'91 SS rear cam seal leaking

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

'91 SS rear cam seal leaking

Post by kleinkid »

The rear cam seal is leaking, and there might be other small oil weeps in that area forward of the turbo. Does not look like a simple job to replace that o-ring. It looks to me like the up pipe and the turbo have to come off. Which means a number of gaskets and crush washers will need to be replaced. What can you tell me about this job that will help out. Parts to be replaced, words of wisdom, lessons learned etc. Not loosing so much oil that I need to add, but the smell of the oil as it cooks off bugs me. Cheapens the experience, reflects on the owner, you dig?
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

yea i think u would have to take off the uppipe and turbo as the lines are attached to there anyways, and it would give ya a lot more room. you might want to replace the turbo oil/coolant line seals too. they are small orange seals. have you taken that part off before? if not, the seal could be hard to see. i didnt realize it was a seal until i looked at it real hard. its black and will look like its part of that plate u take off. the original seal is round but when u torque that plate down it squishes it down and after awhile looks triangular. hope that helps some.

EDIT: o yea u could just take off the whole turbo and uppipe together. thats what i usually do. ive taken those off at least 4-5 times alrdy. its not that hard at all.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Taking the up pipe out with the turbo sounds good. That means one less joint to break open. When you undo the down pipe is there enough movement there to get the turbo/upipe out?
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

i dunno... i dont have a full exhaust on right now. LoL. i just have a 3inch bellmouth downpipe. u might have to find someone else and ask them. is there any subaru shops up there that u could ask? when im usually stumped with something i just go ask a subaru shop. there are like 4 of em over here now. :roll: hehe
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project