Pictures not available in old posts

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

1990 Legacy L Owner
First Gear

Pictures not available in old posts

Post by 1990 Legacy L Owner »

Why is that? Sometimes, even most of the time, the picture IS the topic. When I come to a new forum, I look through all the old posts just to see what's there. Now, when somebody's talking of a specific part in their engine and they post a pic, it's a speeding freeway pic taken with slow shutter speed so all you see is the lights rushing by. You can still click on the pic, but it's just that damn freeway. No wonder people re-post old topics.

Do you disable those old pics to save space?
Chris
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

What happens is that those are placeholders for accounts on image hosts that no longer exist.

Say someone has an account at imageshack and either closes the account or deletes the images. Imageshack returns that image instead of making a blank or nonexistent image, or an error message for that matter.

Almost none of the images on the BBS are hosted on the BBS.

Good enough explanation?
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
1990 Legacy L Owner
First Gear

Perfect explanation. Thank you.
Chris
1990 Legacy L Owner
First Gear

Ok, just one more thing. Why isn't there an add an attachment option when posting? I've never run a website before, so please excuse my ignorance. This is the first forum I've been to that doesn't allow attachments to be added, is this a cost issue?

Is there a way people can donate to the site? I always donate to forums that help me this much and are this well taken care of and designed, and I'm sure other people would, too. :D
Chris
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

phpBB does not have an attachment option - at least not as standard issue stuff. It's probably an addon - and it's standard in version 3.0.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)