Brake light on

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rotus7
In Neutral

Brake light on

Post by rotus7 »

I just got my 94 Legacy L sedan. I really haven't had a chance to go through everything, but I've noticed something odd. Twice now, I've noticed when starting my morning commute, the brake light (like if the e-brake was on) has been lit up, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with brake performance. It's just now starting to get cool here in AR, and because I didn't get a chance to drive during warmer weather, I can't compare temp variations with the problem. After driving about 30-45 minutes, I make my usual stop at the c-store for coffee, I start it up and the brake light goes off when I release the e-brake, like it's supposed to. Plus it doesn't happen later in the day while driving from school to work or work to home.

What do you guys think is going on? Suggestions on what to look for?
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Your brake fluid is low. I freaked out about this about a week after buying my turbo and was too scared to drive to school before "fixing" the problem.

The float that your brake fluid level sensor uses sometimes gets stuck. You should be able to fix this by just opening and closing the brake fluid reservoir cap, or if you're low, adding a bit of fluid.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... rake+light
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
rotus7
In Neutral

Post by rotus7 »

Well, my first thought was low fluid level, but when I check, it was well above the MIN but below the MAX. I did not, however open it up. I'll give popping the cap and reclosing to see if that does anything.

I was kind of thinking the cooler weather was causing the e-brake cable to kind of stick a little, but not really engage the brakes. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the response.
dwreck30
Second Gear

Post by dwreck30 »

Even if your e-brake was sticking it would'nt make the light come on as long as the lever is down. Probably a sticking switch.
- Derek
'06 STi
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You have to open the cap to check the fluid level... Looking through the side of the reservoir can be misleading because the plastic gets discolored over time.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212