IHI VF36 twin-scroll turbo... it's gon' happen.

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Chris was asking me about this, so I'll post the info for all.

It does appear that our friend Hardy knows his shit. An 06 LGT came in today for an oil change, so I snuck a peek at it and nabbed a picture. It does indeed appear that the EJ255 has the twin-scroll oilpan.

Sorry, that's the best quality pic I could get. I can't touch the car, so I couldn't remove the cover.

So if you have twin-scroll turbo aspirations, you might wanna look into an EJ255 oil pan and pickup.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

dont tell me i can order this from my subaru dealers. now i am going to get this oilpan and go get a twin scroll, it makes more power right? this is getting out of hand now for me, when will it stop, i better check in to a drug place.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

This was covered in an earlier thread, but the twin-scroll is only more effective with an equal length exhaust system.

On top of that, the headers have to be arranged such that each combustion pulse alternates from one side of the divided turbo to the other.

Check out your physics text for the difference between impulse and force.
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Aren't the Subaru twin-scroll headers designed to fully take advantage of the VF36 and VF37 turbos?

I'd imagine it'd be quite a waste of research and development on their part if they came up with headers that nullified the faster-spooling characteristics of a twin-scroll turbo.

Of course, I HAVE these headers, but they're packed deep in me truck. Man I wish I had a chance to really check that shit out before I had to pack it away.

Nico - yep every piece of the twin-scroll setup is available from Subaru; just not necessarily Subaru of America. (turbo/headers/uppipe/downpipe = JDM only)

I believe Power Enterprises has some upgraded wheels and housings for the VF36/VF37 turbos, too; for later...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

free5ty1e wrote:Nico - yep every piece of the twin-scroll setup is available from Subaru; just not necessarily Subaru of America. (turbo/headers/uppipe/downpipe = JDM only)
I should add that I cannot LOOK UP these parts from my SOA catalogues. It's possible that if I get part numbers for these parts, I might be able to order them.

Many other dealers in this area (Nissan for example) have sources for JDM parts...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Oh - then when I gets to unpackin I'll see if any of my parts have part numbers on 'em so others can possibly get them.

Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a place that regularly imports Subaru JDM parts, such as the twin-scroll turbos & related pieces - I just checked, he appears to still be in business:

https://w109.webminders.com/iaperforman ... nNumber=67

edit: Hey! He's got the twin-scroll gasket set for sale now, $52! Kickass.....
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

o lord, i cant handle all this horse power over load. i wish there was a master book i could bye on every single part # thing subaru has ever made.

i would own the worlds strongest fast subaru that i could drive around the world with.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I'm going to do some more digging on this guys, but it might be that ALL EJ253's have this oil pan.

I dunno why Subaru did it (well, maybe it actually improves HP, since the EJ253's have 173-175hp), but it appears that ALL Subaru nonturbo 4cyls have a "turbo" exhaust. The driver's side header goes in front of the oil pan and meets the passenger side on its way around, then they both exit straight out together. The EJ253 is available in the Legacy/Outback 2.5i, the Impreza 2.5i, and the Forester 2.5X and XS. I'm fairly sure the Baja still has the EJ251, so it won't have this setup. I do know for sure, however, that the exhaust does this on Legacies and Imprezas. And I know for sure that the Legacy 2.5i has the same oil pan as the GT.

I need to look at a Forester too, I might even do it before I leave today. But I'm fairly certain I'll find the same thing...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Awesome - man I'd be so lost on finding that oil pan and pickup without your help Mike. Thanks!

By the way, I'm just planning to order it from some Subaru source once I get out there -- that is, unless you recommend that I purchase it through you with some sort of employee discount... in that case I could come visit you at work or something. Let me know.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
spikey
In Neutral

twinscroll

Post by spikey »

if you need any help with twin scroll on your Legacy let me know,as I have had it for a few years now,but it is constantly evolving it is now on a 2.5 liter sti motor,I have had the upgrade compressor wheel from Deadbolt and rear wheel clipped due to the increase in gas flow,but if it was going onto your 2.2 liter cars then the vf36 would be the ultimate these are ball bearing with titanium blades and shaft,which is very light and help spool the turbo.the vf37 is not a ball bearing turbo.only the spec C Ra spec in japan gets the Vf36,so these are quite rare,and you would not want to find out how much Subaru charge for this turbo.anyway if I can help let me know.
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

G'day mate :!:

Good info
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Awesome. That's the one I've got; VF36, because I found out the VF37 didn't have a ball-bearing CHRA, and I figured the spool advantages of a twin-scroll turbo were probably cancelled out by the low-quality bearing; I wanted both.

Didn't realize the blades were titanium, that's like icing on the cake. Can't wait to play with this turbo.

