FCD question

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RallyRS
First Gear

FCD question

Post by RallyRS »

Hi,

I brought a Fuel Cut Defender (FCD) for my 1989 Legacy RS. The idea is to not cut the fuel over 12.5 psi, which sounds great!

But then I started thinking and not so sure its a good idea. The boost pressure in my car is control electronically by the ECU, but has been reset to 14psi by an eprom chip in the ECU. I not 100% sure on how the FCD works, but I think it lies to the ECU to tell it that the boost pressure has not gone over 12.5 psi.

If this is true, the ECU will have no idea the boost is over 12.5 psi and will not fuel cut but it will also not stop the boost pressure from increasing at 14 psi. Therefore the boost would never stop! well, not untill the engine stops :(

Is this right or wrong?

If I'm right, I guess you could still use a manual boost controller. eg: boost tap or dual stage controller????

Thanks
Hayden
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Don't the chips you guys can get also raise the fuel cut, to account for the increased boost? You might want to give a look through http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/index.php, as they have experience with reprogramming the ECU.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Basically you are right. The FCD is wired inline with the map sensor output wire to the ecu. The FCD does this by clamping the voltage to the ecu. Therefore the ecu never see's boost over 12.5psi(or equivilant map voltage). By doing this you eliminate the engine's only protection, the ecu. It is recommended to install a boost gauge first, so you dont over boost and cook your engine. Also a good boost controller is a given. Dont be too disheartend though, it can be, and has been done successfully by alot of the people on this board.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Tleg93 wrote:Don't forget to intercool.
He has an RS. His came with an intercooler, would have save us some work if our version did :D
RallyRS
First Gear

Post by RallyRS »

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, my RS has AWIC and it seems to work pretty well.

The car is acting like it is getting fuel cut at the moment. It should run at 14psi, but spikes to 13psi and then drops to 11psi (thats what my boost guage says anyway). I also have a air/fuel guage running of the O2 sensor. When I hit 11psi the mixture leans a little but not too much.

Could be fuel cut, or that I have a completely standard fuel system (pump, filter, reg, rails, injectors).

Your comments please!!!
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

You KNOW when you hit fuel cut

It feels like you suddenly hit a brick wall or something. It's quite jarring.
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
RallyRS
First Gear

Post by RallyRS »

hmmm, no sudden change in the engine. But the power sort of dies out, it continues to accelerate but not as angry about it :)

Maybe not fuel cut. Just the limit of the turbo/fuel system?
RallyRS
First Gear

Post by RallyRS »

mikec,

went to the http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/index.php link but there are no posts in any of the threads. I have been to this site before and it has been like that every another time as well. There are people viewing the threads but no posts to view???? weird!

Does anyone else have this problem?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/index.php

Ask there. They'll know exactly what you need.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Re: FCD question

Post by rallysam »

RallyRS wrote:Hi,

I brought a Fuel Cut Defender (FCD) for my 1989 Legacy RS. The idea is to not cut the fuel over 12.5 psi, which sounds great!

But then I started thinking and not so sure its a good idea. The boost pressure in my car is control electronically by the ECU, but has been reset to 14psi by an eprom chip in the ECU. I not 100% sure on how the FCD works, but I think it lies to the ECU to tell it that the boost pressure has not gone over 12.5 psi.

If this is true, the ECU will have no idea the boost is over 12.5 psi and will not fuel cut but it will also not stop the boost pressure from increasing at 14 psi. Therefore the boost would never stop! well, not untill the engine stops :(

Is this right or wrong?

If I'm right, I guess you could still use a manual boost controller. eg: boost tap or dual stage controller????

Thanks
Hayden
Yeah, you're right. If you are still running the stock electronic boost control based on the pressure sensor signal, then you don't want to do anything to screw with that signal or else obviously the boost control would also be screwed.

Running manual boost control would fix this problem, because the boost control would no longer use the pressure sensor, and therefore you could have your way with the pressure sensor signal. But then the chip was kinda of silly

Mikec has an interesting point. It seems like their chip would have to adjust the fuel cut at the same time that it adjusts the boost. Otherwise, you're screwed and the whole chip doesn't make sense.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

RallyRS wrote:Maybe not fuel cut. Just the limit of the turbo/fuel system?

Thats what it sounds like to me. You're probably running extremely lean at high boost, you'll probably want to look at bigger injectors ASAP
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

RallyRS wrote:mikec,

went to the http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/index.php link but there are no posts in any of the threads. I have been to this site before and it has been like that every another time as well. There are people viewing the threads but no posts to view???? weird!

Does anyone else have this problem?
I just checked - you have to register and login before you can see anything. I guess they're not as friendly as us :)
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Oops, I didn't see that you had already posted the link Mike.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

Splinter wrote:
RallyRS wrote:Maybe not fuel cut. Just the limit of the turbo/fuel system?

Thats what it sounds like to me. You're probably running extremely lean at high boost, you'll probably want to look at bigger injectors ASAP
Or it could be fuel starvation. Like Splinter said bigger injectors, BUT without the proper management bigger injectors can only do so much. I would say get a walbro pump too. check all of your vaccum lines also.
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
RallyRS
First Gear

Post by RallyRS »

I think you are all right! I need a better fuel system if I want more power.

And the EPROM chip thing, just confuses me. No idea what is it doing?

I have a fuel/air guage (LambaLink) and Knock sensor display (Also Link), and these show things to be fine, as I said a little lean at the top but not bad.

Everything cost money and more power is on the bottom of the list at the moment. The car is mostly a rally car now just needs a trip meter and turbo restrictor, then lotsa tyres :(.

I hope to rebuild the fuel system and fit a Link ECU during the off season. I also plan to get some head work done and I have some Pro-Drive cams to put in. Hoping for over 300Hp with the restrictor in???? but we will see what happens.