Column Key slot help.

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Column Key slot help.

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

Hello everyone, i know i have not been around a lot i had to have a surgery on my lower back and was pretty much bed ridden until recently, i went to go to work today but my 1995 Legacy L sedan (4eat) wouldn't start, this has happened before but it has a new battery and that healed the problem last time, i think that my entire key assembly in the column is either shot or something, the battery is brand new interstate, and i had a brand new key made and it wont even click like its trying to start, I apologize if this is not the right spot, but i thought it may be due to i thought it may be electrical problem. I would like to thank everyone in advance for reading this and possibly helping me with my problem.
Subaru- Because friends don't let friends drive inlines
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The quickest thing to try is to move the shifter to neutral and try to start in neutral instead of park. If the inhibitor switch is the problem, that'll probably work at least for the time being.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

Thank you vrg3, you really helped, if its not the inhibitor, how difficult is it to pull the column apart and remove/install the key port? im just trying to get estimates on all possibilities of what could be wrong or what could go wrong for me. id preferably like to knock out the problem completely at one shot instead of bandaging it.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's easy enough to replace the ignition switch, assuming it's like on 1st-generation models. The only awkward part is the the two bolts holding the switch assembly in are designed to have their heads shear off when they're installed so that it's harder to steal the car. These instructions are for a 1st-gen:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/pics ... switch.png

Do you have a lot of keys on your keychain? Subaru/Nissan ignition switches seem to be a little more sensitive to excess weight than average, so they do sometimes wear out this way.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

i only have about 5-6 keys total on one ring, and a shining star key chain from work (yes i'm "special") so i guess ill strip down the keys to the bare minimum and just be careful ill try to tackle it this weekend providing i can get a little help from one of my smaller more flexible friends. thanks a bunch, your posts ARE information packed like your sig says.