)

In 1991:
L: 91's base model. Came with power accessories, but I think never had sunroofs or anything cool. Had very comfortable velour seats(at least the grey interior ones)
LS:A step up from the L, I believe this one had a sunroof
LSi: Had a leather interior, more or less loaded
Turbo: The 91 turbo legacy only came in sedan trim, came with an upgraded transmission, different gear ratio, different interior options, and was called the SPORT SEDAN. Now I want to make it abundantly clear that the only legacy subaru has ever called a sport sedan is TURBO. The only legacy in the US ever to come with an LSD was this car.

In 1992:
L: The base model. Came with power accessories, but I think never had sunroofs or anything cool. Had very comfortable velour seats(at least the grey interior ones)
Turbo: Finally, subaru began releasing the turbo legacy in a wagon trim level, marketed as the "touring wagon." The Touring Wagon (for this generation) is a TURBO ONLY model distinction. This turbo wagon was more or less the same as the sport sedan, except it was a wagon. The turbo wagon was also only released with an automatic transmissio. There was also a turbo sedan available, there were several things that make the 91 sedans mechanically superior to the 92 and up turbos.
In 1993:
L: The base model. Came with power accessories, but I think never had sunroofs or anything cool. Had very comfortable velour seats(at least the grey interior ones)
Turbo: Turbo wagon and sedans available. I believe airbags came standard as well.

In 1994:
Turbo: Turbo wagon and sedans available. I believe airbags came standard as well.
GT: In 94 there was a GT wagon available. It was a naturally aspirated wagon, with a raised roof(only 90-94 legacy to have a raised roof in the US), and came fully loaded. Also one of the only legacys to come from the factory with "body" or "lip" kit that went all the way around the car, it also had a bit of a "duckbill" wing. Oddly Enough, the 94 GT did not have a power antenna, which the top 2 models of each year usually sport
Crazy Experimental Cars Included the GX, Mi, and Ti, to the best of my knowledge, these were only available as wagons, feel free to correct me.
GX: Sunsport. I have no idea what made this special, except it came with the rare sideskirts and wagon wing
Mi: Alpine Sport. I believe this came with heated seats, and also had a special(very early 90's) pinstripe that read "Alpine Sport"
I saw one of these the other day, and the pinstripe did not appear to be there, it's possible that it was involved in a collision, and the pinstripe was never replaced though. This model did not have a power antenna(it had the pull out one on the driver's side a-pillar), appeared to have 14" wheels, but had the body-matched grille, it's possible that this also was replaced as a result of a crash, or the special editions could have had body matched grilles.
Ti: Outdoor Sport. This came with air suspension, and I believe heated seats. Came with the rare sideskirts and read wagon wing

If you have any other things to add, post them and I'll update. thanks
Last edited by LaureltheQueen on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.
jake15
Fourth Gear

Re: Once and For all

Post by jake15 »

LaureltheQueen wrote: In 1990:
STD: the Standard legacy was a stripped down car, came with black(unpainted bumpers), no trim panels(like the strip that goes across the back of the wagons) and was dirt cheap
they did come with trim panels, they were just black on the wagon. and they had manual windows and no a/c, and a really cheap loyale-ish interior
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

That's not entirely correct, as all of the STD wagons i've seen(could have been 1 that I saw 3 times) had no red plastic reflector strip across the back, just had a "std" badge where the regular badge would sit.
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The STD came with no radio. Instead it had a blanking plate that said "SUBARU" on it, and a 1.5-DIN pocket.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

The few wagons that i've seen have all had a black plastic piece that goes where the red reflective piece goes (just like the red piece, but bumper-like unpainted plastic in appearance) but it could have been an option or people just put the red ones on and painted them.....
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

There were 90 LSi's?

