Cheap FCD

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

Hay Ivano, long time no see. could you just ask Nuwan gives me a call on Monday night @ this # 416-804-3130
I would like to have one on my car. My engine has little problem so thats why I haven't enter any TSD this year yet, but after it fixed I will back for it with you guys. I am for sure to the Rally-X this year too, hope to see you there too.
Thanks for your connection to Nuwan.

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

Okay, don't know if anyone reads this post anymore, but here goes:

After spending a couple of days shopping around at the local crappy tire, home depot and building box, the closest thing i could find was a checkvalve at 0psi... since i'd rather have closer fuel mix, i ended up picking up a turbosmart FCD, which is supposed to vent whatever amount of psi you want before the map.

When i put it in the same place as Morgie's first picture, with one full crank of the screw i'm not getting fuel cut, but then again, it seems like pressure is down about 2 psi. Does this make any sense? I know, it's only been a few hours so i might have turned it too much, but at the same time, the boost controller works by turning the screw one full turn to get 1psi extra.

Could it be that i'm bleeding soo much air out of this valve, that i've actually reduced pressure in the manifold???

on the same manifold pressure line, i have my boost tap and the T from the charcoal canister.

meh, any thoughts are appreciated, but i assume that it's probably my mistake. I should know in a bit.
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You can build a relief valve yourself out of a few dollars' worth of stuff from a hardware store or even Home Depot. It's basically the same construction as a ball-and-spring boost controller, except a little easier.

Did you put a restrictor before the FCD? Maybe you need to.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

A restrictor before the FCD???
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah. We're talking about pneumatic FCDs here, remember. They work by bleeding pressure away from the pressure sensor. The restrictor will help decouple the FCD/sensor from the rest of the system.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

so wait, you think that i could be right about too much air escaping? and that i need to restrict how much is reaching the fcd and then in the being let out? i'll give it a try and let you know.

Vikash i know you've got the design for the electric one, but i'm so freaking nervous of doing wiring that talks to the ecu, i'd rather stick with mechanical.

i honestly don't get why it doesn't work, looks exactly the same in prinicple to Morgie's... wait...

i just looked a little closer at Morgies picture... he still has his stock boost controller hooked up...

why? i thought he was running an MBC?

okay now i'm wondering if i missed something with the dsbc i have installed.

lol.

i'm sick, tired and cranky. i hate when things don't work right damnit.
James L

-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

alright, turns out the one from turbosmart doesn't work... the way i understand it, it just vents at all times, not once you reach stock cut off point.

Ran into Nuwan and snagged one of his mechanical ones.
1. vents only just before stock cut off
2. is a hell of a lot smaller and less showy looking.

Works perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
James L

-
gc835
In Neutral

Post by gc835 »

i have a spare mbc sitting around, could i use this as the fcd? what sort of restrictor would you use inline b4 the fcd?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, you could use the spare MBC this way. You just need a tee and the restrictor.

Since you're not using factory boost control, Maybe you could use the stock hose that goes between the boost control solenoid and the intake resonator. It has a 2mm restrictor in it already.
gc835
In Neutral

Post by gc835 »

well right now the factory boost controll is still inuse im running stock boost. but with my dp and snorkus removal i hit fuel cut off sometimes. how would i connect both the fcd and a mbc?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

There's something else wrong... a downpipe and snorkusectomy shouldn't be able to cause you to overboost. I think you should try to figure that out -- you may be experiencing fuel cut for a different reason, or it may be misfire.

A pneumatic FCD and an MBC get hooked up to completely different parts, so there should be no issue with connecting both.
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

vrg3 wrote:Yes, you could use the spare MBC this way. You just need a tee and the restrictor.

Since you're not using factory boost control, Maybe you could use the stock hose that goes between the boost control solenoid and the intake resonator. It has a 2mm restrictor in it already.
reading through this whole thread i was going to suggest using that restrictor, has anyone done this?

i plan on using an MBC to control boost, and an MBC before the MAP sensor, the restrictor would go BEFORE this MBC? and what is this other T needed for?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Code: Select all

Manifold----Restrictor----Tee--------PressureExchangeSolenoid
                           |
                           |
                   Ball-and-SpringMBC
                           |
                           |
                       Atmosphere
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

ah i see, with boost gauge T between the mani and the restrictor.
thanks
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, maybe. If it were me I'd put my boost gauge somewhere else though to be safe.
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

what other vac line would work? not the purge one, usually not the compressor one though that would work.

the pressure exchange solenoid is the one on top right? i thought that was the name for the little black solenoid. or am i missing something...
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You could tap into the line going to the brake booster, or to the BOV, or to the FPR. I'd probably pick the brake booster. http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/vacuum/

The pressure exchange solenoid is what that hose connects to.
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/chrysler_map/
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

ok thanks for the clarification!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

The picture links aren't working anymore.

Does the T and check valve go in between the #1 intake manifold runner and the pressure exchange solenoid?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

yeah +1

i need one of these now :o
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, I believe that is where he had it. Close to the solenoid.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Ok easy. Thanks Vik.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

None of the pictures work anymore, does anyone have some that do? I just put in my TMIC and TD04 and I'm really sick of hitting fuel cut on Full throttle runs so I'd like to try this method.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

napa check valve for 5 bucks gets me 14lbs of awesome in my WOD
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

SubaruNation wrote:napa check valve for 5 bucks gets me 14lbs of awesome in my WOD
Do you have a parts # for that, or maybe a little more detail? I'd still love to see some pics too.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built