Chip for stock ECU!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

TurboBeater
First Gear

Chip for stock ECU!

Post by TurboBeater »

Hey guys, there is now a plug-in chip available that works in the stock SS ECU. I helped work on it with a local company called Revtronix Tuning. Basically, my car was the test vehicle.

EDIT: Stage 2 Chip is now available, see link below. Partial dyno results on page 5 of this posting.
www.revtronix.com

I've been using the chip for 3 months already and it works great! I'm running 13 psi without needing an aftermarket boost control and the fuel cut limit was raised so I don't need an FCD.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know in case anyone might be interested.
Last edited by TurboBeater on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Have they done anything with Subaru TCU's?
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

hmm, very interesting since I'm to the point to to consider it. Does the company have any dyno / numbers for the upgrade? What bout the state 2 and 3 stuff -- whats the status of those? I'd like to know the nitty-gritty details of what ECU changes it makes...

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
TurboBeater
First Gear

Post by TurboBeater »

The TCU has been looked at, it would require soldering and an adapter board to modify. If there's enough interest I'm sure they would have a closer look.

The tuning was done using a custom-built accelerometer. I can post the graphs up for those tonight. We found that each gear would give a different AFR. It was tuned to give the best average performance in each gear, while preventing excessive EGTs in 4th and 5th. The stock AFR was around 10.5 - 10.8, the 91 octane chip usees about 11.0-11.5 AFR and the 93 octane uses 11.4-11.8 AFR (more timing added to lower EGT).

The stage 2 stuff should be done in a few weeks. I'm just waiting to install new injectors, pump and a different MAF. You'll be able to select which MAF and injectors you have in the Stage 2 and up chips.
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Sounds pretty cool.

What mod's do you have that they based the stage 1 around?
Are you going to get to an actual dyno? and do you have EGT results for your car with the chip? Some kind of loging would be nice to see the IDC, timing advance, knock, etc...

I'd need a stage 2 or maybe 3 chip if I were to go this route. So for now I'll put it in the maybe file. I like set it and forget it - especially for $2-300 (if it's safe and works ;-) )

thanks for the info!
-Chad
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i definately want to see this at the meet, nice work.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

do you have something for my car? mods below
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
ca18_sean
In Neutral

Post by ca18_sean »

Is this using the factory boost control solenoid to adjust boost to 13 psi, or 18 psi, or whatever you program, or do you use an aftermarket boost controller still? This seems like a good deal. I'm interested :)
1993 Legacy Turbo - SOLD
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

TurboBeater wrote:The TCU has been looked at, it would require soldering and an adapter board to modify. If there's enough interest I'm sure they would have a closer look.

A friend of mine is interested, as should anyone else with an auto and a decent setup using higher flowing heads. The main thing with the TCU is being stuck at the 6500 rpm redline whether you like it or not, even if you have a standalone.

Otherwise one could get a full-manual valve body, but that gets a little out there for a daily driver. Full line pressure all the time is not fun.
→Dan

94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Im fine with 6500rpms, the heads im using are from an RS and saw redline at 6500RPMS, im going to look into this, SOmething finally good came to Canada!

However, Stage 3 is considered a Turbo upgrade?
FastRust
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

That is awesome! Now I need a SS dammit!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

93forestpearl wrote:Full line pressure all the time is not fun.
Why not? Lots of detriot iron guys do it.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

If this is as promising as it sounds, sign me up for 2! Few questions:

Does the Subaru Select Monitor port still function? It would be nice to see some stock readings vs. the changes with this chip (primarily timing and IDC).

How do they plan on performing the stage "x" custom work?

Any other plans for utilization of the dual maps other than just 91/93 such as race gas or to control boost levels as well (I may not need tons of boost all the time)?

What's up with the stage 2 plan of "up to 18psi"? Intercooler or not, I don't think the VF11 is good for anything beyond the Stage 1 of 13PSI.

Would definitely like to see some charts and dyno numbers, maybe if someone from Revtronix chimed in here as well.
SUBARUEHS Racing
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

94SS_Canada wrote:Im fine with 6500rpms, the heads im using are from an RS and saw redline at 6500RPMS, im going to look into this, SOmething finally good came to Canada!

If someone is still on a VF11 or TD04, 6500 is fine. When you are running a GT3076R or a GT3782, a 6500 rpm redline is a bit annoying.

James614 wrote:Why not? Lots of detriot iron guys do it.

LOL, I'm not saying it can't be done, but damn, its a serious bitch on the street. Barking tires in traffic would get old, imo. lol
→Dan

ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Very interested... I would really like to see some documentation.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
TurboBeater
First Gear

Post by TurboBeater »

Wow, I wasn't expecting this much interest, cool!

Ok, I'll try to answer some questions.

For mods, I have a 3" catless downpipe, 3" exhaust, snorkel delete and coffee can mod. I'm still using the factory wastegate solenoid, the duty cycle and boost targets in the ECU have been remapped.

