soooo...my car won't start

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

soooo...my car won't start

Post by Arctic Assassian »

However, I know why. 1991 legacy turbo 5mt. nowhere on it does it say sport sedan or ss. I bought it used with a blown turbo and no boost control to speak of for 500 bucks. It sat for about 9 months before I put a td04 on it with a 06 wrx tmic. I also installed a perrin SS recirc BOV, that I (stupidly) ran as atmospheric for a few weeks. I always ran 9psi wastegate boost, with my boost gauge tee'd in at the wastegate vacumm line. I never ran my gauge at manifold, so I never was able to tell my actual manifold pressure, or vacuum. Anyways the car drove great, but always ate oil, and never wanted to idle for long periods, like a rush hour stoplight.

About four weeks of driving it recirc and at 9psi, I developed a rod knock. Four days later My car died at a stoplight and it took four light cycles of me trying my hardest to get the car started again. It did but only ran for a few hundred feet untill I tried to go up the slightest grade, and it fell on its face completly, and never started again.

I know that the turbo was originally blown while someone was test driving it when it was at the used car lot. It had no vacuum source to the wastegate, whatsoever. I imagine it was hitting 17 psi or so, on a vf-11... so that blew the rings, and I blew the rod by loving every minute of that car.

My new plan is to install an 04 sti shortblock. I have found one for 400 dollars, but it needs rings, the car it came from took about a quart of oil every 500 miles. however the mechanic who removed it from the car, gave me the thumbs up, and told me I was an idiot for not already buying it. I'm gonna mate it with dohc 2.5 heads from a 95 outback.

Anyways, I pulled off my tmic, and to my suprise, there is about 2 tbsp(alot!) of oil just after the pressure side of my turbo, with a significant amount of metal in it. How likely is it that my turbo is damaged? How easy is it for metal particles to destroy the bushings(bearings) in the turbo? I know that these are hard to answer, but I'm looking for a general description of how metal destroys turbos, if at all, and how long it takes before any significant damage is done.
Thank you
-Adam
Kickin' it old-school.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

maybe I should put this in turbo.
Kickin' it old-school.