Walbro installed - few Qs.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Walbro installed - few Qs.

Post by BSOD2600 »

Finally got my Walbro pump (Gss341) installed today. Since I haven't seen pics of the internals, took a few during the install. also have a few questions on the various parts on the fuel electronics.

Yay for easy access in the back of the TW

Even depressurizing the system with the car running, gas still came out of the hoses... quite annoying. During the reinstall, I connected the middle line (outgoing) and then gas started to come out the 1st and 3rd lines from the tank - wtf?

I noticed the outgoing fuel line end was torn up some. Not enough for fuel to leak through, but still not in great shape. Is it a bitch to replace that section of line from the tank to where-ever it goes?

The internals of the gas tank

Resistor(?) for the tank floater. What is the purpose of that silver thing attached to the yellow wire? Whats the purpose of the green/gold lines further to the left in this pic -- fuel return from the engine?

How the hell does one get this washer thingy properly on the end (secures on the filter)? I ended up using a small stoket which fit over the end and shoved it on...

Is this one of the baffles I've heard about for our gas tanks?
Last edited by BSOD2600 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Light a cigarette and look DEEPLY into the tank/

Yeah, its confusing, I have no answers, and I am headed for bed.

Good luck.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

The yellow wire is to a capacitor that keeps the electric gauge sender from blowing up the car if it tries to spark.

The little washer is just pressed on... I'd say you got it right.

One of those other hoses/pipes is the return, not really sure which, or what the 3rd one does.

The pan in the tank is a baffle, keeps a tray of fuel available during high-g movements
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Replacing that supply line isn't really fun....You'd probably have to drop the tank.

The thing attached to the yellow wire is the low fuel level sender that turns on the light in the dash. The newer models incorporate the low level warning into a specified resistance range for the sender.

If you purchased the install kit, it would have come with a new fuel sock, and clip.....which would have made installing it easier.

One of the lines is your supply line. The other is the return from the engine, and the other is from the other side of the tank. It's piped in with the fuel return, which creates a venturi suction and siphons fuel from the driver's side of the tank.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Walbro installed - few Qs.

Post by James614 »

Ages old thread, but it mentioned an issues with gas pouring out that I ran into. The fix was to open the gas cap, which I guess releases the pressure/vacuum, and the fuel sits like its supposed to instead of inexplicably pouring out of both the hose and the tank fitting.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yes. I wonder how the OP was depressurizing the tank? I figured the gas cap was what he did.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I assumed relieving pressure in the engine bay would work for the whole system. OP may have made the same mistake.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.