Sylvania Silverstars bulbs: phooey!

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

USDM Xtravisions are very similar to the OSRAM Silverstars. Look on the package, and the USDM Sylvania Xtravisions are made by OSRAM.

When I had my Ford Ranger, I put in some Cool-Blue lights by Sylvania. I might as well have left the headlights off when it was raining, lol.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

US-market Sylvania Xtravisions are identical to European-market Osram Supers.

European-market Osram Silverstars are a step up.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Ahh, that's it.

I remember you telling me there was SOME equalivency between the US Spec Xtravisions and some OSRAM light.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

+1 for Nokya Arctic Whites. -1 Silverstars - garbagio...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

How do I cancel the undeserved "plus one" you gave Nokya Arctic Whites?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You say "The almighty lighting god Vikash says no." And it shall be done.

92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

+1 for nokya artic purple. (blue) Vikash dont hate..appreciate. LOL jp :twisted:
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Don't be an idiot.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

vrg3 wrote:Don't be an idiot.
Nuh uh! Haha, either somebody finally got a rise out of Vikash or that's a BAC edit.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

rallysam wrote:
vrg3 wrote:Don't be an idiot.
Nuh uh! Haha, either somebody finally got a rise out of Vikash or that's a BAC edit.
I won't edit a post by Vikash unless he requests it to be done. You on the other hand... Watch out ;)

92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

HAHA i was reading hoping for a laugh then i was like" wait i didint type that?" haha. I hate you phil. :evil: jk
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I too bought these bulbs for like 35 bucks at autozone. They suck to say the least. I was not impressed at all. They're white and I saw better with the other bulbs that were in there(they too were sylvania but not the silverstars, not stock?).

My girlfriend has aftermarket lights on her 91 accord and they're ridiculously bright! I want those on my legacy...
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I do the extra vision and they are brighter not whiter. I reccomend them. they do however burn out alot faster than normal bulbs. They tend to last around 4 months or so with me.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
klaxed
Second Gear

Post by klaxed »

vrg3 wrote:Yeah... Get Xtravisions and swap them in place of the Silverstars, and you'll see even better! Xtravisions are cheaper than Silverstars, too. You can keep the Silverstars in the glove box as spares just in case a bulb burns out in the middle of nowhere at night.
ditto on the Xtravisions. I had some siverstars that my brother gave to me and when the roads were wet (especially on black tarmack), I could really see anything due to the blue tint. I then purchased some Xtravisions and they are way better due to the fact that they don't have the blue tint on them. As well the Xtravisions are cheaper than the silverstarts. I guess it's all in the marketing.
Brent

'92 Legacy Wagon Winestone, 265K on body, ~100K on engine, 5spd, kyb gr2's w/ whiteline ground control springs, sti top hats, hatch spoiler to be added soon...