Cruise control not working...

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Herm99
First Gear

Cruise control not working...

Post by Herm99 »

my cruise control is not working, is there any common fixes for this? I'm driving a couple hundred miles in about 2 weeks, was hoping to have it for that trip..
thanks.
99 OBS 2.2 -auto
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Keep pulling the switch to set the cruise when I don't use it often it doesn't work right away. Also when you push the cruise control button on the left do you hear the relay?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Herm99
First Gear

Post by Herm99 »

what do u mean keep pulling the switch? You mean keep the little lever deal? keep pulling it? Not sure if i can hear the relay, i'll have to try it again and listen, do the relays go bad often?
99 OBS 2.2 -auto
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Not sure like I said if you keep pulling the lever " " w/e its the thing on the steering when you pull to set the speed. Keep reattempting it a few times till it works. Make sure you pushed the switch on the left to turn on cruise control.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Herm99, do you have a manual or automatic transmission?
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
Herm99
First Gear

Post by Herm99 »

ultrasonic wrote:Herm99, do you have a manual or automatic transmission?
automatic...
99 OBS 2.2 -auto
what huh
Second Gear

Post by what huh »

i think you two need picture if this going to go any where
1998 Legacy GT-T ... sold
2000 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed ... heck yeah
1994 Legacy SS ABM Wagon ... project http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35107&start=0
Help http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35210
Herm99
First Gear

Post by Herm99 »

ericem wrote:Not sure like I said if you keep pulling the lever " " w/e its the thing on the steering when you pull to set the speed. Keep reattempting it a few times till it works. Make sure you pushed the switch on the left to turn on cruise control.
Well i tried this several times on my commute to work, it is still not working. I can hear something (the relay?) clicking when i push in the button, clicking near the glove box, is that where the relay is?

Does anyone have any other ideas? Would really like to get this fixed before next weekend.
Thanks
99 OBS 2.2 -auto
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I'm curious to hear what comes of this. My cruise hasn't worked since I pulled my dash to do the heater core. I've traced and retraced the wires and all of my connections are good. When I hit the cruise button (the one on the dash) it doesn't light up, nor does the rear defroster.

I suspect a fuse but I've been too busy working on other things to track it.

BTW, I have a 4eat as well. Best of luck Herm and I wish I had more for you.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

It is vacuum operated this system right? what is that plastic part on the cable under the hood for the cruise control? Maybe try hitting it lightly and see if it works.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes the cruise is vacuum operated.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Herm99
First Gear

Post by Herm99 »

Legacy777 wrote:Yes the cruise is vacuum operated.
Can anyone pinpoint me to where this mechanism is? I checked the fuse, its fine. I tracked the throttle cables to what i think is the cruise control, but by looking at it you can't tell whats wrong. The hoses are fine, not cracks or holes. Totally lost on this one.....are you telling me no one has ever had or fixed this problem??!!
99 OBS 2.2 -auto
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The cruise actuator is on the firewall where the cable attaches to.

The vacuum motor is below the brake proportioning valve on the passenger side of the car.

I wouldn't say there are a lot of issues with the pump, or at least I haven't heard about them.

There is a way to put the cruise computer into a diagnostic mode. I had thought I had that info on my site. I'll have to look through the manual and see.

What symptoms with the cruise are you having?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Herm99
First Gear

Post by Herm99 »

Legacy777 wrote:The cruise actuator is on the firewall where the cable attaches to.

The vacuum motor is below the brake proportioning valve on the passenger side of the car.

I wouldn't say there are a lot of issues with the pump, or at least I haven't heard about them.

There is a way to put the cruise computer into a diagnostic mode. I had thought I had that info on my site. I'll have to look through the manual and see.

