93 leg wagon reduce body flex (cracks noises), wind noise

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

93 leg wagon reduce body flex (cracks noises), wind noise

Post by ericem »

Hey, im new i usually hang at the USMB forum, but i forgot about this forum, now im going to post, so i really want my 1993 legacy L wagon to feel mroe refined, but first want ur opinions about body flex.

Ok well , when take off, i hear a crack in the dash board, this is my main thing i want to solve, doesnt anyones elses legacy do the same thing, does anyone know a way to fix this?

Im also wondering if driving around with torque bind for about 1 year, and my mom mostly goes to the groccery store, and LOTS of tight turns, it was hard, but we did it till we got money to fix our subaru, but now EVERYTHING is fixed, the broken abs sensor, 3 bad bearings, 1 bearing in the back is sitll going original, torque bind fixed, need a new TCU, and what else? Thats all, and we fixed the major rust, for 2000CDN, total i spent from when things started going wrong about 3 years ago, about 10,000CDN and we have 14 percent taxes here, but 10,000 with taxes, so now were keeping the car till we die, lol, guess my dad got a little excited when we sold our house, and didnt really shop around for good prices, o well.

SO now im here, and i also have wind noise, and the seals at where the end of the door meet, looks flat, so i guess i need new ones, and i need to realign the glass I THINK and the door needs to be pulled back, and needs to close mroe tight. And i also noticed that the mold beside the glasss, sits a little farther off the glass then the other side, and i put tape on it went 150KM and no wind noise, and it was SUPER windy. SO how can i fix that.

And thats all i want to fix for now, thanks!

heres some random pics i got off my car from in the garage. Ill get better pics later.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j202/ericem/subaru/
Last edited by ericem on Sun May 06, 2007 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

Most of these are phantom problems.

You do not have body flex unless you're absolutely throwing your car around.

edit: A new TCU?! WTF.
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

wiscon_mark wrote:Most of these are phantom problems.

well, i dont know where to check though, its not really flexing should i saw, its definitly stable when u get it going, just when u take of i hear a crack noise from the dashboard sometimes, thats all, and the wind noise.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

okay, your engine is definitely not causing the body of the car to flex. The frame would have to be made out of tin foil. If you're just hearing a little crack type noise, it's probably nothing and you should associate it as part of the character of the car.

Wind noise is completely normal, it comes with owning a car without door sills.
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

wiscon_mark wrote:Most of these are phantom problems.

and the stupid shop fucked me upp, they said 1500CDN for the drivesolenoid and clutch packs, then it ended up beign a 3000 dollar job, because after they opened it up, other things fucked up, didnt shift otu of first when i gunned it, just bounced off rev limiter.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

Maybe you should stop gunning it.

And if they gave you a 1500cdn quote, they should've stuck by it, unless of course they found new problems that you asked them to fix.
185,000 miles
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

[quote="wiscon_mark"]okay, your engine is definitely not causing the body of the car to flex. The frame would have to be made out of tin foil. If you're just hearing a little crack type noise, it's probably nothing and you should associate it as part of the character of the car.

Wind noise is completely normal, it comes with owning a car without door sills.[/quote

so theres nothing u can suggest? But my dad thinks its the antenna though, there is rust in that area, forgot to get it fixed, and the atenna doesnt sit tight, so how can i tighten it down?

doesnt show the gap in the pic, but there is rust.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

wiscon_mark wrote:Maybe you should stop gunning it.

And if they gave you a 1500cdn quote, they should've stuck by it, unless of course they found new problems that you asked them to fix.
EXACTLY, i told my dad, but he just doesnt let me fight nothing, they DIDNT SAY NOTHING about what they were doing, i would call them, and they would make lame excuses, and sounded liek real BS, o welll, not my problem, my dad paid for it so i dont care, but now he thinks, he shouldnt have PAID a long time ago, and he gets angry randomly, whenever somethign breaks on this car, like after we installed new belts and the alternator died.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Oh, and another thing, the dam shop BROKE my abs sensor, when they swapped the front bearings, but once again, my dad didnt let me fight the price we paid 300 for the sensor, AND the dam speedometer bounces, like i have a good idea how fast im going, but its bounces between 10-20km gap, at low speed only though (0-70km) then after that its smooth. WHy do u think this is like this? And can that delay the 4wd from kicking in, because when it rains, if i floor it, it takes a pretty long time before it reacts, and i feel the rear wheels kick in. I really am Pissed, i paid 3000!!! and the dam tranny doesnt even work perfectly!!!!!! This shop is a bunch of BS's and should ^&%*(.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

The dash in my twgn makes cracking sounds when it changes temperature---like when heater or A/C on :?
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

Yeah, that's just the plastic ducting changing temp and expanding/contracting, that's the only thing I can think of.

what would the antenna have to do with all of this?

