For Sale: Standalone Scan Tools

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, same price, because it's the same unit. The one scan tool should work on all North American first-generation Legacies.

And I'll be sending upgrades to the three people who own the first run so they can use them on non-turbos too.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Cool... keep us posted!
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

What a guy! Extremely busy with his own life and still taking care of us in the Suby community... Vikash, give yourself a pat on the back for that one. I put my vote towards the title of Subaru Saint, or Saint Subaru... Whichever sounds better. :mrgreen:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Heh, well, I think we all rely on each other to some degree anyhow. I do like how generous the Legacy Central community is overall.

And there is a selfish reason for this too... At my job I can't earn more by working extra hours, but by doing this I can earn some extra money with some extra work. =)

So... The new units, six of them, are done and up for sale!

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=240884
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
bepa
Second Gear

scantool

Post by bepa »

I am not able to get one right now, but yes I too would like one as well.

be great to know what is up in the car right away. ends a lot of guess work on repairs.

price is not bad, not that most of us have a lot of extra money. like all that it can do for you.

thanks for reading this and be well, Bepa
91 SS/ 01 MB ML 55
Bronx, NY.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, I can certainly appreciate that it's not cheap, especially considering how little many of us have paid for our cars.

There are two things I really love about this device.

One is the coolant temperature readout; it's designed to default to displaying that parameter if you don't press any buttons for a minute or so. It's the one actual gauge I really wish my car had.

The other is the ability to see trouble codes on a nice neat display without having to look stuff up, and then being able to clear them with the press of a button even if the ECU doesn't think the problem is gone.

That said, I designed these things for fun and for the challenge; the utility of the tool was almost a bonus. And if you were to offer me its functionality without that geeky payoff, I would certainly think carefully before dropping that cash. So I totally see where you're coming from.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Assuming all goes as planned I'm in for the next batch... I would love one of these things.

Thanks Vikash, and its good havin ya back. (Whether we agree on Gbl Wrmg or not! lol :smt023 )
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
ripplesouth
First Gear

non turbo 1990 Subaru legacy reader

Post by ripplesouth »

smh0101 wrote:Assuming all goes as planned I'm in for the next batch... I would love one of these things.

Thanks Vikash, and its good havin ya back. (Whether we agree on Gbl Wrmg or not! lol :smt023 )
I'd like one for my '90 subaru legacy as soon as possible!
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

I'm wondering if the plans and operating system source code is available for users who want to build their own?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

They're not, at least not at the moment.
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

It would be much less aggravation if there was a kit to build our own stuff.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

On the contrary, I think the aggravation comes from the complexity of build-your-own. Most users, this community included, are far more willing to purchase a product that's pre-packaged and ready to be used, or is "plug-in".

This is, however, moving off topic. vrg3 has the right to market a product based on his own work. I'd love to see him release the source and instructions for the devices in the future, and I'm confident that he will do so.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

DLC wrote:On the contrary, I think the aggravation comes from the complexity of build-your-own. Most users, this community included, are far more willing to purchase a product that's pre-packaged and ready to be used, or is "plug-in".

This is, however, moving off topic. vrg3 has the right to market a product based on his own work. I'd love to see him release the source and instructions for the devices in the future, and I'm confident that he will do so.
I believe I am posting in the Vendor forum so this should be within tolerance of the conversation topic.

To respond to you: To buy something ready-made? Yes, if it comes with a proper warranty and proper refund policy Most would go for it when affordable. Ebay is one of the only forums where transactions are insured against seller fraud and loss. If a seller knowingly ships a defective product, or the item does not match the description, it's insured. The seller gets his/her defective product back, and the buyer gets his/her money back without much fanfare.

however if a pre-made device doesn't offer any protection for the consumer it's about the same amount of stress and MORE money Potentially lost as building it myself.

To go a step further when I purchased my IPAQ I also purchased the carepack that goes along with it. That allows me to replace it twice per year for the next five years if I drop it, or somehow break it. And at Radio Shack
if my batteries die within a certain time frame, I can replace them with the battery warranty for a couple bucks more.

But even more relevent is my Seagate hard drive. That came with a 5 year manufacturer's warranty.

So I hope this clarifies my original point from the last post
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

I'm also going to add that anytime I've ever purchased anything experimental it was always in the form of "plans" or "kits"
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

I think it would be much better for VRG3 to sell the adaptor, and port the software over to IPAQ handheld or even a laptop. He could sell the software licensed copies with the kit. My LT and IPAQ are known quantities.

My IPAQ and my laptop are warrantied, however the juicebox will never be.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Jas,

Vikash stated there was no warranty in his post. The BBS has no say in that, nor do we really care to have any say. If the seller wants to include a warranty, that's fine. If not, that's fine, and it's up to the buyer to determine whether he/she would like to take the risk of purchasing an item without a warranty.

I can see your point about the kit and the hassle, however if Vikash doesn't want to sell it as a kit, he has every right to not sell it as a kit. All you or anyone else that is interested in a kit type setup can do is ask, and if it's not available, that's too bad.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You would like a scan tool that uses a laptop? I have already made one that I give away for free! You've even already posted in the thread about it; did you not read the existing material before adding to it?
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

iPaq handhelds are like palm pilots Vik. Not a laptop. They have older palm pilots with serial ports and there is even OBD scan tool already ported for such palms (not for free mind you).

Regardless... lets try to get back on subject. i know there are a couple people out there waiting for a second batch of these bad boys to roll off the assembly line. Any idea when you'll be ready to make more?

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I was referring to the "or even a laptop" part.

I honestly don't know when I'll have the next batch ready. I haven't even had time to begin building them. It looks like ripplesouth is going to return his to me for repairs, and I'd like to get a good look at it before I start building the new ones, in case I can learn something from the repair process.

I'm sorry to keep you waiting for them. I'll keep you posted.
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

Its okay. Spent the money on suspension bits anyhow so it's likely i'll need a while until i can afford one.

The laptop software works great so far. I have a spare PC im thinking of embedding into the car, just preffer the gauge display over the numerical display of the laptop software.
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

anymore comin? just checkin, great job VRG
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)