So you say that if for some ungodly reason I'm not satisfied, Deadbolt does offer a compressor wheel for this turbo? I thought it was Power Enterprises that modified the VF36 and VF37... that's good to know there's at least some competition.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
spikey
In Neutral

vf36

Post by spikey »

Yes they can modify the compressor wheel on these turbo,but I would be reluctant to do it to the Vf36 as they don't have replacement Titanium wheels.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Also good to know. I doubt I'll need to alter this turbo :-D
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yeah Chris, I can probably get you a bit of a discount. Not full employee discount, but I'll give you a break ;)

*Formerly DerFahrer*

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Kickass... I'll email you to figure out when would be good. Thanks!
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Just got back from Star Subaru, Mike helped me order the notched oil pan and matching pickup. He also gave me a hand finding my boost leak; it sure does make a difference when all the pressure makes it to the throttle body, boy I tell you whut. Turns out that I had the MBC set for 16-17 PSI, not the 12-13 I was getting on my gauge. :oops:

Thanks Mike!

I can't freaking wait to unpack in NV and get started with this VF36 project... and replacing the burnt #3 exhaust valve will probably help a bit too :)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

free5ty1e wrote:(I apologize for the delay; info to come once I have a functional shop/garage again and can unpack the turbo/headers/pipes & get photos/measurements)
you paid $1500 and havent even unpacked this stuff to check the condition?
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

info for everone, if everone know's sorry for posting it.

that crazy oil pan you need to make this all work, 2005 sti use this oil pan. i got a sti apart at my house and its the one.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

magicmike wrote:you paid $1500 and havent even unpacked this stuff to check the condition?
I've had the boxes open, the parts look good. Unfortunately, I had to pack them right back up again as soon as I got them, because my living situation changed rather rapidly at that point in time. It was either pack up and leave immediately, or get dragged off to jail and have the cops remove my belongings from the house while I was being held. Some people are just pure evil.

Believe me I'd have loved to spent more time looking and measuring and comparing. Life doesn't always work out the way you want. I'm just glad I was able to get out of that situation with what I have.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

free5ty1e wrote:Just got back from Star Subaru, Mike helped me order the notched oil pan and matching pickup. He also gave me a hand finding my boost leak; it sure does make a difference when all the pressure makes it to the throttle body, boy I tell you whut. Turns out that I had the MBC set for 16-17 PSI, not the 12-13 I was getting on my gauge. :oops:

Thanks Mike!

I can't freaking wait to unpack in NV and get started with this VF36 project... and replacing the burnt #3 exhaust valve will probably help a bit too :)
No problem Chris. Had a ton of fun with your car; just the km/h speedo made me feel JDM y0! :lol: See ya on Thursday!

Thanks for coming out to the NASIOC meet also! I've been itchin' for some more old-school reps out there :D

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

APS has twin-scroll headers www.airpowersystems.com.au
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

free5ty1e, just wondering if you've been able to install the twinscroll setup yet?
'94 TW
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Re: IHI VF36 twin-scroll turbo... it's gon' happen.

Post by free5ty1e »

I finally have gotten my property to the point where I will soon have a solid place to work on my own Subarus again. In anticipation of this, I've began gathering parts that I will need for a 550cc yellow-top RobTune and have found my VF36 twin-scroll turbo kit and pulled it out of storage. I need to unpack it and clean it off and spread it out and I will take photos for all to see.

Twin-scroll turbo with a ball-bearing CHRA and titanium compressor wheel. From the Impreza WRX STi Ver. 8 Spec C, RA Spec. Neat! :-D

I have not been able to find the oil pan and pickup that I could have swore I purchased from Mike's dealership in Orlando before I moved out here... it should be in there somewhere, I will have to go back and hunt around some more. Worst case, at least I know the part numbers I'll need to reorder -- thanks Mike! (06 Legacy GT EJ255 twin-scroll oilpan part number is 11109AA131 & it lists for $108.28, and matching oil pickup is 15050AA050, and list price is $22.58)

Methinks after all this is up and running I will need to be careful until I procure a Subaru 6MT that can handle the increased output. Asking this question in the drivetrain section. :)
Last edited by free5ty1e on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Re: IHI VF36 twin-scroll turbo... it's gon' happen.

Post by 93Leg-c »

You must be excited to get going on the twin-scroll conversion. :D (If I had the funds, that's the route I would probably take.)

Once you get the twin-scroll set up running as it should, I know you'll be comparing (and posting for us to see :-D) the differences between your current setup and the twin-scroll setup. I was wondering if you could also take note of the difference in gas mileage between both setups. No, I'm not saying to try to be a mpg champ, but it would be nice just to see what kind of difference there is with the twin-scroll setup.
'94 TW