Heatpipe / vapor exchange intercooler?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Heatpipe / vapor exchange intercooler?

Post by Splinter »

Looking back at my nigh-over computer tweaking days, there were three primary ways to cool hot chips

1. Air-Air heatsinks - Cheap, easy to install, low cooling capacity
2. Water/radiator blocks - Expensive, difficult to install, med-high cooling capacity (depending on setup)
3. Heatpipe heatsinks - Expensive, east to install, high cooling capacity

After searching around on google, I couldnt see any mention of using heatpipe systems in an intercooler, but the more I think about it the better idea it seems to me.

Water is heavy. Really heavy. It also takes up bunches of space. So while an AWIC can beat the pants off an AAIC, its no where near as simple

So why not take a bunch of heatpipes, jam the cold ends in the path of the hot turbo end, and connect the hot end to a big radiator in the front of the car?

It'd probably be expensive, but I'd imagine it'd work great, with minimum enginebay clutter and very low lag
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

What kind of intercooling is used by the Subaru rally team?
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

It would appear to be air-air

But rally cars dont tend to stop at traffic lights often
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Riiigghhht!

The tmic has much more of a heat soak problem than does a fmic. It seems that the main source of exogenous heat to the fmic when the car is stopped would be from the pavement on a hot day.

The latter doesn't happen often in Victoria. 8)
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Heatpipe heatsinks? Huh? I'm not shure exactly what you mean. If there was a more efficient, better way to cool the air charge, I would think the Subaru World Rally Team would be on top of it.

I tend to think there is a reason a $750,000 rally car uses an air to air intercooler.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Heatpipes use a low-pressure refridgerant to move heat around through vaporization/condensation.

My GeForce 5900 Ultra (extremely high wattage video card) is cooled completely passively using two of these.

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Hmm. Interesting idea. How fast can they cool when the temp is raised in a fraction of a second. I know/think integrated circuits don't climb in temp as fast as the air chrage coming out of a turbo.
→Dan

Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

They should react instantly. Or however long the heat takes to propogate through the material of the pipe wall.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'm curious to learn more, but I'm having trouble grasping the overall picture from the small pic you posted. Sound interesting though. Maybe someday someone will make a system with that technology that is much more efficient that air-to-air IC's.

Time for bed though; I've got 9:00 class(its 1:30 here).
→Dan

Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

A. Heat is absorbed in the evaporating section.
B. Fluid boils to vapor phase.
C. Heat is released from the upper part of cylinder to the environment; vapor condenses to liquid phase.
D. Liquid returns by gravity to the lower part of cylinder (evaporating section).

Thats a very simple example.

More advanced units use a material mesh on the inside surface of the pipe to 'wick' the fluid against gravity, so the heat source doesnt have to be below the heatsink/radiator
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

A few thoughts:

A heat pipe must be mostly vertical, since it relies on gravity to recirculate the refrigerant. This creates packaging concerns.

I don't how how much power your NV35 draws exactly, but it's probably somewhere around 120 watts, right? Consider that the stock AWIC radiator has a rated cooling capacity of about five and a half kilowatts.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

So instead of 2 heatpipes, it'd need 50.

Hmmm...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Even if you get the size and mounting orientation, I don't think the heat pipe is going to react as quickly as you think.

If you can find time data on how long a complete cycle would take, it may help.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

heat pipes MOVE heat, they don't get rid of it. So the use would have to be to move the heat from somewhere it is, to somewhere you want it where you can transfer that heat. At that point you still have the same problems and solutions with regards to getting rid of the heat (transferring it to the atmosphere).

similar to heat pipes is to use blocks of very fast-conducting materials like copper and copper-beryllium alloys, one end of which is placed in the hot medium, and the other, in the tranfer medium either air or water.

the usual use of either strategy is to extract heat from areas where nothing else will fit. They are used extensively in the cores of plastic injection molds, where the heat is moved out to water lines where it is carried away to water / water exchangers normally. Note that if you have rom for water lines in the cores, you don't need the heat pipes. The same would go for intercoolers where there is plenty of room for the water normally.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Seems pretty similar to an AWIC in terms of advantages/disadvantages. The only difference is that you choose a fluid that happens to change state when it's heated, but from the outside you're not going to see a functionally different system. Because there's no compressor in this system, this system works just like an AWIC in that it just picks up a little energy from the hot air and loses a bit to the ambient air. If you actually used this for a car instead of a computer, I'm not sure why you wouldn't circulate the magic fluid around with a pump (just like they do in an AWIC system). Obviously this system is going to be more complicated and difficult than doing the same thing with water.

Pro: AWIC and this magic system both give you more freedom to position the radiator further away from the throttle body to avoid heat soak.

Con: AWIC and this magic systm both add an extra loop and an extra heat exchange step that make them less efficient than air-air systems..... unless you're vikash and have a cooler full of ice water in the rear seat circulating through the system . :lol:
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com