Fiberglass Parts NEW news*(Update 06/15/2005)*

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

Fiberglass Parts NEW news*(Update 06/15/2005)*

Post by David Carter »

i will continue to post updates to the mailing list..as well as here on the BBS.

Good News: Nothing, no checks or interest....setting everything up before i leave.

Bad News:Nothing new, we still need 1 or 2 persons to continue production of the RS style bumper. i can not eat that much loss so i will wait untill we get more interest/money.

other wise here are the stats:

As of (10/07/02)

So far:
90-91 T Hood with scoop and vents:

Sam & Beth Barrett: GO-GO *PAID*
David Carter: GO-GO *PAID*
Peter Hadfield: GO-GO x2 *PAID*
Brandon Schaal: GO-GO *PAID*
Larry Coffey: GO-GO *PAID*
Eric Eaton: GO-GO *PAID*
Bob Johnson: GO-GO
8 people: $2147.00/$268.37 is our total for the hood
Total money recived for hood project: $2051.59(included S&H)

90-91fitted 2001 RS Bumper:
David Carter: GO-GO *PAID*
Dan Everson: GO-GO *PAID*
LarryCoffey: GO-GO *PAID*
Eric Eaton: GO-GO *PAID*
For 6 people: $1642.00/$273.67
Total money recived for bumper project: $1244.77 (included S&H)

Thank you very much for your time. If you have any problems, sujestions,
questions let me know. (610)-767-5140

David Carter
Last edited by David Carter on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
91 Subaru Legacy LS 2.2l FWD WGN
91 Subaru Legacy SSDN 2.2t AWD
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

Update [10/16/02] *hood construction*

Post by David Carter »

No.. i'm not here to bitch about who's checks haven't arrived or who's in or out.. Since i'm leaving in 13 days i figured i might as well put everything together..

So with out Furthur ADO:

----------------HOOD SCOOP INSTALATION----------------------------------

Ok first, tools i used:

:arrow: Pliers
:arrow: Dremel with metal cutting disks
:arrow: Ricipracating Saw
:arrow: Hand grinder (worked the best)
:arrow: Hammer
:arrow: Drill
:arrow: a german (for all those persise mesurements)(perferably a bit pickled)

Second, stuff i learned:

:arrow: Cutting the hood with a grinder is easy.
:arrow: Igniteing your sofa is easy.....as well..
:arrow: You'll need 2inch or longer Riciprocating saw blades as the standard ones sold don't clear the second layer of renforcement.
:arrow: Dremel Cutting disks are useless.. at 6 bucks a package you only get 2 inches at the most before you need a new cutting disk..

For all of you who said this was hard.. i pity you.. It was easy from start to finish. Fisrt thing we did was make a template from the bottom of the scoop with the bolts in so we could make holes and the traced around the circumfrance of the scoop, tring to stay 1/4 inch inside the actuall edge.

From there we did a bit of measureing and re-measureing and after a couple of marks with a grease pen we taped the cut template onto the hood and traced it out on the hood.

We drew (by hand) a secondary line 1/4inch inside the template beacuse you can't cut longer.. so our plan was to cut short and grind out what we didn't need..let the scoop fall into place.. i left tabs to bend and drill holes into so we could use the exsisting mountings available.. unfortunately the hole wasen't able to be used and had to be cut intirely..

At this point we made the hood entirely un-refunadable.. useing the riciprecating saw for all the curves and the grinder for all the straight cuts cutting took about 15 min..most was taken by the saw as we had to cut one layer at a time as it wouldn't go thru both layers of the hood.

Just for ease of cutting we left the tabs unaltered and just cut straight in from those point.. we didn't follow the lines we made for our template.. again we didn't know where the mounting holes we would have to drill would be.. so we left em long as we knew we could cut the excess off later..in the pic you can see the tabs.. you'll also notice we haven't gotten around to cutting the renforcement from the other side yet..

Once all the cuts were made we would lay the scoop over the hole and see what needed to be ground away.. which in truth wasen't much it slipped right in even with both 1/4 reductions in our template.. we bent the tabs into "L"'s about 3/8 deep useing the pliers and hammer, drilled holes into the tabs. screwed together and really had no snags except that my hand-me-down sofa caught fire from grinder sparks..nothing major..
Tomorrow i wll put in the vents.. and try to set something else on fire..

All in all total time spent was an hour and a half from start to finish.

Finished pics:

Hope you find this usefull i will post this on my webpage as well on the list..

David Carter
RSLegacy90
In Neutral

bonnet scoop

Post by RSLegacy90 »

any idea if a 2nd generation legacy bonnet scoop

can be installed on a 1st gen. legacy?

:idea: thats what i wanna put on my 1990 rs
as apposed to the wrx scoop.

