Throttle Body Spacers for NA cars - what are they worth?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Adam West
Fourth Gear

Throttle Body Spacers for NA cars - what are they worth?

Post by Adam West »

Thinking about getting one of these for my 99 legacy GT...

I'd love hear iif anyone here has any experience with these? Basically I'd like my NA to be a little more peppy and better gas mileage is a bonus too. Getting one of these do that?

Thanks in advance for advice and knowledge.

~Adam

clip<<<<Throttle Body Spacers
Fits: 1999-2004 2.5 RS, Phase 2 2.2 liter NA Subarus
Price: $85US + Shipping

Product Highlights:
* 6061 T6 Aluminum
* Precision Milled
* Kit includes:
o Throttle body spacer
o Throttle cable bracket
o Longer throttle body bolts
o New gasket
o Longer vacuume hose
* 100% made in Canada

Benefits:
* Increases Torque on NA subies
* Perfect for getting back lost torque when aftermarket intake or headers are used.
* Increases fuel economy
* Can be tapped with 1/8NPT for meth/water injection****
* Looks damn cool!>>>end clip

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.p ... ge=1&pp=20

Here's a photo of one installed...(bottom page 3 of thread)

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.p ... ge=3&pp=20
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

What does it do? Just extend the effective intake runner length? I can't imagine that little bit will make that big a difference, but it should move your power band down a little lower, while sacrificing a little off the top. How much, I don't know, but I would think hardly any. The intake pulses in the runners reflect back upon hitting the larger volume of the intake manifold main body to a degree, so lengthening the intake at the throttle body wouldn't have a huge effect on changing the optimized rpm of pulse charging.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

It increases plenum volume.

I spoke to Clint at Turn-In-Concepts about the one he sells. Apparently, it does make a butt-dyno noticeable difference.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

So this would primarily be of benefit to a boosted car, I would think. Does an N/A pull so much air from the plenum that the throttle body becomes a noticeable restriction? These aren't really high rpm engines, though I guess a 2.5 is fairly large. I'm just surprised that small increase in volume would make a noticeable difference on an N/A. I would think you'd have other restrictions that would be of greater benefit to resolve, though a combined effort would probably make a fair difference.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Interesting, but I don't think my Cobb intake would fit properly if I installed that.

Oh well :)
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Kinda sounds like the ole' Carb spacer...

(which doesn't do shit btw)
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That was my first thought.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I had a TB spacer on my last car. Butt dyno said it gave a little more low end torque. I'd say it's cheap enough to try.
SUBARUEHS Racing
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

sounds like it would be worth trying on our rallycross car if it had a phase 2 ej22. but it doesnt so...
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

There's a few threads on NASIOC in the NA forum about this. Pat Olsen did some dyno testing, with and without, and with his modifications he saw no "real" evidence that a TB spacer does anything.

On a relatively unmodified car, it's been shown to give 1HP.

Now phenolic spacers on the other hand...
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

555BCTurbo wrote:Kinda sounds like the ole' Carb spacer...

(which doesn't do shit btw)
Correction on that. Carb spacers on V8 motors ARE proven to work via dyno results. The ones that work the best create a vortex for the air. It's the same idea as raiser intakes.
As for a fuel injected car, I doubt it's worth even wasting a few brain cells over.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
siouxbe
First Gear
Location: Lat. 40.02 North/ Long 105.25 West/ Elev. 5356 ft. People's Rep. of Boulder

Post by siouxbe »

DLC wrote:There's a few threads on NASIOC in the NA forum about this. Pat Olsen did some dyno testing, with and without, and with his modifications he saw no "real" evidence that a TB spacer does anything.

On a relatively unmodified car, it's been shown to give 1HP.

Now phenolic spacers on the other hand...
I got the 8mm Phenolic spacers from Grimmspeed.
I haven't tried installing them yet cause someone on another
board said that the EGR tube needs a 8mm extension to fit.
Anyone on here tried installing 'em yet?
I have 2.2l N/A
1991 Subaru Legacy BJ 2.2L/2.5LSTi Block Hybrid N/A w/ over 250,000 miles! 1992 Yamaha Seca II 2004 Dyna Super Glide My other car is a Go Kart Redhair...Black Leather...My favourite colour schemes. If it's not Scottish...it's Crap!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The first gen legacies do not have EGR, so you don't have to deal with that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
siouxbe
First Gear
Location: Lat. 40.02 North/ Long 105.25 West/ Elev. 5356 ft. People's Rep. of Boulder

Post by siouxbe »

Duh
Thanks Josh, I forgot about that
1991 Subaru Legacy BJ 2.2L/2.5LSTi Block Hybrid N/A w/ over 250,000 miles! 1992 Yamaha Seca II 2004 Dyna Super Glide My other car is a Go Kart Redhair...Black Leather...My favourite colour schemes. If it's not Scottish...it's Crap!
siouxbe
First Gear

Post by siouxbe »

Dave, Care ta chime in?
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Intake manifold and TB spacers are doing different things.

From what I can tell, the TB spacer is just giving volume to the intake plenum and the material is aluminum, IIRC.

Intake spacers are keeping the heat transfer from the heads to the manifold to a minimum, but also creating more volume in the intake tract, which should help those of us NA guys.

I bought the GrimmSpeed phenolic intake manifold spacers but have not installed them yet. No big rush, just participated in the NASIOC GB and wanted to get a respectable price.
Legacy Central
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Re:

Post by Danteandsoob »

DLC wrote:Intake manifold and TB spacers are doing different things.

From what I can tell, the TB spacer is just giving volume to the intake plenum and the material is aluminum, IIRC.

Intake spacers are keeping the heat transfer from the heads to the manifold to a minimum, but also creating more volume in the intake tract, which should help those of us NA guys.

I bought the GrimmSpeed phenolic intake manifold spacers but have not installed them yet. No big rush, just participated in the NASIOC GB and wanted to get a respectable price.

I know this thread is quite old but DLC, did you ever install them? what model did you get from GS (I'm assuming this one http://www.grimmspeed.com/phenolic-ther ... n-a-98-06/ ), and did it make any noticeable difference in low end torque?
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Throttle Body Spacers for NA cars - what are they worth?

Post by kimokalihi »

I installed them but noticed no difference. However the intake manifold is not as hot to the touch as before.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Throttle Body Spacers for NA cars - what are they worth?

Post by James614 »

I like the idea of the manifold spacers, but im skeptical about how much of the heat from the runners actually soaks the air charge. It must be at least measurable, since manufacturers have go to things like thermoplastic intake manifolds and valve covers, which do run noticeably cooler than metal ones.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.