And how would we be able to help with that?
185,000 miles
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

well, what i needed to know is how to make it sit tighter to the roof.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

I don't think the rust is coming from the antenna, it looks like to me like it's coming from the body strip. A little grinding, primer, and spray paint and it's as good as Gold.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

There are threads on the wind noise. An easy fix is to put 1/4 rubber tubing between the folds on the leading edges to tighten the seal to the window. Also compress the triangle at the base of the front of the window (carefully - you don't want to break it).

As far as creaking, I noticed some reduction with front and rear strut bars, but mostly you just have to hunt them down and retighten loose fasteners or trim clips. Broken plastic can be fixed with the miracle of the plastic welder (I'm psyched to finally have gotten one) or by getting new ones. Dash creaks are the biggest PITA to fix, but I'mm lucky in that mine doesn't do it much.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

plastic welder eh? where'd you find one of those?
stupid electrical work...
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Psychoreo wrote:plastic welder eh? where'd you find one of those?
snap on sells these kits but its nothing more than a soldering iron with a flat tip and some plastic sticks to fill in the plastic.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

plastic epoxy works too.

I had to epoxy some interior trim pieces this weekend when I was putting the impreza back together.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

Legacy777 wrote:plastic epoxy works too.
Usually what I do. I was just curious.
stupid electrical work...
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

plastic welding is used to repair bumbers and such. plastic weld is a 2 part epoxy usually used to fix broken interior panels from behind where you wont see it.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's a lot of money to repair a tranny. I'm not exactly sure what it would be in US dollars but I know it's a lot.

I have a 90 legacy wagon that I got for 400 bucks. The second day I had it the timing belt snapped while I was passing a big truck pulling a horse trailer and a car that pulled out in front of the truck while I was passing the truck. That was embaressing because I had just about passing them all and it just died all of the sudden and I had to let them pass me so I could pull over. I'm sure they were all laughing.

It gets worse though. My tranny died not 2 weeks later. I went to the junkyard and got a 94 tranny(auto)for 175 bucks plus core(worth 25)but I never turned the core in so it cost me 200. I installed it myself and it's worked perfect ever since. So, for 200 bucks and a bunch of ATF fluid I got a tranny that had 120,000 miles on it to replace my 272,000 mile tranny.

So screw that shop. They sound like assholes and you should take them to court.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I can't get that serious though, although it would make me feel good to blow up there shop!!! But im planning on going back there and pissing on the guys face. No just kidding, but im going to go in there like this,

Hi, i brought in my car, in June and the car came in to get Torque bind fixed, other then that the car was solid and shifted perfectly, then after the guy changed the solenoid and the clutch packs the transmission had problems. Now you guys ORIGINALLY quoted me $1400 FOR everything including front wheel bearings. THEN we go test drive it and it doesnt shift out of 1st when you were in higher RPM ranges, so u guys holded the car for 3 weeks, then you call us, and told us the car was ready. THEN out of no where u give us a bill for $3,000 ON ALOT OF crap, that doesnt seem to be replaced, and you claim you replaced 4 torque converters? and a TCU($800) now if i look under my dash board i still see my old TCU as there is a spot of rust and its definitly not clean, and the transmision you guys claim is our original, BUT the serial codes are now different, AND ontop of that the car doesn't shift right at 6500RPM liek it used to and the car doesnt engage the AWD like it should for $3000!!!! AND we had to get the front ABS sensor replaced because i guess when u changed the front wheel bearings u wacked a abs sensor. Now i want to know what you guys plan on doing about this, like this car is not EVER going to fetch over $3000 the way u see it, i mean its nuts that i paid the bill, and it doesnt even work like brand new. If u do not plan on doing anything about this i will see you in court sir.

The last sentance ill use if these guys start to be real priks! If they give me a 1000 refund and fix my tranny ill be happy. But still if they acually did what they claimed they did i would reconsider especially if the transmission ran 100 percent! but no. Just gets under my nerves whenever i need to replace somethign and think about the 3000 spent on that tranny.

Then i find out to see how much a transmission costs. Ring ring ring ring, hello, hi im looking for a transmission for a 1993 subaru legacy AWD, oh we have in stock, we have 1 with engine and transmission in mint condition only 50,000km tops sir, and tranny and engine were pressure tested and engine has compression like a new engine, and is very clean. Ok, so how much am i looking at, well about 800 or 1400 installed, Ok thank you.

Eric hits his head several times with his nokia 6620 cell phone.

Ya that really made me angry to find out that! Well i need to read over the warrenty papers soon, hopefully im not over warrenty perioud or else im very screwed.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4