[/code]
JT
1990 RS Legacy
Dunedin, nz
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

Post by David Carter »

anythings possiable :shock:

David C.
Js92Tru
In Neutral

Post by Js92Tru »

I know this has been discussed before but please refresh my memory.

Does anyone know if the 2.5 glass bumper would fit a 92 or are the mounting points different for the 91/92 switch?

Jay
For sale -'92 White Legacy Turbo Sedan (US Spec) STi shifter, STi strut Mounts, KYB AGX struts, Eibach Springs, 16" 97 GT rims, Potenza RE950 tires and others.
His - 99.5 Audi A4 1.8 TQMS (Brilliant Yellow) w/ some Mods
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The mounts are slightly different.....but I'm sure you could have a shop make the bumper work.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
drive
In Neutral

Post by drive »

can we see some new pics of the new hood and bumper on a legacy?
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

*Update* January 2nd 2003 i.e pics and stuff..*Update*

Post by David Carter »

Drive, and guys asking for pics of work so far.

Our digital camera is no longer with us, er..i.e non-functional.. so we are tring to get another cheap one.. the hood is 98.5% finished. the reason for the wait is i have been at boot camp and those at home don't work on it as much as i would.

I will get pictures up A.S.A.P

we resesed the vents just like on the rs hood so that they sit flush with the hood, that was a major thorn in my side when i left, but chris (the guy with the beard in the pics) fixed that problem, pics soon to come

other than that it should be able to be mounted on the car so that i can give you guys some-what an idea. it won't look as pretty as a finished painted peice.. but hopefully it will satisfy.

Most of you want to know what the big wait is. No it's not a big scheme, you all have my phone number and address and i'm sure a couple of you own guns so i don't need that.. We were suposed to start in late october after i shipped out, A.B.E had us scheaduled in to make the run of hoods, and then a couple months later the bumpers. he has other clients other than us. We still were waiting on checks in December, we got pushed back behind those clients who had paid and were ready.. Hoods should be starting Mid Febuary/Mid March, with the bumpers in Early April.

Some of you are asking " How are you writeing this? aren't you supposed to be in Basic Training?"

The US goverment dosen't know if we'll have any free time in the near future (hint hint) and has granted us Christmas exodus, I've been home from December 19th i leave for Ft lost in the woods (Ft.leonardwood) in a couple days. where i will continue my training. After that i will be home sometime Late march/early april after graduation.

My phone Number is still (610)821-9259
If i'm not home ask for Jon Clauss hes up to date on most things relateing to the fiberglass and he should be able to answer your question or relay it to me for a better answer.

Thank you for your time, and i wish you a happy new year.

David Carter
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

An update...

Post by David Carter »

Yes, finally an update. If you weren't able to read the other I posted. I'll have pictures of the Hood up for you tomorrow night or by Friday night at the latest. I'll be contacting ABE fiberglass to check and see if we can get in there sooner. I'll let you know more on that as soon as I know something. I apologize for the wait. If you have any questions please write to David's e-mail address which is changing to bussaca@claws-and-paws.com his current e-mail address will work but I'm not shure for how much longer. Again, sorry for the long wait.

Jonathan Clauss
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

The first set of pictures....

Post by David Carter »

:x I can't upload the pictures. I have them but I can't upload them so that you can see them. If you'd like to see them before I get to post them let me know. Send david an e-mail. I'll send them to you in a zip file. Again it's bussaca@claws-and-paws.com
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Its been awhile.....
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

More Pictures

Post by David Carter »

I've got four more pictures for you guys I know it's not much but we're still waiting in line for our turn at ABE. I'll have to e-mail all of you the pictures in a zip file since I still can't put them up at David's web site so that they can be seen here. If you're not one of the buyers and you'd like me to e-mail you a copy of the files send me an e-mail at bussaca@claws-and-paws.com and I'll send it right off to you.

Till we get in the shop(which shouldn't be long at all)
Jonathan Clauss
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

Update....

Post by David Carter »

:oops: Sorry. I know you hate me or that you're frustrated I haven't been updating more but here's what's going on....

I took the hood in the first time and he said I had to fill the holes in the vents to at least an eight inch so that he could get the texture in the mold. This means that I'll have to cut out the filled in bits before I send them. I can and am willing to cut them out for you guys since I've been such a pain with the updates and all and I'd like to see you guys happy. If you'd rather I just sent it to you that's your choice. We will however have to cut out the opening for the scoop and drill and tap the holes for the bolts for the hood mounts and the mount for the hood catch in the front. Please let me know if you'd like me NOT to do any of this. If so however, then you will be held responsible for the end result. Which means if you goof it up you pay for a new one. I do get AND RESPOND to ALL e-mails you send. The address again is bussaca@claws-and-paws.com

I'll be taking the hood in tomorrow for him to start making the mold on Friday. After the mold is complete he'll be able to make them at approx. two every 3 days. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Jonathan Clauss
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

This is really starting to suck. I was one of the first people to pay INCLUDING SHIPPING and I still have no hood, and its been about a year....

