A vacuum hose reference for EJ22Ts

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Are you sure D has an ID of 3.5mm?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Pretty sure, why?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Because a 1/8" ID hose doesn't fit over it.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The 3.5mm hose is a very tight fit. The nipples on the tee and auxiliary purge valve don't have any beads on them so they rely on friction to hold them in place.

1/8" is a bit smaller than 3.5mm, so it's not surprising it's hard to fit over it. When I replaced it on my car, I think I might have used 5/32" hose clamped with zipties.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

ah.

Trace
First Gear

Post by Trace »

Hey guys I just got my autometer boost gauge. I'm still confused on which vaccume line to take... referring to the diagram suggested by vrg3, Do I take the L/M line?? All the picture link here seems to be dead, could someone please repost the pictures? Thanks!
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I PM'd you back and explained which one to use.

The pics are dead because we had a past member that hosted a Gallery that we could all use to host pics. That site is gone so, most of the pics on the site got lost...... :(
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Trace
First Gear

Post by Trace »

for those who can't tell the difference between a EJ22T and EJ22 but want to install a boost gauge.

The following pic shows which one is the #1 runner (from passenger's side). I don't know what #1 runner is but I figured its the the tube looking thing that comes out of the intake manifold.

As legacy92ej22t suggests:
T into it before the T that goes to the charcoal cannister. So, put the T for the boost gauge closest to the intake manifold.
Many thanks to vrg3 for his vacuum hose diagram and legacy 92ej22t for his help!

there are tons of thread on this I'll post pictures for my steps of gauge installation.

http://www.sfu.ca/~leonc/Legacy/Boost%2 ... 20hose.JPG
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Are you sure that the WG solenoid is blumbed correctly? I think you got the L and J lines mixed up.

It looks like you drew the pressure feed (M/L) as the little hose that connects to the top of the solenoid. But I think this is a vent for the actuator.

I think the compressor (M) should go directly to the bottom of the solenoid (J).

I think K is in the right spot though.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I have a 91 LS and it is plumbed the way I described. I have only owned the car for a couple weeks and it has a surgin under boost issue. :?

ps: thanks for taking the time to do this!
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You have a 91 LS but a previous owner installed a turbo engine in it?

I'm pretty sure my diagram's correct for the boost control plumbing. Sounds like whoever did your swap mixed them up. That actually sounds kind of bad... If you switch the top and bottom fittings on the solenoid then it seems to me that the wastegate actuator would never see pressure and you'd overboost.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

First of all, yes I have the SS. I was thinking LS, but my head was up my arse. I was thinking that SS stood for super sport, DOH! NOOB uh?

Anyway, mine is not plumbed the same as the last photo. Only the bottom two hoses connect to the turbo compressor. The top one is smaller and appears to be a vent. Maybe that's why my car likes to surge under boost!
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Please be precise with your words.

The bottom two hoses connect to the compressor?
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Yeah, the two bottom hoses are about 1/4" and the one on the very bottom connects to the compressor and the other connects to the wastegate canister. The small connection (maybe 1/8") looks like a vent.

I had the solenoid off the car and tested it. the bottom two fittings on the bottom were normally closed. The horizontal bottom fitting and the very top fitting were normally open. This is why I assume the little fitting on the top was a vent.

When I energize the solenoid, the two large fittings on the bottom open to eachother and the small fitting on the top closes off. It seems perfectly normal to me; that's why I ask if you drawing is correct.

When I bought the car, the hose clamps on my solenoid were slid down the hoses, past the fittings. It was obvious that someone 'worked' on it and didn't put it all back together right.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Boostedballs wrote:the bottom two fittings on the bottom were normally closed. The horizontal bottom fitting and the very top fitting were normally open.
That sounds right.
When I energize the solenoid, the two large fittings on the bottom open to eachother and the small fitting on the top closes off.
Hm. That doesn't. Are you absolutely certain the fitting on the top closes off? Because I suppose it's possible that energizing the coil opens all the fittings to each other; I've never looked at it that closely. I thought that energizing the solenoid would open the small fitting on to to the large fitting on the bottom, closing off the large fitting on the side.

But now that I think about it, it makes more sense that it would open all three to each other, because that would make for smoother pressure gradients and whatnot.

Do you have the right solenoid? Part number 16102AA012 or 16102AA013?

I promise you my diagram is correct. You can check through the factory service manuals and the parts catalogs to verify.
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I trust your drawing, not my car. I've read a few of your other posts and you seem sharp on the subject.

I'll have to double check the pumbing. I'm gunna take all of that silly resonator crap off of there and see what's really going on.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool. 90% chance, I'd say, that your boost control issues go away after you replumb it correctly.
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Well, I took all of the intake stuff off to get a better look at the plumbing for the wastegate solenoid and it all looks right (per the drawing). I guess I was confused in the begining because of the tiewraps in there made it look like I was tugging on one hose when it was a different hose. Duh.

I did the snorkus mod while I was in there and I checked all the moulded hoses and fittings for cracks and what not but it all looked good. The only weird thing I noticed was oil coming out of the BOV canister fitting. The boost is rock-steady at 5psi with the canister line disconnected. 9-11psi with it hooked up. It sometimes it likes to fluctuate when I'm WOT at either 5psi or 9-10psi. weird. Sometimes it pulls really hard when my boost gauge is only showing 5psi.

I guess I'm back to the drawing board on this issue...

But thanks a ton for the drawings and the advice guys!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah, good. I was getting confused myself, wondering if it could actually work plumbed backwards.

Some oil in the intake is normal.

The fluctuating between 5 psi and more-than-5 psi usually means the ECU is detecting knock.

PS - Mods, can we get someone to fix Trace's ridiculously huge image?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

vrg3 wrote:PS - Mods, can we get someone to fix Trace's ridiculously huge image?
Done
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks, Josh!
mexicanzero
Second Gear

MBC

Post by mexicanzero »

for the sake of clarity
i'm going to be doing lots of work on my 92 this summer and once the intercooler is in i'm obviously putting an MBC in
soooo correct me if i'm wrong but referring to the vacuum diagram that begun this thread...
the MBC will go somewhere in hose K
then the boost control solenoid is going to be unhooked from hose L which is going to be capped off? or just left open?
let me know if there's something that i left out or said wrong.
thanks
-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The MBC goes between the compressor outlet and the wastegate actuator. How you want to do that is up to you.

Do cap off the nipples on the boost control solenoid that'll be unused afterwards.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

you said nipples, plural does that mean that i should unhook all three lines from the solenoid?
and so theres a vacuum line between the compressor and the wastegate actuator that isnt in the diagram?
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You can leave the bottom line hooked to the solenoid.

There is no vacuum line directly between the compressor and wastegate actuator -- the factory boost control solenoid is there.