Gallery

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

What to do?

Convert Gallery1 to Gallery2
40%
Install new Gallery2
60%
Use a different program
No votes

Total votes: 5

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Gallery

Post by THAWA »

Okay, so the gallery is messed up. I don't know what, when, or how it happened, but I haven't been able to fix it. So I have a few choices on what to do.

I can upgrade the current gallery to Gallery2. It's a new version with a lot of improvements. This would require that I download every picture (will take at least a few days), install the new gallery, then upload every picture (will take about 3-4 times as long). You would be able to keep your old albums and upload directly to them with the new improvements.

I can create a new installation of Gallery2. this is probably the easiest thing to do, but it doesn't allow your old pictures to be integrated with your new ones. Unless you upload all your old pics again. I would still keep the old gallery active so old links wouldn't become bunk. I'm leaning to this as it's a quicker thing to do.

I can install a different album program. Does anyone have any suggestions for other choices?

I want to get this fixed, and I'm sorry it has taken this long just to do it. I just want to get your guys opinions before I do anything. Here's a comparison of Gallery1 and Gallery2: http://codex.gallery2.org/index.php/G1-G2_Comparison
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

You're going to need db software for G2, but I'm sure you already took that into account.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I don't mind uploading all my pics again...

It's your site man, you're paying for it. Whatever you wanna do is up to you :)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I know that Gallery2 can import content from Gallery1. Is there some reason you can't do this instead?
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

whatever is easiest for you is just fine with me.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I also think going with a new install of Gallery2 would be best.
Anyone who really needs their pics in the same place can do the extra dl/ul work.

Make it easy on yourself, you're awesome for letting us use your gallery in the first place.
90 L+ wgn
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hardy!!!

Would you like some help figuring out what's wrong with the current installation, giving it one last shot? I have a little experience with this sort of thing, so maybe I could help.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

I agree that since it's yours and you're are paying its up to you. Also we are mooching off of your kindness of letting us use it so we can do the extra work. Of re-uploading. If you keep the old album open that would be helpfull as some of the pics i have stored in there i have erased from my camera or other's pcs.
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Dave - I probably didn't read the instructions right, but I thought you had to backup the files first, then use the old files in the new gallery. I didn't know you could just import the old stuff, that would be easier.

Vikash - Hi :). Yeah, that would be cool. How should we do this? AIM, IRC, MSN, Yahoo? I do think that Gallery 2 would be a better route to go though, as we have an assload of pictures, and supposedly 2 is better with large amounts of pictures.

Everyone else - I'm really just kind of curious if Gallery1 is working alright for you guys. Is there anything that you'd rather use? Any extras you want? An easier method?

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

snowboarded wrote:I agree that since it's yours and you're are paying its up to you. Also we are mooching off of your kindness of letting us use it so we can do the extra work. Of re-uploading. If you keep the old album open that would be helpfull as some of the pics i have stored in there i have erased from my camera or other's pcs.
That's about word for word what I was thinking.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If you want to upgrade, then of course that's what you should do. But if you'd rather just patch up whatever's wrong and then let it continue living, I'd be glad to help. I guess the question of which is preferable has to be answered by the people who use the gallery most.

I can sign onto irc.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

The old gallery is great. I have NO complaints. I just figured you changed around all the addy's cause of links being everywhere and it was soaking up bandwidth. I vote for fixing it and letting Vikash help or do all the work himself lol
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

One thing i've noticed about G2 is that direct links to images may not be possible. I could be how the gallery I use it set up, but I know that's important for what your gallery is used for.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »