Just starting to modify, ain't it great!!!!!

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

oldfart
In Neutral

Just starting to modify, ain't it great!!!!!

Post by oldfart »

Hi guys,

I've just inherited my wife's 93 legacy Turbo and of course I want to up the power.

I'm thinking of starting with the boost gauge and a manual boost controller. I've randomly picked Hallman for the boost controller, but would appreciate any input you might have on this topic ie. What success have you had?????

Also with the boost gauge, where should I connect it, I initially thought on the line to the waistgate, but again I'd appreciate your input.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going

Keep the faith

Oldfart :D
Old farts rule!!!!!!
92 legacy, MBC, gauge,saab intercooler going in
86MR2
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Welcome!

Search around for a while and you'll learn why starting with a boost controller is a bad idea, and you'll also find some opinions on where to plumb in a boost gauge.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
oldfart
In Neutral

Post by oldfart »

OK "Mr. know it all", I basically searched around all afternoon and basically haven't found why my idea is so terrible.

On the Turbo section there are good reviews for JoeP, TurboXS, and Turbosmart. Actually J Lee is quite enthusiastic about his Dual stage TurboXS.

I also encountered an article in Sports Compact Cars that compares six electronic boost controllers with a single ball valve. And at the single ball valve did pretty darn good!!!

If you're actually indicating that I should do some other mods before a boost controller, then fine, but tell me what you mean!!!

However I will start with a boost gauge, that way at least I know what the Turbo is doing. The post seemed to recommend the autometer. Where would you connect it????

Now that I think about it, this afternoon has been pretty well spent, I've got very good information on manual boost controllers and that's a start.

Oldfart :-D :-D
Old farts rule!!!!!!
86MR2
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

oldfart wrote:OK "Mr. know it all", I basically searched around all afternoon and basically haven't found why my idea is so terrible.
Wow. Dude, take it down a notch.

First thing I would recommend is to find a used WRX 3" turbo-back exhaust. This helps your turbo immensely, sounds great and gives you much better top end power. You'll notice the stock turbo really starts to huff about 4500-5000 rpm with its horribly shaped stock dp with cat. You'll need to find a muffler shop that is competent with custom installs. Some people lengthen the axleback portion of the exhaust, some (including me) have not.

Then you can use the manual boost controller to kick it up 1 or 2 psi over stock. Any more than this and the horsepower gained is neglible IMO and endangering your engine.

Oh, and make sure the car is tuned up to the hilt (plugs, wires, sea foam, oil change, pcv valve, etc). Look up how to remove or modify the snorkus, the coffee cup intake resonator delete, and K&N air filters, and Diamond coilpacks. That should get you started.

William
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Because of the smiley faces at the bottom of your post I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not actually trying to be hostile.

Yes, I'm suggesting that you do other modifications first. Turning up the boost without changing anything else in the system can't be good for things, can it? Witness 92whitelegacy's recent experiences.

Here's an example of a discussion that already exists on Legacy Central about where to connect a boost gauge:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=35826

Please join existing discussions instead of rehashing things in new topics like this. It'll help keep this place as useful a resource as possible.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
oldfart
In Neutral

Post by oldfart »

Ooooops,

Guys, you know we old-timers are generally only allowed out on the weekends, and generally after dark, that way the risk of offending anyone is minimal.

Your replies are greatly appreciated!!!!! :-D :D

And yes, I will try to join existing discussions, thanks.

Oldfart
Old farts rule!!!!!!
86MR2
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

HAHA you remember my sn? aww im touched vikash i really am. Even though its not really a good reason. You guys can start callin me "brandon" the noob if you want :( ....But after this summer or so you better be sayin "Holy shit that things fast...and runs immensly well". :twisted:
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

You should also install some sort of intercooler. Whether its a top mount, front mount, air/water, or whatever, having an intercooler with a boost controller will bring good things. You'll be able to get away with a little more boost safely and even if you keep stock boost numbers, you'll be breathing cooler air, which is better.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Brandon - Well, you can take consolation in the fact that you and others are learning from your bad experience, right?
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

A little. I've got BIG plans for a BIG project/Swap so im Very excited to get things goin.
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Bad experiences are the ones I learn from best. Especially if they're mine. Which is usually how it goes. :)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

free5ty1e wrote:Bad experiences are the ones I learn from best. Especially if they're mine. Which is usually how it goes. :)
yea dood i feel ya. :) i went thru a lot of crap i didnt have to in my swap.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
Hustler M
First Gear

Post by Hustler M »

IMO I would do everything listed in the above posts before cranking up the boost. Also I would stay away from a manual boost controller, Although the Hallman looks good, every manual boost controller I've seen was garbage. Crazy boost creep and would not hold a steady boost level. I would save up for a electronic if I were you.
Carbix
First Gear

Post by Carbix »

Hi guys im new and a NOOB I have the same car as oldfart but im a young buck heheh. My Nana got a new mini and gave me her 93 Sport AWD Turbo Legacy with only 93,000 clicks. :-D Im loving all input that u guys gave. And i half to agrea with the holding back on the gage. lots of other things will work better and for the buck.
|====.[Legacy. Central].====|
|...............................................|
|=+[Leaving A True Legacy]+=|
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the board.

I've removed the image from your signature. There are some users that are still on dial up, so we don't allow images in signatures.

thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Glad to see some new guys here. Carbix, I'm glad to see that you found your way over here. You and Oldfart are definitely going to learn a lot of stuff from these guys.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+