I was even thinking about getting the bumper at the same time but now I dont know whats going on.
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

I must agree ciper...I was so excited about this...and am I guess...but tinged with doubt now...I was in on this a couple years ago when it fell apart and didn't happen at the last minute...I am in for the bumper and hood. I emailed about it a couple days ago...no response yet. I hope everything works out. Truth is, I will probably want to paint my whole car when I get this done, and I don't have the $ yet.
Has anyone else heard about this? Had success or failure contacting Jonathan or David (isn't he away now or something?)?
Thanks
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Can someone with a little name recognition ask around at the Legacy mailing list as well?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As far as I know, he's still overseas with the army.

He lists his phone number in the thread. Give it a call. Someone, whether roommate or family should pickup, and can hopefully give you an update.

If I was still living in PA, I could physically go to the shop and look because he lives about 30 min from where my uncle lived.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

This is almost beginning to scare me...Its not the delays I mind, its the not hearing anything, no info. Then again, He's in the army, shipped out as far as I know, and he left this to his roomate. Its pretty amazing the guy was willing to help out at all, much less run the show...but of course he won't be as motivated as some. And summer is the time of vacations. I'd just can't get real upset if he is serving in some hellhole in the army...while I sit around trying to make my car faster... :lol:
Maybe I will give a call, since my email got no response.
Micum
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, I'd pay extra to get this hood at this point. I've located some early Impreza turbo hood vents to swap in too as they look more like they belong there (I think they're the same as the Legacy rally cars).

Anyway, the most important thing would be that this guy doesn't get shot by some useless bastard over there. When I was in Egypt, the only thing I wanted was for my body to not stay there (don't know why it mattered to me). And what I had to deal with was nothing compared to what's going on in Iraq. I can only imagine what these guys are going through and I wish them all safe return. Happy birthday USA and thanks to these guys that there is one.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Steve, are you in on the hood and/or bumper GB? I feel really bad complaining here about this while david is in Iraq or some other country (I don't actually know where) serving his country. Our country. And I'm not even really much of a patriot...not as things stand now, w/ our current El Presidente...But I do care for people a lot. I hope he is ok. Perhaps if we got in touch with his roomate who he left in charge, we could help get the ball rolling again? I don't know if anyone who is in on the GB lives in PA or nearby. I'm in that quarter of the country, Vermont, but its probably 8 hours or so. But I may have to drive that way soon for some parts I want. So once I get in touch, I will try to find out if we can help make this happen somehow.
Micum
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Micum,
I tried contacting about the hood via email with no results, so I figure I would just try and wait it out. I don't know how long tours of duty go, I think it varies by mission or something. If someone else could get a hold of his roommate and arrange for pick up or something I'd be happy to send a check ASAP even with a few extra bucks for the trouble.

Anyway, I agree with you 100% about the president, but being to a few other countries on thin dimes (no tour guides to hide the bad stuff), I appreciate where I live all the more and the people who are willing to die for this place. Never was much of a patriot until then. Though I suppose Italy would be an acceptable substitute if I had to live elsewhere. Not sure how I'd get my car into a carry-on, but maybe the women there would help me forget all about the Sube...

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I need the hood. I want to intercool soon.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I want my hood :evil:
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Ditto...I need more air to my IC...and reduced underhood temps in general...stat! I also wouldn't mind the bumper...cause I was hoping to paint the car this summer. And I have recieved no response to my emails. I still havn't called the phone number...I just wish I had heard something since april...
Micum
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

I'M NOT DEAD, DON'T KILL ME!

Post by David Carter »

Hello everyone...

Q:OK, why has it taken me so long to get back to everyone...
A: I just got back July 27th and i'm tring to reassemble whats left of my life..

I could go on about job loss and other personal problems.. and boo hoo you into the next century.. but all you guys who have paid for hoods and bumpers want to know is where are my "Mother F@*&ing hoods and bumpers i paid for"

When i got home most of anything that had to do anything with the fiberglass had been sitting from when i left.. and as far as minor work jon had done or minor responces from jon.. Jon wasen't proactive at all with the hoods.. I'm not going to blame jon though i should have had these done before i left.. i apologise.. so i'll try to answer any questions here.. and yes my e-mail Bussaca@fast.net... has been down for some while.. Last e-mail i made was to Eric Eaton about a refund because he sold his legacy.which i haven't gotten a resonce to..as my mail is down..