EGT gets up to 865-875C in 4th and 5th. Injector duty cycle peaks at 84%, and of course there is no knock! I can have data logs up tonight maybe. I could see if Revtronix would pay for a dyno, that would be interesting.

The 91/93 octane switch could be configured for other parameters. They are 2 completely separate calibrations so you can do boost, rev limit, etc.

The Select monitor still works so you can see what's going on, we used that to monitor knock and some other internal parameters.

Stage 3 is planned to be for turbo upgrades. Stage X would be for setups where you want to use your own boost control, then you can pick your injectors, MAF, boost cut limit, etc.

They're not saying 18 psi is what they plan to use for stage 2, but we'll test up to 18 psi and see where the gains max out. We hit 17 psi by accident during testing and it felt great in 1st gear but would knock in 3rd gear. An intercooler would help for sure. Also the boost should be brought back down to 13psi by redline to keep shaft speed reasonable, so most gains would be torque I think.
TurboBeater
First Gear

Post by TurboBeater »

OK, here's the accelerometer data. The graph is displayed in G's x 1000, so 500 on the graph = 0.5G's.
sublunacy
First Gear

Post by sublunacy »

yea keep the infow flowin , Im in.
"Hows the transition look?"
91 turbo manual
BMX in the trunk!!!
adema2626
Second Gear

Post by adema2626 »

You caught my attention I'm interested in this. How long until they get around to stage x? lol
-Aaron
93 Imp wag, 94 Imp wag WRX swap, 99 Imp Sedan WRX swap, 01 Imp Outback Sport, 05 Outback XT, 00 Outback, 98 Outback, 93 Leg touring, 93 Leg wag, 94 Leg wag lifted ej22t swap, 79 Brat 4x4 EA81 4spd d/r swap, 97 Crown Vic lifted
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

93forestpearl wrote:
94SS_Canada wrote:Im fine with 6500rpms, the heads im using are from an RS and saw redline at 6500RPMS, im going to look into this, SOmething finally good came to Canada!

If someone is still on a VF11 or TD04, 6500 is fine. When you are running a GT3076R or a GT3782, a 6500 rpm redline is a bit annoying.

LOL, I'm not saying it can't be done, but damn, its a serious bitch on the street. Barking tires in traffic would get old, imo. lol
Get a 6 speed for more gears, easiest solution from my point of view.

Also im seriously interested in a stage 3 chip, As ive done, turbo, heads, Exhaust, injectors, fuel pump and lots to come.
FastRust
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Could these chips be remapped? Say if someone went with the stage 2 chip, and then did upgrades that warranted stage 3?

I think you'll be surprised with how much interest you get. This is something a lot of people have wanted for a LONG time.

It would be nice to be able to build some sort of "calculator" that based the most effective chip upon your current mods, say if someone had a TD04 with 440 injectors VS. another with a VF8 and STI 550's. There are a few "standards" that most guys seem to be running, and it sound's like these stages will cover that, but just for those that deviate from the norm a little.

How in-depth of changes could this chip make? Launch Control, Antilag?????
SUBARUEHS Racing
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Stage-2 up to 18psi on VF11?! That's insane. The VF11 blows molten hot plasma at anything over 14 psi. Personally, I think the stage-2 chip should be for mild turbo upgrades like the TD04. Then make the stage-3 chip for more substantial turbo upgrades/modifications like the TD05-16G, VF-8, VF-39 etc.. Then the stage-x would be for the bigger GT series turbos, 18G/20G's etc... Just my opinion as the VF-11 is worthless at those higher boost levels.

Great job though and keep up the good work!
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

94SS_Canada wrote:
93forestpearl wrote:

Get a 6 speed for more gears, easiest solution from my point of view.

Also im seriously interested in a stage 3 chip, As ive done, turbo, heads, Exhaust, injectors, fuel pump and lots to come.

Its not about how many gears you have. If you have heads that flow very well up top and a much larger turbo, your power band extends furthur than the 6500 rpm redline. I have a 6 speed and a standalone, so I can set whatever redline I want. My friend has nice heads, a large-frame Garrett, and a well built auto that is a manual valvebody and spool conversion from being the full setup from BMS (Rigoli's tranny supplier). He is limited by the TCU to 6500 rpm even though he has a Hydra, which is annoying when the motor and turbo are good for much more.
→Dan

94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Hey, I Emailed the guy, Sounds like progress is good!

Progress on the Stage 2 should begin this weekend if all goes well. That will take at least 2 weeks to get perfect. Then we'll be able to start on the Stage 3 chip after that. The Stage 3 plan is to have a separate map available for each turbo, and then let the user select between medium and high boost with the program switch. There will be more customizable options too. We'll be starting with a VF22, which we have sitting here waiting to put on the test vehicle. As for other turbo maps, it will depend on interest and availability. We hope to map out the most common ones that Legacy owners use.
FastRust
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Damn

This is awesome.

I would be interested, but I am stage ??.

Intake, turbo, exhaust, stock MAF, stock injectors (still only running wastegate boost on the 16g, and I have 550 STI injectors and rails waiting to go in)
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS