Custom intake question

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Murphy
Third Gear

Custom intake question

Post by Murphy »

well its sorta custom anyway.

i was wondering, in the snorkus, the tube that mates to the air dam, in there anything inside of it? if there is than can it easily be taken out?

while looking at the snorkus in the fender earlier i pondered cutting the tube leading to the air dam at the point were the snorkus box (whatever you want to call it) is and just removing most of the snorkus but leaving that pipe.

then, since it didnt look like much air flow gets into that fender easily, cutting a whole in the bottom of the plastic/rubber stuff that closes off the bottom of the fender

then sticking in a pipe in the whole that will come up adjacent to the intake pipe so that i dont suck in water but it would be sorta of a ram air system

would i get any benafit from a ram air, or is it a waste of time.
i like the idea because it will cost me nothing with all the crap i have laying around here

if thats to confusing i can try to sketch it out for you (TRY is the key word here)
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

You can remove the snorkus without any harmful effects. Some people actually plumb the cone into the fender so they can get cold air.

I saw another set up that had a straight tube going from the front of the car to the airbox.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

any smooth tubing will work right? like the 1 1/2 foot smooth section on the end of a vacum cleaner extention hose, thats about 1 1/2" inches wide.

is there much danger of sucking in water from a low ram air type intake if its mounted right below the fender?
jedz123
In Neutral

Post by jedz123 »

My Buddy and I decided to try to make direct cold air intakes for our cars(RAM-AIR). We removed the whole snorkal and air boxes. Cut a Hole in the metal right where the air box sat and fed a 3" dryer pipe through the hole. Where the left Foglight goes in the bumper, we removed that plastic cover (we needed to saw because we both have L's no foglights just covers). We placed the pipe up to the bumper and with self tapping screws screwed the pipe to the bumper. We installed a cone Filter and then bought a 3" to 5" pipe adapter to place over the filter. Duct tape the adapter to the filter and BAM! we had RAM-AIR.
At the time my friend owned my Legacy and I drove my Impreza(Ej18). I ended up Disconecting mine. I didn't have any rain or water problems. In the winter however I had big snow build up problems. At one piont my intake got stuffed full of snow and the car refused to start. So I just diconected it and haven't touched it since.
Does it work? well I got my Impreza up to 125mph on a flat where I could only get it up to 115mph. But I didn't feel any noticable power.
The Legacy on the other hand had a Noticable gain...pending on the weather. Hot or Muggy days the car felt and drove normal. But If it was
cool and brisk It had more power. Before The Ram-Air he coulden't go any faster then 130mph. But with Ram-Air on he could go up and over 140mph. It was a fun little expirement.
I own the legacy now and I leave it diconnected. I still notice a little umph of power when it's cool. Maybe I should just re-connect it for the hell of it. :D
94 Legacy L FWD 5-speed 210k miles
Traded the 92 Loyale for:
92 Legacy L AWD 5-speed 250K miles, Parts Car
92 SVX 4EAT AWD Weekend Driver...OH YES!
jedz123
In Neutral

Post by jedz123 »

Last edited by jedz123 on Wed May 31, 2006 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

mine has a yellow marker there but im certain it doesnt work, do any particular cone intake seem to work better than other or can i go get one off the shelf at autozone for $15

cant see any of your pics by the way
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I only get snow in my NACA-style duct when slamming into snow banks. Still runs clogged, just not happily. Never had water problems.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jedz123
In Neutral

Post by jedz123 »

lol thats what we used was the $15 autozone filters.