I mean, there could be, SOA doesn't know anymore than we do, but every 90 brochure I've seen has nothing LSi in it.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

My 91 LS wagon had a sunroof. Not sure if it was an option or standard equipment though, as I bought it used.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Umm..you didn't differ between '91 L's and '91 L+'s. L+'s have 80w radio, and some other goodies..
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

The strip on the STD trunk is gray, like the strips on the top of the tail lights. I thought that all first gen Legacys had power steering standard. I dont think any L's have velour interior. No First gen Legacys had sunroofs, they were all moonroofs. There was no LSi in 90, and no leather in 90. Air suspension was an option on 90 LS Wagons with a 4eat, also on every other year LS and LSi I believe. The other specialty wagons for 94 are, Mi, Ti, and GX. Mi is the Alpine Sport Wagon, Ti is the Outdoor Sport Wagon, GX is the Sunsport. GT, GX, and Ti all came with the sideskirts and rear spoiler. There are a bunch of extra things the specialty wagons came with.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Manarius wrote:Umm..you didn't differ between '91 L's and '91 L+'s. L+'s have 80w radio, and some other goodies..
I don't know enough about the model distinction between them, do you have some information that you could share?
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

All of the 94 Specialty wagons (GT, GX, Mi, Ti) are Legacy L wagons that come with AC, cruise, and 80 watt radio/cassette/eq standard.

GT gets special Alloy wheels, body colored door handles and mirrors, turbo bumper, CD player, rear swaybar, ABS and most importantly, it's the only BF chassis to ever be sold in the US.

GX gets special alloy wheels, body colored grill, turbo bumper, Black window frames and door handles, moonroof, CD player, power antenna, luggage rack with bike attachment, rear swaybar, and graphics on the sides.

Mi gets special Alloy wheels, body colored grill, front and rear splash guards, Black window frames and door handles, heated seats and mirrors, CD player, rear cargo mat, luggage rack with ski attachment, rear swaybar, engine heater, skidplate, graphics on the sides, and ABS.

Ti gets body colored grill, front and rear splash guards, Black window frames and door handles, passanger seat undertray, rear cargo net, rear cargo mat, luggage rack with bike attachment, air suspension, rear swaybar, skidplate and graphics on the sides.

Also they don't get wings, just the rear spoiler (black bit that goes around the bumper), symantics.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

LaureltheQueen wrote:
Manarius wrote:Umm..you didn't differ between '91 L's and '91 L+'s. L+'s have 80w radio, and some other goodies..
I don't know enough about the model distinction between them, do you have some information that you could share?
I believe (at least the 90 brochure says anyway) the L+ package meant that cruise, 80w radio, and A/C as standard instead of optional.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

I almost positive the sun sports were fwd only.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
Suzie-Q
First Gear

Post by Suzie-Q »

91 Mica Ruby Pearl L Sedan[color=#800000][/color]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

the 90-91 L cars had rear swaybars and the awd automatics had the 4.11 gearing.
the 92-94 L's dropped the rear swaybar and the awd automatics went to 3.9 gears.

In 92 the strut/spring combination changed, although the changes to the actual specifications was slight; the later cars being better damped. In 93 the design of the rear lateral links changed along with the style of endlinks.

All LS, LSi, specialty, and turbo models have a height adjustable seat and a cloth roof liner, the lesser models have a fixed height seat and a plastic roof liner.

intermittant wipers was an option on the 90-91 L, iirc.

Only the 91 turbo has an oil cooler and a limited slip differential. It is believed that an LSD was an option in 90-91, but it's rare or something.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

scottzg wrote:Only the 91 turbo has an oil cooler and a limited slip differential. It is believed that an LSD was an option in 90-91, but it's rare or something.
I can tell you from looking at the parts book, the LSD was only available on the 91 turbo, and was not an option any other model.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

1991 L+ Models have 80w Radio, Cruise Control, and A/C. My L+ does not have Adjustable Intermittent Wipers, I believe that is an LSi thing only. L+'s also have black mirrors, chrome door handles and are labelled on the back as "L", but the distinction is noticeable. '91's L's also have plastic roof, no height adjustment on the seat, and cloth seats. And yes, my 91 has a rear sway bar.

My '91 has 4.11 gears, as I found out two days ago when I ripped off the rear rotors...
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Does the 91 gear ration of 4:11 go for awd mt wagons??

Where did you see this when you took off your rear rotors?
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

All the 91's (except for the turbos) had 4.111 final drive ratios. Look on your rear differential cover.
Last edited by Legacy777 on Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Except the turbos.

def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

The Alpine Sport Stripe/stickers came in the back of vehicles when delivered from the ports for the dealer to install. The one I prepped for the lot was in No Way getting those stickers on the car! It turned out it was sold in the next day or so and the customer was glad not to have the stripe kit on it.