Honestly i have to call him and settle things out.. Most of the mail was conserneing those interested about getting in on the group buy NOW.. and not when it started.. And all i can say is unfortunately no.. those who got in at the begining are those who get the group buy price.. If you do want a hood you'll have to wait till all the original group buy owners have gotten their parts.. and whats left over can be bought by indaviduals.. but as of this time i do not have a price for you... i haven't even gotten that far.. but there will be a number of hoods left over.. as we've had drop outs..

the rest of you, most of you group buy owners ask "Why the wait..?"

Mostly Uncle Sam wouldn't let me go.. i was supposed to just go thru Basic training/AIT and ended up getting deploied at graduation with my reserve unit, only to stay in Kosovo for 3 months, to come home..running a group buy is next to impossiable from over seas..with all my paperwork and resourses here.. I'M SORRY I'M SORRY!!..but i'm sorrys do make hoods... so where am I...

Why the wait.. Honestly 10 hoods have been made.. Jon had 10 hoods made while I was gone.. and i went to pick up them up when i got back as they had been sitting a while.. When i got there they were messed up.. not by the fiberglas guy, but by jon.. The hood themselves are spectacular and i did not expect the quaility of the finish that was reprodused.. But the problem was jon had set the hood scoop RAISED off the hood about 1/4 inch all around with clay..when he.. well honestly i don't know what he did.. i mounted the scoop before i left.. i sent pictures with the scoop on.. But somewhere along the line jon removed the scoop..for some reason..and then put it back on..with a riser.. it looks bad.. and it's lop sided... It dosen't matter what it was.. it's not what you paid for.. So at this moment CORRECTED hoods are being fabricated..

and i know you've heard this before..

But you should be recieveing your hoods sometime late next month...
and directly after the bumpers.. WHICH SHOULD NOT BE SO LONG!!! it simpler than the hoods.. no cutting, nothing.. all we do is modify the mounting points and make a mold.. so the bumpers should go much better..and faster.. you should have your bumpers right in time for Christmas..honestly..

Pictures.. a couple of you want pictures... let me get my mail situation resolved and i'll get right to that..

Again i apologise about the wait.. There is no excuse for this wait.. and honestly only subaru owners could be this paitent..

OH...and news and updates..

Last person that paid.. was Micum for a hood and bumper.. so that makes eveyone who was not paid... paid. I know Micum you sent that a LONG time ago.. but i just found out..i saw extra cash in the account and i knew i didn't put it there.. jon showed me your letter and copy of your check.. so all is good for you..you just have to wait.....

We've found that just drilling and tapping directly into fiberglass for the mounting areas of the hood is enought to get the job done..but we don't forsee this being something longterm...and reliable so were inserting metal threaded sleves which whould make your mounting more stable and reliable..

Hood Pins..were a past issue... honestly they are a good idea for motorsports apllications but these hoods are so strong and rigid that hood pins would only be decoration for anything less than full out racing..

Heat damage.. also not a problem.. i had originally thought that these hoods would be thin, but they are not..if your turbo is that big you slag a hood i'll surprised..it's hard to burn. Again Fire retardant sheets can be applied to the hoods.. but for anything less than full out racing it will be a waste.. ABE recomends that if it is a major consern to put a patch of Fire retardant material over the area of the turbo/turbos on the underside of the hood.

Professional Installation: These group buy hoods will be bolt on.. but i recomend seriously that unless you are a body shop technician or just putting them on for race application and do not care what they look like to have a PRO body shop install.. Why? As good as i'd like to tought the quality of these hoods, if there is any sanding or fitting issues a Body shop is going to be better suited for exzact fitting, look and finish.

Whats in the future..: Not much..I've pretty much ruined any reputation i could have had in fiberglass parts by taking a year over order to get the parts to thier owners..

If i ever do hoods again they will be with 22B replica vents.. as i hate having to DREMEL out all the honey combs in the 2001 RS vents by hand... and there are no honey combs in 22b vents..

ABE informs me that they can lay carbon fiber....believe me i'm looking into it.. but i don't see it happening to soon..

I will be tring to buy a 92-94 GT in the coming year so you should see these hoods coming for those years..unless someone wants to donate a 92-94 hood.. it'll have to wait for me to chop up mine..

I'll be doing something for the 80's owners of the world briefly

Once i get the look alike hoods out (i.e they look like 2.5 rs hoods) i'm going to be doing hoods that are unconventional.. EVO vents. inverted reverse scoops.. and massively modded hoods.. but..lets not get ahead of ourselves.. i just want to get the first batch out of here..

And i won't be doing group buys again..anytime soon.. you'll just have to wait fo me to come out with stuff.. i proboly won't hear any arguments..as i seem to be bad at group buys.

Thank you for your patients and your time..

David Carter