No reverse.... hrm

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

No reverse.... hrm

Post by gt2.5turbo »

i just got myself a new 93 AT turbo wagon and the man i bought it from said that the reverse is was going out when i talked to him the other day. Well today i drove it home and everything works fine but reverse just doesnt link up.... i find this odd because reverse isnt a gear that is used very often so i was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening.... Not a big deal i can push it out of parking spots and im going to eventually convert it to a MT but just wonder why the hell this happened...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you checked the at fluid? I'd change it and see if that helps.

if not, there's probably a stuck solenoid or something's plugged in the valve body.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

would this potentially harm the way the rest of it works or would it just be possible for me to go on pushing it untill i get a MT tranny lined up.
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you're planning to swap to a MT, I'd say just drive the car until the tranny dies or you get all the parts for a MT swap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
anthonyle2002
In Neutral

same here

Post by anthonyle2002 »

i had the same problem a while back. if i let the car sit overnight then it would go into reverse but if i used reverse once it won't do it again unless i leave the car off overnight again. i ended up getting it rebuilt at ammco and now its running well.
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Re: same here

Post by Psychoreo »

anthonyle2002 wrote:i had the same problem a while back. if i let the car sit overnight then it would go into reverse but if i used reverse once it won't do it again unless i leave the car off overnight again. i ended up getting it rebuilt at ammco and now its running well.
Thread resurection.
93 SS 4eat

I have the same problem as listed above and didn't want to start a new one.
also it feels like there is excessive resistance on the engine when the trans is cool or when on a light throttle. I.e. at 15mph and 1/4 throttle i'll hit boost because of the load on the engine.

So what are possible causes? Fluid leaking inside the tailhousing?
I have another auto for it but it's been sitting outside for quite some time and i'm not sure i want to risk it, and the guy i bought it off of threw a wrx 5mt and rear diff in the trunk because he didn't want me to have a car with a scrap trans (Thanks Jason, I'm mailing you plate on Friday)

Ideas?
stupid electrical work...
head2wind
Second Gear

Post by head2wind »

I have two 4eat trans with this issue 93 and 94 MY. the 93 I know for sure is bad because I am still driving it and the 94 is another "for sure" because I just tore it appart to see if it was "OK" like the previous owner said (Not even close BTW!). The reverse clutch pack is the first pack that you can get to when disassembling (nearest the engine). At first glance it seems that this clutch pack is one of the smallest out of all the packs with 5 friction disks and small diameter. The one that I have apart has ~195k miles on the clock but I think that someone has been in here before. This does not explain the reverse failure nor the when cold function however.... The one thing that I have noticed with the one that I am still driving with no reverse is that when it is cold there is a slight indication that there is increased load to the engine when I put it in reverse.... however as soon as it is warm all signs or hints of reverse functioning disappear. The 94 transmission was the victim of overheated ATF, black as night as I drained it out, the 2-4 band and drum show signs as does the reverse pack that is way over heated and several of the frictions are WAY worn (down to metal). I have not gotten into the other packs to determine condition. I am not sure if I will be going any further with the 94 as the whole thing is a charred mess....
94 Silver Turbo Wagon 5MT/Walbro255/SS header/STi Gn Mounts/01 RS wheels
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

So any ideas on what causes this or any fixes without replacing the whole trans?
stupid electrical work...
head2wind
Second Gear

Post by head2wind »

I have a service manual for the 4eat that I will try to get scanned and copied up to a site somewhere. It has all of the troubleshooting and diagnostics for determining causes of problems... hopefully scanned and offered up some thyme this week.
head2wind
Second Gear

Post by head2wind »

I read the manual last night and also scanned it all. If anyone is interested in the scans PM me and I will email them to you.... or I need to find a site to host the .zipped files.

Based upon what I read about how the transmission fails to "safe", provided the transmission itself is OK. I believe (not tested) without the TCU it will continue to operate but not very well....

This is related to these failed states for the following Solenoids:
Duty sol. A (line pressure), fails OFF & max line press
Duty sol. B (Lock-up), fails OFF & releases lockup
Sol. 3 (overrunning clutch), Fails OFF & engages "engine brake" when reducing vehicle speed
Duty Sol. C (transfer), fails OFF & applies max line press to 4WD clutch

So, I believe that without the TCU this will put the trans in a "failed" state.... maybe I should try disconnecting the TCU and see what happens ?