Tips For Three Month Legacy Storage

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Tips For Three Month Legacy Storage

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

I'll be out of the country for three months so the Legacy is going to have to sit for that time. I have been reading around and compiling a check list for storing it. Please add anything you deem necessary:

-Fuel stabilizer
-Parking brake off
-Fresh coolant/oil
-Baking soda in cabin/trunk to absorb moisture
-Mothballs in engine bay to deter rodents
-Wash/wax
-Cover/seal
-Plywood under car to prevent moisture/rust
-Take battery inside

The problem is that the driveway I am storing the car on is slanted enough so jack stands might be dangerous. Is three months going to damage the tires?
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Dunno about anymore but where are you going???

Is there any chance of putting it in the garage... that would be best. I know my car takes a beating being parked outside. :(
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

I'll be doing a semester in Athens so I'll be out until December. I wish I had a garage to put it in but I don't have one nor can I afford to leave it somewhere. I do have a decent quality car cover I will be using though.
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Three months, I wouldn't bother doing much of anything outside making the parking spot secure and maybe some baking soda and dessicant in the cockpit.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I personally think car covers are bad news for outdoor storage. They harbor moisture and make a humidity tent out of things. cars rust much faster with covers on, even the so-called breathing ones. Probably not as much of an issue in dry climates.

Plug the tailpipe to keep rodents out, and the airbox entry hole too. remember to remove these. Rodents don't seem to like japanese car wires, park next to a german car and they will be too busy chewing those wires, they love 'em.

Tires will be fine as will gas oil etc. but I'd fill the tank and change the oil once re-started.

disconnect and remove battery and charge it up fresh before re-starting.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car