Adding a tachometer to a factory cluster without a tach

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Baulde
First Gear

Adding a tachometer to a factory cluster without a tach

Post by Baulde »

I have a 5 speed brighton that came from factory without a tach. In the spot where the tach should be there is a blank that just says subaru legacy.

Does anyone know if a tachometer can be installed into this cluster ? Or will I have to find an entirely new cluster ? If new cluster is the only way, are the forester clusters the same ? And is there much difference between a cluster on a car with ABS and a cluster without. My car does not have ABS (Yippie). There are Automatic clusters available but finding a 5 speed seems to be more difficult.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

You have to find a cluster that goes with the kind of tranny you have. And you can't add on into the brighton cluster. It's way easier to add an aftermarket tach.
Kickin' it old-school.
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

I purchased another MT cluster for my car off eBay. Took it apart and the tach drops right into the Brighton cluster. All the lights are the same and the Brighton cluster has all the same wiring including labeling for the tach. I was going to use the ebay tach but it is in miles and I wanted to keep KM's. If it does not work I can just swap it back.

I will have to wait to test it out as the engine is still on the bench in the garage. But looks like all they did was not put the tack in. There are other wires in the dash that come to the front for buttons that were never installed. Looks like the wiring is there for more then just the tach
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You go to a junkyard, pull a cluster with a tach, pay the man $30, and go home where you subsequently install it in your car. On several cars(not just Subaru's) the wiring is already there, just add the cluster, simmer for a few minutes, and viola, you have a working tach. Cripes, we did it on a Ford Festiva. Easy as pie.

There are tons of 1G Legacies in the bone yards, so finding one shouldn't be very difficult. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver. Maybe a stubby as well.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

Thanks, but you missed my above post. I did just what you said. Although its not installed into the car as of yet.... I have to finish the motor.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

makes me wonder why they would even exclude the tach form the brighton... it's not like it costs them anything to put that gauge in and if they already have the requisite wiring......

oh yeah, it's to make the next trim level seem more desireable so you will spend

?
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.