What symptoms with the cruise are you having?
The symptom where it doesn't work at all...lol.
I push in the button, the light comes on, push the lever deal, nothing...no worky. Fuse is fine, tried to find the relay and was unable to do so.
99 OBS 2.2 -auto
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

On manual transmission cars there is a switch that turns off the cruise control if the clutch is depressed. Is there something similar that turns it off when the brake is depressed, or the gear shift selector is moved on an automatic?
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

kleinkid wrote:On manual transmission cars there is a switch that turns off the cruise control if the clutch is depressed. Is there something similar that turns it off when the brake is depressed, or the gear shift selector is moved on an automatic?
There is a cruise cut off switch on the brake pedal. I may be part of the brake light switch, I'm not sure. Either way, this would be a good thing to check.

Also check free movement of the cruise actuator throttle cable.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
Herm99
First Gear

Post by Herm99 »

ultrasonic wrote:
kleinkid wrote:On manual transmission cars there is a switch that turns off the cruise control if the clutch is depressed. Is there something similar that turns it off when the brake is depressed, or the gear shift selector is moved on an automatic?
There is a cruise cut off switch on the brake pedal. I may be part of the brake light switch, I'm not sure. Either way, this would be a good thing to check.

What do you mean its ON the brake pedal? Like its physically attached to the pedal itself? Can you tell me what it looks like, is it inside the car? How would i go about testing it?
99 OBS 2.2 -auto
peterd
In Neutral

Post by peterd »

Herm99 wrote:
ultrasonic wrote:

What do you mean its ON the brake pedal? Like its physically attached to the pedal itself? Can you tell me what it looks like, is it inside the car? How would i go about testing it?

there are switches located on the pedal cluster on the brake pedal and the clutch pedal. they trigger the cruse control to shut off when one or the other is applied. look under the dash and you will see what im talking about.

Sorry to bust in like this im new here and this is the topic that has been bugging me for a long time. I swapped all my cruise control stuff over to another legacy, the button the dash works, the relay clicks and all the hardware is hooked up and plugged in. but it still won't set like it used to. all the switches on the pedal cluster are from the old car. im stumped.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can see the two clutch switches in this picture. One is to complete the circuit to allow the car to start when the clutch is fully depressed, the other is for the cruise. When you touch the clutch pedal, it disengages the cruise.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/ima ... P_3232.JPG

I don't have a pic of the brake switch, but it's similar, just larger. It controls the brake lights coming on, and is tied to the cruise.

Here's wiring diagrams for the cruise
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... e_diag.jpg
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... ntrol1.jpg
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... ntrol2.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

peterd wrote:Sorry to bust in like this im new here and this is the topic that has been bugging me for a long time. I swapped all my cruise control stuff over to another legacy, the button the dash works, the relay clicks and all the hardware is hooked up and plugged in. but it still won't set like it used to. all the switches on the pedal cluster are from the old car. im stumped.
What year, model, & trans type car did you take the cruise stuff out of? Same question about the car you put the cruise stuff in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

peterd
In Neutral

Post by peterd »

Legacy777 wrote:
peterd wrote:Sorry to bust in like this im new here and this is the topic that has been bugging me for a long time. I swapped all my cruise control stuff over to another legacy, the button the dash works, the relay clicks and all the hardware is hooked up and plugged in. but it still won't set like it used to. all the switches on the pedal cluster are from the old car. im stumped.
What year, model, & trans type car did you take the cruise stuff out of? Same question about the car you put the cruise stuff in.
it came out of a 1991 legacy wagon 5sp and went into a 1990 legacy wagon 5sp

btw sorry for the hijack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmm......don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

peterd
In Neutral

Post by peterd »

Legacy777 wrote:Hmm......don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.
i drove my friends 90 legacy last night ad tested it out.. the relay over by the glove box will click when you push the button on the dash, when you engage cruise control you will also hear a click of a relay.. on my car i don't hear a relay click when i try and engage cruise control. :? since the dashboard has been removed and i know that all the parts i put on the car work i need to start looking into parts that were already on the car.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you hear a click when you press the cruise button on the dashboard?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

peterd
In Neutral

Post by peterd »

Legacy777 wrote:Do you hear a click when you press the cruise button on the dashboard?
yes the button on the dash causes the relay to click and the light to come on